9. Pemberton Old Wigan DW, Mark Bentham, 5
10. Friary Guildford Brass, Chris King, 10
11. Newstead Brass, Duncan Beckley, 7
12. GT Group Peterlee, Stephen Malcolm, 9
13. Old Silkstone, Chris Hirst, 14
14. BTM, Tom Davoran, 2
15. Norfolk Brass, David Stowell, 3

Youngest Player in the Section: James Barrow (St Dennis) - aged 14
Best Soloist: Soprano, Dale Garner, (Marsden Silver)

Brenda

S'pose you had to be there.
Well done Marsden - a result like this has been brewing for a while now. Congratulations!

Columbo

Good weekend at Pontins however something is bothering me.

A band, who competed in the 4th Section received their adjudication as normal, but when they read them, it was noticed that the numbers at the top of both were written by the same pen and the same handwriting.

The other strange thing is that one adjudicator has commented on very good intonation, strong confident opening, spot on tempi and given nothing but praise.

However, the other adjudicator complains about poor tuning and intonation, wrong tempi and basically everything against what the other has written.

Could it be possible for the organisers to make an error like this?

And what can the Band do about it?

Anyone care to comment???

Hey! Don't set me off!

In our remarks, the 1st movement was not even adjudicated. Had he fallen asleep!? By the way, our numbers are in the same pen also. I'm not sure what you mean exactly? We also had conflicting remarks. Not saying we deserved anything as we certainly did not, however very unhelpful remarks yet again.

Never mind, well done to well deserved winners and to the rest, keep on trying!

andyfake

Yes! Twice in the space of 2 days.

Be careful what you say, Mr Buckley and ABBA don't like criticism you will be recieving a letter or email with the heading:
"Privileged-in contemplation of legal proceedings
Re: Deflamatory statements published by you on the mouthpiece website.

I have framed mine and have hung it in a very special place.

Wayne Ruston
(just to save you time working out who i am)

Ooh! I wonder if 4br will be getting a letter! Not exactly pulling their punches on Section 2 results. We're happy though!;)

9foot

Good weekend at Pontins however something is bothering me.

A band, who competed in the 4th Section received their adjudication as normal, but when they read them, it was noticed that the numbers at the top of both were written by the same pen and the same handwriting.

The other strange thing is that one adjudicator has commented on very good intonation, strong confident opening, spot on tempi and given nothing but praise.

However, the other adjudicator complains about poor tuning and intonation, wrong tempi and basically everything against what the other has written.

Could it be possible for the organisers to make an error like this?

And what can the Band do about it?

Anyone care to comment???

The contest controller provides the adjudicators with all the adjudication sheets in a folder before going in the box. The adjudication sheets are blank except for the draw number which has already been filled in - this simply allows the adjudicator to know how many bands are competing and also avoid any confusion over any bands which have withdrawn as their adjudication sheet would be left blank or read "Withdrawn". So the hand writing / pen etc for the draw numbers will be same on all adjudications for the section. All other markings are made by the adjudicator.
:)

Kjata

Be careful what you say, Mr Buckley and ABBA don't like criticism you will be recieving a letter or email with the heading:

Wayne Ruston

Are you serious, twice in 2 days, does that mean that someone is constantly scanning tMP...?
Unless i'm very much mistaken ABBA works for banders, not the other way around? Don't they have anything better to do?

Last edited:

simonium

Wayne Ruston

Defamatory surely?

Bayerd

Wayne Ruston

I want one!

(something needs to hang on the back of the bog door)....

To libel or not

I think that the laws on libel in this country don't affect someones right to an opinion. There is nothing wrong in 'expressing ones opinion' that the results at one or other brass band contest do not meet with your own thoughts. It would of course be libelous to infer that the decision was anything other than 'made in good faith'

There are a number of people who jump on those who make critical comments. I would suggest that if you want to live in a world without critiscm (especially those who put themselves up as experts - brass band adjudicators), then move to China or Tibet or Indonisia or Iran or....

Be happy!

Bayerd

How many sops are you allowed to play at pontins? I believe marsden played more than one sop...

No rule broken there, you can play as many sops as you want up to the overall limit of 25 brass players. Tredegar regularly play with 5 basses and drop a cornet (I think). Again, well within the rules.

Bass Man

They fielded 4 of Fodens finest player too. No rules broken but a bit unsporting of them i thought.

I disagree, if you need deps then you find the best ones possible. Luckily for Marsden they happy to have a link with Fodens in Glyn Williams. When I used to play for Felling and deps were required we would look to Reg Vardy for support

4thmandown

Wayne Ruston

I'm surprised you haven't cut it into squares and used it.

Personally, I think they should take their letters, insert them and set light to them, in the hope that it'll burn some sense into them! I get more stick off my pupils on a daily basis!