Poll: Best SA Festival Piece

Cantonian

Maestro said:
Especially the 2nd movt (I think it is) of Songs Of The Morning

The words being 'Begin the day with God' our kind BM decided once to play this before the Sunday morning (10am) meeting. As solo horn you may imagine that I was overjoyed.....not!

Thats only a top C on the horn!!
A Piece of cake! :wink: ( I jest!!!) My dad loves playing that on sop too especially the final rendition of the verse before the big climax where the sop has the counter melody up an octave (or two) from what the euph did at the start.

Rootus Maximus

How about:

The Holy War - RSA
Symphony of Thanksgiving - Dean Goffin
Arise, My Soul Arise - Dean Goffin
Celestial Prospect - Wilfred Heaton
My Strength My Tower - Dean Goffin
The Triumph of Peace - Eric Ball
Laudate Dominum - Edward Gregson
Songs of the Morning - Eric Ball
Daystar - RSA
Easter Glory - Dean Goffin
Jubilation - James Curnow

Every time I see a new posting, I remember fantastic pieces that I had forgotten about.

It just goes to show how lucky the SA has been to have such good music available for use!

In no particular order:

The Lord is King
Praise
Corpus Christi
Macabeus
My comfort and strength
Toccata Oh the blessed Lord
Symphony of thanksgiving
Shine as the Light
Kingdom Triumphant
King of Kings
Present Age

I could go on but better not!!!

P_S_Price

The words being 'Begin the day with God' our kind BM decided once to play this before the Sunday morning (10am) meeting. As solo horn you may imagine that I was overjoyed.....not!

This must be part of the BM's Torture club then. Ours did that to us too (Cold - 1st Piece)!

pbirch

lots of great pieces from great composers (not much from George Marshall though). does anyone else think that the latest offerings from the Army are very poor in comparison? there is a lot of bland boring music, with little musical challenge (unless you play solo cornet or euphonium) and little in the way of challenge to the listener.

Aussie Tuba

I don't think many on here would have heard of or had the chance to see much of George Marshall's work or that of his friend Herbert Mountain. Both favourites from My Early Days. My Grandfather tutored me using George Marshall's Marches.

P_S_Price

We still play pieces by George.

However his Songster Pieces are probably more widely used I would have thought.

Red Elvis

Marshall's marches still seem to be in favour - Dyke recorded a few of them on the recent CD's of SA marches - "Soldiers of Christ" probably being my favourite although Dyke take it a litle too fast for my liking ( although the sleeve notes make a point of saying that all the marches are played at original tempi so I'm probably too used to hearing it milked by others !! ).

Played "Army of the Brave" at my first divisional music school which was a real challenge at the time , and I'm also a fan of his extended treatment of "Horbury" ( by way , I gather that this was the original tune for "Nearer my God to Thee" and as such was the tune that the band played as the Titanic went down rather than the more popularly known ( these days ) "Bethany" ( which is a different "Bethany" to the tune of the same name in the SA tune book by way ) - I really need to get out more !!).

Perhaps his music does sound a little dated by todays standards , but at the time his influence on SA banding was analogous to that of Percy Fletcher and his contemporaries on the contesting scene , in that MArshall was one of the first to start penning original and extended works for bands.His notable personal life also stands as something of an inspiration as well.

Unfortunately , I gather that his widow was left in an extremely parlous state after his promotion to glory and its to the army's shame that she was not looked after properly.

i think alot of this music would make good test pieces. assuming a bit of rescoring could be done to loose the split parts on 1st trom etc though.

do you think any of these pieces provide a good test at the regionals? particularly maybe in sections 2 to 4, where a good lyrical but challenging piece might be really appreciated. after all the comment on resurgam for section 2 next year, would any of these be better?

thanks.

Red Elvis

A lot of them have been used Berkshire baritone , not neccessarily at Regionals but at other contests , especially own-choice.

"My Strength My Tower" was the second section piece at the Nationals in 2008 , and "Ratcliff Highway" was I think a first section piece at regionals / nationals some years before. "Celestial Prospect" was used at Torquay for the Nationals in second or third section (i think ) back in 2002 /2003.

At own choice , I've heard bands play "Laudate Dominum", "The Present Age", "Song of the Eternal" amongst others.

As for "Resurgam" , I think its a cracking choice , as do a lot of my chums that play in second section bands.Technically , not an SA piece though as R Smith published it first and then S P&S were given permission to do so.

Aussie Tuba

A lot of them have been used Berkshire baritone , not neccessarily at Regionals but at other contests , especially own-choice.

"My Strength My Tower" was the second section piece at the Nationals in 2008 , and "Ratcliff Highway" was I think a first section piece at regionals / nationals some years before. "Celestial Prospect" was used at Torquay for the Nationals in second or third section (i think ) back in 2002 /2003.

At own choice , I've heard bands play "Laudate Dominum", "The Present Age", "Song of the Eternal" amongst others.

As for "Resurgam" , I think its a cracking choice , as do a lot of my chums that play in second section bands.Technically , not an SA piece though as R Smith published it first and then S P&S were given permission to do so.

"Resurgam". I seem to remember mentioned in the Eric Ball DVD some one quoting Eric Ball as Saying " Gentle Men Resurgam has come Home " The First time it was played By the ISB in rehursal.
With the melodies used and the overall tone of the compsition I think we can claim it as SA
I have played it in a SA Band and have also played it in a Contesting Band for a Test . I Still Think it is Great.
But Then I Love Eric Ball's Music. Seems I Like a lot of the old Classic Composers.

GJG

We have played "Laudate Dominum" & "Warrior Psalm"(RSA) at Folkestone (own-choice) and also "Call of the Righteous"(Condon) and "Psalm of Praise"(Curnow) at the (sadly) now-defunct Milton Keynes Ents. contest. Also used Condon's "Celebration" at entertainments contests as well.

At one stage we were working up "Daystar"(RSA) for Leamington Spa, but substituted "Moorside" as a run-out for the quailifiers instead. Hope to still do "Daystar" at some point, though ...

Always thought "Holy War" would make an excellent 1st section qualifiers ...

P_S_Price

Song of the Turtles (our nickname for S o t Eternal) would be challenging to quite a few bands I think, but Chamiopnship section should cream it really.

One of the recent pieces that I found challenging was Glorifico Aeternum. But as a band we are struggling with Leizdens None Other name. The core issue is that all of the parts are important as some point, and the bell effect of the theme at the beginning is hard to balance up for lesser bands like ourselves.

PeterBale

Staff member
. . . as a band we are struggling with Leizdens None Other name. The core issue is that all of the parts are important as some point, and the bell effect of the theme at the beginning is hard to balance up for lesser bands like ourselves.

Leidzen's music can be tricky to balance, both for players and conductors, not least because there are often three or four different dynamics in operation at any one time. Same applies to the band writing in his solos - so much more subtle than many from outside the Army, where the difficulties are in the solo part and the accompaniments are actually quite dull.

masterharper64

I'm sure it must be. We also had the Orange and Blue Unity series books with gems such as Melodies from Great Composers and Kasangulu. I had to be able to play Merrily Onward and Llanfair from the Orange book before I could join the YP band.

Ah,memories!;) Llanfair was the first piece I played which wasn't a straight hymn tune!

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.