Playing in the morning!!!

Emb_Enh

There are four main reasons why many people find morning playing difficult which all affects lip response/efficiency:

1. their lips are still slightly swollen from sleep/playing the day before.

2. the PH balance in their mouth after sleep takes time to level out.

3. They have shaved which removes some of the lip sensitivity.

4. They have brushed their teeth which affects no. 2 above.

or...

a combination of ALL of the above [or other stuff]

ANSWERS =

1. their lips are still slightly swollen from sleep/playing the day before.
learn to warm down properly the day before/and warm up properly every day. Also learn to play without using so much mpc pressure which originally causes the swelling.

2. the PH balance in their mouth after sleep takes time to level out.
chew some gum / or find something that gives YOU the right acidity level
3. They have shaved which removes some of the lip sensitivity.
use non-camphor-alcohol based shaving foam, ladies mind the soap on lips

don't brush your teeth close to playing time. If you 'have to'- see no. 2 answer, as toothpaste has a drying effect on the PH level in your mouth

I hope some of this helps....

I have written numerous materials which can be bought from me in the UK.
RoddyTpt@aol.com

I would like to give away some FREE copies of the books to people who contact me first. They are self analysis books, which don't suggest an embouchure change and can be used in conjunction with any method you or your teacher currently use.

The only proviso is that if they read and like them or think them useful [or not] maybe they could right a brief synopsis about the books on this website.

Ginge

Thanks for all the help!

I think it's just mouth muscles not being in use long enough before playing in my case. I have found it a lot easier after buzzing or any sort of exercise of the lips.

Thanks again for the help!!!

lynchie

an early morning fry up usually does the trick for me... grease up the ol' embouchore (sp?)! Shaving used to cause me all sorts of trouble, but I found that if I go and play a few scales straight after it's nott to bad, it's only if I leave it for an hour or 2.

Vickitorious

Emb_Enh said:
don't brush your teeth close to playing time. If you 'have to'- see no. 2 answer, as toothpaste has a drying effect on the PH level in your mouth

?? :? I find it easier to play after I've brushed my teeth! But then again, I am a bit odd! :p :roll: What I normally do if I'm playing early is brush my teeth and then buzz on my mouthpiece for ages!

Cornishwomble

Does 10 pints of stella and a King Prawn Vindaloo the night before affect ph levels?
If so that could answer a lot of questions :?

MoominDave

Emb_Enh said:
I have written numerous materials which can be bought from me in the UK.
RoddyTpt@aol.com

I would like to give away some FREE copies of the books to people who contact me first. They are self analysis books, which don't suggest an embouchure change and can be used in conjunction with any method you or your teacher currently use.

The only proviso is that if they read and like them or think them useful [or not] maybe they could right a brief synopsis about the books on this website.

Assuming that they are also intended for Trombone, I'll try that, if the offer's still open.

Nice website, by the way - amazing sound clips; I should have turned my speakers down first, though...

Dave

Emb_Enh

Drying effect--PH level ---too alkaline.
=========================
Dave Trombone - email me [I have trom players NY USA]

Andy_Euph

I'm not exactly nuts about playing in the morning especially as i'm just about to have my lesson with Dave Thornton. As soon as i get anything above middle C or above mp then i'm knacked. Just hope i don't get shouted at too much :)

Seedhouse

I think if you keep at playing in the morning it will get better, but it's just the physical state your body is in from sleeping in awkward positions during your sleep.
I always had problems with it, but over time it's got better.
My lessons with Trevor Groom, I have to get up at 8, to get to the lesson for 10.30 which gives me plenty of time to wake up!!! :lol:
But there are bound to be problems with early morning playing if you are not used to it.

Product tMP members are discussing