PJBE quiz

Dave Payn

A quick quiz about the Philip Jones Brass Ensemble. PM me with your answers, please. Please do not post them here. Thanks.

1.Name the two dates that the Philip Jones Brass Ensemble were founded and disbanded

2.Which group were formed out of the demise of the PJBE?

3.In what year did their main tuba player, John Fletcher, die?

4.Although the PJBE recorded Eric Crees’ arrangement of Bernstein’s West Side Story Suite, for which brass ensemble was this originally arranged?

5.Which five movement work did Ground Force composer Jim Parker contribute to the PJBE repertoire?

6.On which Paul McCartney film did the PJBE feature visually and aurally?

7.The PJBE provided the theme music to which ITV comedy series, which ran between 1978-81?

8.What ground-breaking recording did the PJBE make between October and December 1977?

9.Which two original works did the conductor and composer Andre Previn write for the ensemble?

10.When Elgar Howarth arranged Pictures at an Exhibition for the PJBE, on what major symphonic brass work (also recorded by the PJBE) did he base his orchestration?

Dave Payn

Hey, I win! (No one entered.... :cry: :wink: )

Here are the answers, for what they're worth! ;-)

1.Name the two dates that the Philip Jones Brass Ensemble were founded and disbanded

1951-1986

2.Which group were formed out of the demise of the PJBE?

London Brass

3.In what year did their main tuba player, John Fletcher, die?

4.Although the PJBE recorded Eric Crees’ arrangement of Bernstein’s West Side Story Suite, for which brass ensemble was this originally arranged?

LSO Brass

5.Which five movement work did Ground Force composer Jim Parker contribute to the PJBE repertoire?

A Londoner In New York

6.On which Paul McCartney film did the PJBE feature visually and aurally?

Give My Regards To Broad Street

7.The PJBE provided the theme music to which ITV comedy series, which ran between 1978-81?

Bless Me Father

8.What ground-breaking recording did the PJBE make between October and December 1977?

Pictures at an Exhibition

9.Which two original works did the conductor and composer Andre Previn write for the ensemble?

Four Outings and Triolet

10.When Elgar Howarth arranged Pictures at an Exhibition for the PJBE, on what major symphonic brass work (also recorded by the PJBE) did he base his orchestration?

Gunther Schuller's Symphony for Brass and Percussion

PeterBale

Staff member
And I'd sorted out my PJBE and London Brass cds to do some checking up in work today :twisted: