Pieces that could do with being recorded

Brian Kelly

T-Horn said:
odin - aurthur butterworth.
play at nationals about 1985. I think
Never found a recording for it.

I thought it was on the Arthur Butterworth CD that Black Dyke made a few years ago.

I could be wrong, though....

tim

does anyone know of recordings of Derek Bourgeois Euphonium Concerto and Arthur Butterworth's Partita for euphonium???

Also don't know if there is a recording of Derek Bourgeios' Tuba Concerto which is a mammoth work.

On a slightly lighter scale, I have fond childhood memories of playing 'Indian Summer' by Eric Ball and don't know if there's a recording of that. Also Ball's 'Challenge and Response' which whilst probably not one of his better works is still a good composition. Another two of Eric Ball's compositions which I don't think have recordings are 'The Prospect Before Us' (his last published SA work) and 'Sanctuary'.

Just to be utterly SA parochial - Is there a recording of RSA's 'Melodies of Grieg'?

Paul Drury
Edinburgh Gorgie SA Band

Mark Bousie

The Butterworth Partita for Euphonium is on Steven Mead's World of the Euphonium Vol.1 (Polyphonic). The Bourgeois Euphonium Concerto has not been recorded, as far as I know.

Indian Summer (having spent quite a lot of the last week researching Youth Band original works, not just cos I'm a font of uesless information!) is recorded on the 1999 Regional Test Pieces CD (Doyen).

I should get out more!

euphoria

Hi Paul

Mark just beat me to it, but I can add that Sanctuary has been recorded by London Citadel Band on Excelsior and by Chalk Farm Band on Emblem of the Army.

Cheers Erik

Rootus Maximus

johnflugel said:
I would like to hear the following recorded:
2) The Old Wells - An Eric Ball classic! Plenty of older recordings around it would seem (infact I think the man himself conducted the Rosehill Band on an old 78 record) but I would like to hear a 'Dr King Essays' version of this!

Good choice John. Our band played it last year for a while and I got to play the wee Eb Bass solo in it. I'd also love to hear his March "Hoist the Flag"

There is a march called "The Golden West" which Upper Norwood recorded on a 78rpm in 1939 which is a real smasher but I don't know who wrote it.

Razor

Gorgie boy said:
Another two of Eric Ball's compositions which I don't think have recordings are 'The Prospect Before Us' (his last published SA work) and 'Sanctuary'.

I have a CD by London Citadel band that includes 'Sanctuary'. Another great piece which would be a suitable inclusion on an 'Essays 4' were it ever to happen. Not aware of any other recent recordings, I think Chalk Farm recorded it pre CD era.

Brian Bowen

Gorgie boy said:
Also Ball's 'Challenge and Response' which whilst probably not one of his better works is still a good composition. Another two of Eric Ball's compositions which I don't think have recordings are 'The Prospect Before Us' (his last published SA work) and 'Sanctuary'.
"Challenge and Response" appeared on the LP "Summer Festival" (live from the Fairfield Halls back in the 1970s) played by the Australian Box Hill Band - for whom it was written.

"Sanctuary" is beautiful music. I think it was the first of his pieces to be published by SP&S following his return to the SA. It's probably rarely played in concerts, although I did it with the New York Staff Band at the Royal Albert Hall in 1992.

There are a number of band pieces that may be difficult to programme yet would be ideal on a CD. The medium allows music to be experienced, perhaps introspectively, without distraction. It may well be that many players are unaware of such music if they work solely on concert programmes. Perhaps a list of this type of music would be useful to record producers.

Roger13

'Wuthering Heights' (Austin Rayner). To my knowledge only ever recorded once, back to back with 'Les Preludes' by Fairey's on a Paxton 10" LP circa 1967. A gloriously dark composition full of big tunes, and surely worthy of another airing after 36 years? As an aside, does anyone know of any other work by this composer?

Dave Payn

Regarding the Walton/Howarth Spitfire Prelude and Fugue, the Philip Jones Brass Ensemble recorded it on an album entitled Fanfare on the Argo label back in the mid 1970s and it's on at least two currently available compilation PJBE discs, but I'm not sure which ones! I think it's on Greatest Hits (2 disc collection) and British Music for Brass which was deleted and then re-released last year. Greatest Hits is only available via the Internet, but the British disc should be available from larger HMV stores as well as the Internet. (if I've got the compliations right!)

From a brass ensemble take, (I know that wasn't asked for, but I will anyway!) I'd like London Brass to record Pictures at an Exhibition as what I would consider to be a fascinating alternative to the PJBE recording. Alternatively, (again for brass ensemble) I'd like to hear a recording of Paul Patterson's Deception Pass.

Brass band wise? I'd like another band to record Suite Gothique. Apologies if this offends, but I wasn't impressed with Dyke's recording on The Essential Dyke - President's Choice! (Rest of the CD's excellent, mind!) Also, I'd like to hear a band record Harold Nash's arrangement of Brahms's Variations on a Theme of Haydn (used, I believe as the old section section choice for the Nationals in 1987? A very taxing sop part, but I'm sure many of our top bands' sops would do it justice)

Razor

Another SA piece that would merit an up to date recording is 'Lord of the Sea' by RSA. Can't think of any recent recordings of it.

James Yelland

Dave Payn said:
Regarding the Walton/Howarth Spitfire Prelude and Fugue, the Philip Jones Brass Ensemble recorded it on an album entitled Fanfare on the Argo label back in the mid 1970s and it's on at least two currently available compilation PJBE discs, but I'm not sure which ones!

The Fanfare album, including the Walton, is in fact available on CD, on the Marcophon label. You will find it on the Midland CD Club website, along with five other Argo label PJBE recordings. I have written to Decca urging them to reissue all those classic Argo albums, but to no avail - so far.

James Yelland

[quote="Brian Kelly

I thought it (Odin) was on the Arthur Butterworth CD that Black Dyke made a few years ago.

I could be wrong, though....[/quote]

Yes, you are :!:

Dave Payn

James Yelland said:
Dave Payn said:
Regarding the Walton/Howarth Spitfire Prelude and Fugue, the Philip Jones Brass Ensemble recorded it on an album entitled Fanfare on the Argo label back in the mid 1970s and it's on at least two currently available compilation PJBE discs, but I'm not sure which ones!

The Fanfare album, including the Walton, is in fact available on CD, on the Marcophon label. You will find it on the Midland CD Club website, along with five other Argo label PJBE recordings. I have written to Decca urging them to reissue all those classic Argo albums, but to no avail - so far.

Ah, so THAT'S where to find them. I'd heard about the Marcophon re-issues. Thanks for the info!

As for Decca, I guess it's just a case of them re-issuing those compilations. A lot of the works they recorded are now available on several compilations via the Internet (20th century album, Greatest Hits, Lighter Side, Music for the Royal Court - a 2CD compilation not to be confused with the PJBE's last Decca release, Music from the Courts of Europe) Going slightly off track, I'd also like to see someone re-release a few Locke Brass Consort LPs (Contrasts in Brass vol. 1 and 2 particularly)

skweeky

i dont know if anyone has heard the brass band arrangement of "Ross Roy" by Jacob De Hann but its a fantastic piece and little known so i think it should be recorded :wink:

andywooler

Supporting Member
Straightmute said:
and virtually everything by Paul Patterson....D

Chromascope was recorded live a few years back - I'm sure it was the European's - one of my favourites I have to say.

Brian Kelly

James Yelland said:
[quote="Brian Kelly

I thought it (Odin) was on the Arthur Butterworth CD that Black Dyke made a few years ago.

I could be wrong, though....

Yes, you are :!:[/quote]

:oops:

Brian Kelly

Razor said:
Gorgie boy said:
Another two of Eric Ball's compositions which I don't think have recordings are 'The Prospect Before Us' (his last published SA work) and 'Sanctuary'.

I have a CD by London Citadel band that includes 'Sanctuary'. Another great piece which would be a suitable inclusion on an 'Essays 4' were it ever to happen. Not aware of any other recent recordings, I think Chalk Farm recorded it pre CD era.

"Sanctuary" was on "Emblem of the Army", Chalk Farm's last CD, released in 2001/2. Maybe still available from "World of Brass"?

Brian Kelly

Razor said:
Another SA piece that would merit an up to date recording is 'Lord of the Sea' by RSA. Can't think of any recent recordings of it.

Intrada Brass from Canada recorded it in 1995 on a CD called "The Music of Ray Steadman-Allen".

Pondasher

From 1945-1990 all National test pieces were recorded. However, in the same period for the Open, the following were never recorded on to LP: -

1945 - Pride of Race (Kenneth Wright) - Winners, Fairey
1946 - Salute to Freedom (Eric Ball) - Winners, Bickershaw Colliery
1947 - Henry V (R. Maldwyn Price) - Winners, Fairey
1948 - Music for Brass (Denis Wright) - Winners, CWS (Manchester)
1962 - Island Heritage (Helen Perkin) - Winners, Fairey
1986 - Fusions (Howard Blake) - Winners, Black Dyke

It is a shame that during this period these are the only test pieces missing from our historical discography. It may be that some have been recorded on to CD and, if so, I would appreciate details.

Keith

www.euph9.freeserve.co.uk/quinn.htm