Pieces that could do with being recorded

PeterBale

Staff member
Sorry about the clumsy wording of the heading, but I couldn't think of anything else that was reasonably short.

There have been a number of recordings, or series of recordings, covering brass band "classics". Such a choice is always going to be personal, and there will be omissions that you may regret. With that in mind, I wondered what pieces you think could do with being recorded, either new works for the first time or half-forgotten classics - even something that is unknown, that you think has been unduly overlooked.

To kick off with a couple:
1. Gilbert Vinter's "The Trumpets". I have an old tape, taken from a radio broadcast many moons ago, and also heard it played at the Royal Academy of Music a few years ago. By the nature of things, not a piece you're likely to hear every day, but definitely a masterpiece - imagine getting someone like Thomas Allen to take the baritone solo!

2. Ray Steadman Allen's "Fantasia for Piano & Band - Christ is the Answer". Ever since I heard this on one of the first SA lps I bought, I've loved it, for all its reliance on "Rhapsody in Blue" in places. I've been fortunate to play it a couple of times (on bass, not piano :shock: ), and have heard Bram Tovey play it twice, once with a scratch band at the Clarence Adoo concert, and once with Fodens, and would suggest that combination would be ideal for an up-to-date recording. Maybe they could include Gregson's ""Concertante for Piano & Band" while they're at it.

What would be on your wish list?

johnflugel

I would like to hear the following recorded:

1) Thy King Cometh - a major SA work by Leslie Condon. The NYSB used it in 1978 for the SA's Congress Festival. To my knowledge the only recording available is the LP/Cassette from that night. Would love to hear it aired by a top band of today.

2) The Old Wells - An Eric Ball classic! Plenty of older recordings around it would seem (infact I think the man himself conducted the Rosehill Band on an old 78 record) but I would like to hear a 'Dr King Essays' version of this!

3)Variations by Heaton - I am sure that this will be recorded soon but I would prefer to hear a live version. Faireys performance at the RNCM the other week was sensational. Did anyone sneak a mini disc in?!!? Let me know if so. I prefer live recordings: Heatons Partita performed by Fodens/Brittania was recorded during the BBC Festival of Brass 1992 and it was amazing - Dyke then did a studio recording of it in 2001. Despite some excellent playing from Dyke, for me it did not have the verve and excitement of Fodens/Brittania and am certain that this was to do with the cut/paste nature of studio recording. Interestingly enough, Nick Childs played end euph for the 1992 performance under Howard Snell and then conducted 'Dyke' in the mentioned studio recording 10 years later.

John

Vickitorious

Richard III - Walton , (I have found it on CD but not the full version.) It has so much power in it towards the end, and , it's got one of the nicest tunes ever! :D it's one of my favourites!!!!

Spitfire Prelude and Fugue - Walton - Elgar Howarth.

johnflugel

WorldofBrass.com said:
Vickitorious said:

Not aware of this version although Rothwell have recently recorded the G.Roberts version on their CD called Spitfire;
http://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/21196.html

Speaking with my neutral cap on :wink: - Gordon's arrangement of this Walton music is really excellent. On the same Cd you will find the 'March & Siegfried Music' from the Battle of Britain Suite. Some truly great music.

John

WorldofBrass.com

johnflugel said:
2) The Old Wells - An Eric Ball classic! Plenty of older recordings around it would seem (infact I think the man himself conducted the Rosehill Band on an old 78 record) but I would like to hear a 'Dr King Essays' version of this!

Look out for the volume containing Salvation Army music in the series The History of Brass Band Music :wink:
Can't promise but fingers crossed for you!

johnflugel

WorldofBrass.com said:
johnflugel said:

Look out for the volume containing Salvation Army music in the series The History of Brass Band Music :wink:
Can't promise but fingers crossed for you!

I thought that this may be included - fabulous music. Mr Ball has written a number of other pieces since..I gather :wink:

WorldofBrass.com

johnflugel said:
WorldofBrass.com said:
Vickitorious said:

Not aware of this version although Rothwell have recently recorded the G.Roberts version on their CD called Spitfire;
http://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/21196.html

Speaking with my neutral cap on :wink: - Gordon's arrangement of this Walton music is really excellent. On the same Cd you will find the 'March & Siegfried Music' from the Battle of Britain Suite. Some truly great music.

John

Believe me, this is a very good CD and deserves more sales!
One of these days I'll get around to writing a review of it for the WoB site.

Straightmute

There's a lot of really good contemporary music not available. on CD.

My personal favourites would be the two Birtwistle pieces (Grimethorpe Aria and Salford Toccata) and virtually everything by Paul Patterson and Nigel Clarke. But that's just the tip of the iceberg...

D

James Yelland

People have already mentioned The Trumpets - and along with Horovitz's Samson, Peter Maxwell-Davies The Peatcutters and Bram Tovey's recent Requiem would make a stunning brass/choral double CD. Salford Toccata, definitely (Grimethorpe Aria has been recorded on CD by the RAM Brass).

Other than that, Bourgeois's Concerto No. 2, Paul Steinitz's Tableaux of Heraldic Animals, Thea Musgrave's Variations (I have a feeling that Heaton's Variations may be on the way).

And in quite another vein, a CD of Roger Payne's music is long overdue, especially The Little Swallow and The Happy Prince. :) Aaaahhhh.

Just my two euro's worth.

James Yelland

PeterBale said:
Gregson's ""Concertante for Piano & Band"

I'm not sure if you're suggesting this piece hasn't been recorded - but for the record, it is on the 1988 National Gala Concert CD.

PeterBale

Staff member
I do have the tape of that one (1989?). but I was just thinking it would make a fitting companion piece.

Following on from those who've mentioned contemporary works, I know they're not so new any more, but I'd like to see Paul Patterson's pieces recorded - Cataclysm and Chromascope.

GJG

I have an LP recording of "Chromascope": Volume II of a series called "English Brass", made by Besses, under Ifor James, on the Pye "Top Brass" label in 1978.

Other items on the recording are: "Severn Suite", "Variations" (Vaughan-Williams), and Ifor James' transcription of the "Canzon Duodecimi Toni" (Gabrieli) - I dare say in 1978 this was pretty 'far-out' stuff for a brass band record!

Doubt you could find the recording on sale now, of course; and I'm not saying "Chromascope" wouldn't be worth a re-visit............

Regards,

G.

James Yelland

GJG said:
I have an LP recording of "Chromascope": Volume II of a series called "English Brass", made by Besses, under Ifor James, on the Pye "Top Brass" label in 1978.

Other items on the recording are: "Severn Suite", "Variations" (Vaughan-Williams), and Ifor James' transcription of the "Canzon Duodecimi Toni" (Gabrieli) - I dare say in 1978 this was pretty 'far-out' stuff for a brass band record!

I too have that recording. It was news to me at the time that Gabrieli was English! (Even the transcriber was Welsh!)

No doubt it was considered way-out in 1978 - in brass band circles. Everyone else would have taken it in their stride :(

drummerboy

They've been mentioned before, but definitely Christ is the Answer and the Heaton Variations. Though I'd hope if a band records them, they do them properly, not some rush job.
Also another excellent piece [blatant plug here] is Fantasies for Band by David Morgan (my bro). Should be recorded (in its full) or published or something. It's a great piece.

euphoria

Since I am already searching for this recording in here, it's fair to say that I would like a recording of it :D - Introduction and allegro by Gareth Wood.

I would also like to hear Concert Overture for Brass by Willem Tausky. I think that Faireys did a recording of it around 1970 but I haven't forund it(I believe it was the set piece for the nationals in 1972 or thereabout).

Mark Bousie

Maunsell Forts by John Mcabe. This piece took a lot of stick when it was premiered at the 2002 Open (quiet ending, not difficult enough?), but musically speaking I couldn't really understand this as it has some fantastic sounds in it in the composer's own inimitable style. I know the winning performance was broadcast on Radio 3, but surely it is deserving of a commercial release soon, particularly considering that some significantly 'weaker' pieces (I won't mention any titles) have been recorded so many times.

Mark Bousie

Odin-apart from the recording of the winning performance by Desford, I don't think there is one. I agree with you, Odin is a fine piece and Arthur Butterworth is quite an underated composer in the brass band world.

Morghoven

drummerboy said:
Also another excellent piece [blatant plug here] is Fantasies for Band by David Morgan (my bro). Should be recorded (in its full) or published or something. It's a great piece.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I should like to point out that no money has changed hands for the placing of this plug...in fact I didn't even know it existed until now!! Still, thanks bro...

Dave (with much embarrasment)