Pieces that could do with being recorded

brassneck

I'm surprised that no studio recordings exist of Atlantic Toccata and The Pendle Witches by Nigel Clarke. Those, and many other premieres from the BBC Festival Of Brass series during the '90s would be welcome in my CD collection. Apart from them, I would like to see recordings of Ciacona Seria (Henk Badings), Caliban (Arthur Butterworth) and Aubade (Howard Blake-Watkins).:cool:

PeterBale

Staff member
lynchie said:
Has anyone (other than the outstanding Youth Brass 2000 ;)) recorded Minuano by Pat Metheny?
"Minuano" is on the Listen to the band compilation "Going Solo", and "Best by Farr" by Eikanger-Bjorsvik Musikklag.

brassbailey

Straightmute said:
There's a lot of really good contemporary music not available. on CD.

My personal favourites would be the two Birtwistle pieces (Grimethorpe Aria and Salford Toccata) and virtually everything by Paul Patterson and Nigel Clarke. But that's just the tip of the iceberg...

D

I remember doing a concert in my Newham Band days at the Dorchester music festival in the late seventies where we premiered a piece called Chromoscope by Paul Patterson.This was conducted by Ray Farr.I don't know if this has been recorded by I haven't heard it since.

The Grimethorpe aria was recorded by the BBC several years ago when both the Dyke and Grimethorpe played at the Proms,the first time brass bands have ever been invited.....trouble is they haven't been back since!!!!superb performance.

Chris Bailey
Solo Trombone,Becontree Brass.

Straightmute

brassbailey said:
I remember doing a concert in my Newham Band days at the Dorchester music festival in the late seventies where we premiered a piece called Chromoscope by Paul Patterson.This was conducted by Ray Farr.I don't know if this has been recorded by I haven't heard it since.

Great piece! But it was actually premiered at the 1974 Harrogate International Festival by Besses o' the Barn, conducted by Ifor James. They later recorded it on the Pye English Brass series, but it's never appeared on CD to the best of my knowledge.

Apologies for being an anorak.

D

JR

Straightmute said:
Great piece! But it was actually premiered at the 1974 Harrogate International Festival by Besses o' the Barn, conducted by Ifor James. They later recorded it on the Pye English Brass series, but it's never appeared on CD to the best of my knowledge.

D

Imps recorded it for Bandstand about 20 yrs ago with Ray Farr conducting. They also played Elgar Howarth's trombone concerto with Ian Bousfield as guest soloist
I think I'm right in saying that Ian also sat second trombone with the band on the night and sight-read Chromoscope - an amazing sound
I was in the audience for the Besses premiere - Paul Patterson was brought on stage as i remember (v long hair)
Besses were due to play an avant garde piece for electronic tape and band but the tape broke down...
They also replaced a programmed Vinter piece with James Cook Circumnavigator -presumably because it was that year's Open test...
Now that really is anorak-like!

john roberts

brassneck

Chromoscope is a great piece of music and was one of the pieces that changed my views of brass band music in my early teens (still sounds fresh today). More surprised that it has not been used at any contesting level since then. That, and Echoes by Tim Souster (... many thanks to John Wallace bringing his music back on disc recently) gave me optimism for the development of contemporary band music at that time. Only recent works by Paul Patterson I could buy on disc for brass were the Royal Eurostar pieces performed by David Honeyball & The London Brass Virtuosi (1996, on Hyperion Label CDA66870). Heard the title track Royal Eurostar at the Glasgow Brass Extravaganza a few years ago. He has his own website:- http://www.paulpatterson.co.uk/index.html . Maybe time to ask him to write a new opus for our movement?

Straightmute

brassneck said:
Maybe time to ask him to write a new opus for our movement?

Great idea, but he's only one of a couple of dozen composers I'd like to commission pieces from, if I had the money and could persuade them that composing for band was a good idea.

Ironically, Paul Patterson's style has changed over the years so a Patterson piece of today might be much more accessible band audiences.

D

brassneck

heheheh! I will get my tatty nylon anorak armed with pencil and notebook and start listening to the clips provided on the site! Royal Eurostar cannot be seen as being representative because of the celebratory aspect of it's commission.

PeterBale

Staff member
"Chromoscope" was played in one of the first Brass Arts Festival events at Regent Hall - can't recall which of the London college bands it was, but it was in their free lunch-time concert. I remember being quite impressed at the time, feeling that it should be programmed more frequently.

brassbailey

Straightmute said:

D

Thanks for that...just think all these years and I thought the Newham Band were the first to play it.!!!!!! I would add to my last mail that Paul Patterson was at the performance,what jogged my memory was his 'long hair' previously mentioned!!

Chris Bailey
Solo Trombone Becontree Brass

brassbailey

Brian Kelly said:
I thought it was on the Arthur Butterworth CD that Black Dyke made a few years ago.

I could be wrong, though....

Anyone remember 'A Dales Suite' By Arthur Butterwoth, I played this easy piece when I was a kid in our school Band (some years go now!!) I believe it was published by Hinrechsen....any takers on this????

Chris Bailey
Solo Trombone Becontree Brass

brassneck

A Dales Suite was on the Besses LP 'English Brass, Vol.1' (1976), with Moorside Suite, A Downland Suite and Ifor James' own work 'Solitude'.

brassbailey

brassneck said:
A Dales Suite was on the Besses LP 'English Brass, Vol.1' (1976), with Moorside Suite, A Downland Suite and Ifor James' own work 'Solitude'.

brassneck... many thanks for that...now to find the L.P.!!!!!!!!!!!

jpbray

Keith Quinn has done his best for me and he can't find it so the chances of it existing as a recording is probably nil. Threrfore, if any band out there is thinking of doing a CD please record Eric Ball's "English Country Scenes" not because it is the greatest piece of music ever written, but because I have put my anorak, and am trying to collecct recordings of test peices I have played. :) :)

gazrose

Fantasia for Piano and Band

PeterBale said:
Sorry about the clumsy wording of the heading, but I couldn't think of anything else that was reasonably short.

There have been a number of recordings, or series of recordings, covering brass band "classics". Such a choice is always going to be personal, and there will be omissions that you may regret. With that in mind, I wondered what pieces you think could do with being recorded, either new works for the first time or half-forgotten classics - even something that is unknown, that you think has been unduly overlooked.

To kick off with a couple:
1. Gilbert Vinter's "The Trumpets". I have an old tape, taken from a radio broadcast many moons ago, and also heard it played at the Royal Academy of Music a few years ago. By the nature of things, not a piece you're likely to hear every day, but definitely a masterpiece - imagine getting someone like Thomas Allen to take the baritone solo!

2. Ray Steadman Allen's "Fantasia for Piano & Band - Christ is the Answer". Ever since I heard this on one of the first SA lps I bought, I've loved it, for all its reliance on "Rhapsody in Blue" in places. I've been fortunate to play it a couple of times (on bass, not piano :shock: ), and have heard Bram Tovey play it twice, once with a scratch band at the Clarence Adoo concert, and once with Fodens, and would suggest that combination would be ideal for an up-to-date recording. Maybe they could include Gregson's ""Concertante for Piano & Band" while they're at it.

What would be on your wish list?

Kettering Citadel SA Band released a CD last Saturday and choice number two is on it. Performed by Rob Clark (former ISS pianist and Pianist to the Rolyal Ballet, London)

Here's a link to buy: http://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/21313.html

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.