Pieces that could do with being recorded

jonford

Member
skweeky said:
i dont know if anyone has heard the brass band arrangement of "Ross Roy" by Jacob De Hann but its a fantastic piece and little known so i think it should be recorded :wink:

There is a recording on this CD, don't know what its like though:

http://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/21212.html

Can't remember who its by but I really like that piece you played in Holland called Of horses and cowboys?

I would really like to hear that piece again with the Sitar that Black Dyke played at the RNCM festival, The Legend of Sangeet by Philip Harper
 

Razor

Member
Brian Kelly said:
Razor said:
Another SA piece that would merit an up to date recording is 'Lord of the Sea' by RSA. Can't think of any recent recordings of it.

Intrada Brass from Canada recorded it in 1995 on a CD called "The Music of Ray Steadman-Allen".

Brian

Thanks for reminding me about the Intrada CD. I'd completely forgotten about it partly because it's now missing from my CD collection. :x

I must try and remember who I loaned it to!!

Off the top of my head I think it also included Go Down Moses and Daystar.
 

Aidan

Active Member
haha well i doubt i can really say in case things get changed etc :p and i don't know a release date.
 

Razor

Member
Definately one to look forward to. :D

Some RSA numbers that I would love to see recorded by a band of YBS stature include

Fantasia for Piano and Band - Christ is the Answer
At the Edge of Time
Lord of the Sea
Romans 8
Daystar
Go Down Moses

Fingers crossed for some of these to be included.
 

Aidan

Active Member
a few pieces that may or may not make the cd could include
lord of the sea
on a ratcliff highway
evening hymn
in quiet pastures
romans 8
hymn at sunrise
the beacons
 

Brian Kelly

Active Member
Razor said:
Brian Kelly said:
Razor said:
Another SA piece that would merit an up to date recording is 'Lord of the Sea' by RSA. Can't think of any recent recordings of it.

Intrada Brass from Canada recorded it in 1995 on a CD called "The Music of Ray Steadman-Allen".

Brian

Thanks for reminding me about the Intrada CD. I'd completely forgotten about it partly because it's now missing from my CD collection. :x

I must try and remember who I loaned it to!!

Off the top of my head I think it also included Go Down Moses and Daystar.

Here's the play-list:

Hadleigh Camp
Go Down Moses
Pavillions of Praise
Rhapsody on Negro Spirituals
Floodtide
Southdown
Lord of the Sea
Happy in the Fight
God's Soldiers
Daystar
St Magnus

I am looking forward to the new YBS recording, but I would be surprised if it includes "On Ratcliffe Highway" as it is on "Essays in Brass" volume 1.
 

John Brooks

Well-Known Member
One piece I have always liked and would love to hear one of today's top bands play is Roccoco Variations on a Theme of Tchaikovsky by Alan Street. I have an old Paxton recording by Black Dyke with I believe, Tommy Waterman on Soprano. It was also recorded by City of Coventry under Albert Chappel. It's a great piece and sounds like fun to play.

Anyone share my opinion?
 

PeterBale

Moderator
Staff member
In answer to various requests, one or two responses, mainly on lp, though.

"Challenge & response" - as Brain Bowen pointed out, on an lp entitled "Summer Festival", played by Box Hill Citadel Band from Australia, recorded live at the Fairfield Hall, Croydon. I must say, having played this on BBb bass, it is one I reckon is better to listen to than to play - lot of work down the bass end for little effect!

"Melodies of Dvorak" was recorded on an old Canadian Staff Band lp, "Gospel Train", and also by Manchester Citadel Band on "Sounds Mancunian" (1979).

The march "The Golden West" is written by Dudley Bright, currently Principal Trombone in the LSO and Bandmaster at the Ilford Corps. It was recorded by the Canadian Staff Band on the lp "New Horizon", and also appears on a double cd they produced with the Chicago Staff Band in 1999 entitled "CSB/2...Together Again."

"Lord of the Sea" was included in the Meet the Composers festival at the 1978 congress, played I believe by Enfield, but unfortunately only the second half made it onto the recording. It also appears on Birmingham Citadel's lp "Poem" (1989) and the double lp "Festivity", recorded at the Albert Hall in 1982 - not sure offhand which band, or whether it is all included (may be in a vocalised version).

Mention was made of "Fusions" and I was sure I had a recording, but it does not appear in my index - may just have been taped from a "Bandstand" broadcast.
 

Bariman

Member
PeterBale said:
In answer to various requests, one or two responses, mainly on lp, though.

The march "The Golden West" is written by Dudley Bright, currently Principal Trombone in the LSO and Bandmaster at the Ilford Corps. It was recorded by the Canadian Staff Band on the lp "New Horizon", and also appears on a double cd they produced with the Chicago Staff Band in 1999 entitled "CSB/2...Together Again."

Hey I think Peter Bale may have made a mistake! :shock: :shock: :shock:

"The Golden West" on the CSB recording New Horizons was by (Percy?) Merritt not Dudley Bright.
 

WorldofBrass.com

Active Member
Gorgie boy said:
Another two of Eric Ball's compositions which I don't think have recordings are 'The Prospect Before Us' (his last published SA work) and 'Sanctuary'.

Just to be utterly SA parochial - Is there a recording of RSA's 'Melodies of Grieg'?

Paul Drury
Edinburgh Gorgie SA Band

Sanctuary is available on Emblem of the Army recorded by Chalk Farm Band ; http://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/24568.html
We've got (quite) a few left!

Unfortunately, I can't help with The Prospect Before Us and Melodies of Grieg.

Incidentally, isn't the Dudley Bright march with 'West' in the title called 'Spirit of the West'?
 

PeterBale

Moderator
Staff member
WorldofBrass.com said:
Incidentally, isn't the Dudley Bright march with 'West' in the title called 'Spirit of the West'?
You're dead right there - both you and bariman, and that's the one on the CSB/2 cd referred to earlier, whilst the Percy Merritt "Golden West" is on the New Horizon lp. Incidentally, other recordings of "Spirit of the West" include london Ciadel's cd "Guardian of our way" (1997), a tape entitled "Mainly marches 2", by Monkwearmouth and Norwich bands (1989), and the ISB lp "Valiant heart" (1983).

Sorry for any confusion :oops: :oops: :oops:
 

Bariman

Member
[quote="PeterBale] You're dead right there - both you and bariman, and that's the one on the CSB/2 cd referred to earlier, whilst the Percy Merritt "Golden West" is on the New Horizon lp. [/quote]

I only remember "The Golden West" as my father always refers to it as "The Golden Vest" march :!: :roll:
 

Dave Payn

Active Member
John Brooks said:
One piece I have always liked and would love to hear one of today's top bands play is Roccoco Variations on a Theme of Tchaikovsky by Alan Street. I have an old Paxton recording by Black Dyke with I believe, Tommy Waterman on Soprano. It was also recorded by City of Coventry under Albert Chappel. It's a great piece and sounds like fun to play.

Anyone share my opinion?

I agree, a favourite of mine too, but there is a more recent recording on the Polyphonic label by BNFL/Richard Evans. I THINK the CD was called Un Vie de Matelot but wouldn't swear to it.

Hope this helps
 

Brian Bowen

Active Member
Nadia said:
a few pieces that may or may not make the cd could include
lord of the sea
on a ratcliff highway
evening hymn
in quiet pastures
romans 8
hymn at sunrise
the beacons
A CD of music by Ray Steadman-Allen recorded by YBS sounds a very worthwhile prospect. In keeping with their Polyphonic series of Salvation Army music, will it be titled R-Essay's?
 

WorldofBrass.com

Active Member
Brian Bowen said:
A CD of music by Ray Steadman-Allen recorded by YBS sounds a very worthwhile prospect. In keeping with their Polyphonic series of Salvation Army music, will it be titled R-Essay's?

The most recent releases by YBS have been on our Egon label (Bourgeois in Brass, Simple Gifts and the forthcoming Peter Roberts CD, Legend).
If the RSA CD goes on Egon too then I doubt that we would be able to use any reference to Essays in the title. :roll:
 

johnflugel

Active Member
Brian Bowen said:
A CD of music by Ray Steadman-Allen recorded by YBS sounds a very worthwhile prospect. In keeping with their Polyphonic series of Salvation Army music, will it be titled R-Essay's?

Thats a poor gag Brian but I guess the 'Essays' title was a cheesy pun anyway!

Another piece I would like to hear recorded would be Brian Bowen's own transcription of music by Rimsky Korsakov entitled 'Kaleidascope' (not to be confused with this years 2nd section area piece) - Cappricio Espagnol, Scherazade and Dance of the Tumblers are all within the work. Enfield Citadel produced a stunning recording of this back in early 1980's but I recently heard a recording of Desford (circa 1990) performing Cappricio Espagnol (arr Wilkinson) which made me think what an amazing job one of our top bands would do with it now.

Anyone know it (other than Brian?!)

John
 

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.

 
 
Top