Pieces due for a comeback

rutty

Doesn't Howard Snell look a bit like a certain Man U goalkeeper:

snell_howard.jpg

Sorry to disappear off topic - just checked out the 4BarsRest site and there he was!

davidsait

Fishsta said:
Narnia suite? Was that actually based on C S Lewis's books?
It was based on the music from the film of the books by C S Lewis. And yes it was class, because we won that particular contest!

Dave Sait

Straightmute

rutty said:
Doesn't Howard Snell look a bit like a certain Man U goalkeeper:

snell_howard.jpg

Sorry to disappear off topic - just checked out the 4BarsRest site and there he was!

But check out our members page on the Harrogate website and you'll see that in his spare time he plays BBb bass, using the alias Eddie F. Scary.

I'd love to say that we had Ruud van Nistelroy on the front row but it just isn't true.

D
www.harrogateband.org

Fishsta

Maybe we should make ANOTHER thread about Brass Band lookalikes...

I've got a pic somewhere with ALL the Registration card pictures of my old band... what's it worth to post? :D

cornetgirl

Straightmute said:

I'd love to say that we had Ruud van Nistelroy on the front row but it just isn't true.

D
www.harrogateband.org

No offence Mr MD but would we WANT Van Nistelroy on the front row????

We're mad enough as it is without anyone else to add to the levels of insanity (why do you think I'm having a vacation for Rochdale!!!!)

R

McEuphie

Amparito Roca

OK is there anybody who hasn't played Amp Roc?

We play it regularly to finish our summer concerts - we're not organised enough to set programmes so the band knows we're finished when this gets played.

yorkie19

I'd like to play 'The Best of the Seekers' - not!

I can remember playing Dirty Donkey (Die Felsenmuhle) when I started banding about 20 years ago. Bring it back, I say.

I'd also like to see Journey into Freedom back in the pads.

Sam

Roger Thorne

Journey Into Freedom - Fantastic Music.

BBb: 4 bars before 15 - make sure you play the quaver rhythm correctly. It is usually (but wrongly) played as a triplet! :wink:

Another great piece that deserves more time is Vaughan Williams' Variations for Brass Band.

Brian

Music due for a comeback

Hows about....Beatrice and Benedict..(Berlioz/Wilkinson) California Legend...(Broughton) Fusions..(Blake) Galaxies..(Davis) Oceans..(Richards) Rococo Variations..(Street) Scheherazade Suite (Ord Hume arr) 40minutes long if you play all four scores.. Symphonic Music..(Huber) Waverley Overture..(Berlioz/Snell) Wuthering Heights..(Raynor) Now those are class pieces !!!!!!!

midwalesman

pieces....

I'd like to see Pagannini and Devil and the Deep Blue Sea or perhaps, Finale from Shostakovich 5 or Tchaikovsky 5 or Instant concert!!

HBB

At YWDB we recently played Oceans by Goff Richards and won (can't remember when, coz we've played it about 3 times alltogther!), so in our band - it wasn't a revival, but an eye-opener, did you know that ALL 7 oceans are in there (spoke to Mr. Richards @ the SCABA Composers and Arrangers workshop!!!)

;)

Straightmute

One piece I remember enjoying as a kid was Samum - a symphonic foxtrot (?) by Carl Robrecht. Does anyone still play it? Would love to hear it again.

D

Wonky_Baton

One piece I remember enjoying as a kid was Samum - a symphonic foxtrot (?) by Carl Robrecht. Does anyone still play it? Would love to hear it again.

I loved this piece too and played it loads of times in the 70's, also as a kid, with Hetton band. When I took over at Dunston, I found it in the library and couldn't wait to try it. However it sounded horrendous, especially that bit in 26 sharps. The band hated it and I had to put it back in the cupboard never to see light of day again. :cry:

Players maybe need to be of a certain age to enjoy it. :roll:

Boneman

We have recently been playing Samum. The band liked it.

Personally I would like to see 'Academic Festival Overture' used more often - I heard it recently played by Black Dyke, and it was a cracking piece.

I have looked at the 4barsrest pieces for revival, and one piece I would disagree shoul dbe bought back is Vinter's 'John 'o' Gaunt' - I do not like this piece!

Simon.

Roger Thorne

Straightmute said:

D

What's a symphonic foxtrot?

I remember playing this one many years ago, but I haven't heard it played since. Has it ever been recorded?

Boneman

Roger,

I have a recording of this piece from Malcolm Westbrook (a recording from a good few years back). It was recorded recently by Black Dyke on their 'Essential Dyke 2' album (about 5 years ago I think).

As for what a Symphonic Foxtrot is . . . . I haven't the foggiest!

Simon.