Pieces due for a comeback

Boneman

I remember 'Forest of Dean' well - I liked it, however that might have something to do with the fact that we came second on it, and qualified for London!

I also remember 'Maoriana' which I seem to recall not liking one bit! - however that might be because we came last on this piece!! I am very fickle in my criteria for liking a piece!

There seems to be a few works that get used for regional contests that then seem to disappear! There was a Michael Ball piece also used as the top section area piece - it was either 'Hammer of the North' or 'Frontier' - My memory fails as to which it was!

Mrs Fruity

That piece was Frontier - I remember thinking it was interesting but quite strange - obviously I hadn't heard Harrison's Dream or Praaaaaague then!

Mrs Fruity

That piece was Frontier - I remember thinking it was interesting but quite strange - obviously I hadn't heard Harrison's Dream or Praaaaaague then!

Heather

Are you pressing submit twice??
Once you've pressed it you have to wait a bit for the message to be entered and submit comes up again, but you don't need to press it again.
Hope this makes sense!!

midwalesman

new music

I think its about time that Devil and the deep blue sea returns. Also Ragtimes and Haberneras ( badly spelt ) by Hans Werner Henze, all of Robert simpsons works, Contest Music ( Heaton ), Leonardo ( Wilby ) , Isiah 40 ( Redhead ).

Richard Jones

Brighouse and Rastrick

BoozyBTrom

Ohhh what peices would i like to see back!!! I will have to limit myself to a short list as I would be here all night.

Rienzi ( If thats the correct spelling)
Life Divine
Benvenuto Cellini
Zampa
Macarthur Park ( Catheralls Arrangement of course)

OOHH and finally St Micheals Mount ( sentimental reasons for that. We won at london on it ahh those were the days)

:p :p :p

nickjones

Intoduction and Allegro on a bass by Max Reger -Robert Simpson. never been used as a test , magic music
Energy - Robert Simpson. brilliant test why has it only been used at the 1990 Open and the 1991 Nationals?
Odin - due for a resurgance?
Seascapes - only one use at the 1988 Nationals
Forest of Dean - used at the 1993 area ( 1section ) and only used at the Championchip section at the Mineworkers at Blackpool a few years ago.

Isnt it sad with all this good music that bands have to be force fed the overtures and arrangements over and over again , just shows lack of respect to the conductors and bands by the competition organisers.
In my own opinion , Les Preludes , Roman Carnival , Benvenuto Cellini are good pieces for a concerts.

Humphrey

Does anybody remember Shakespearean Rhapsody? I think it was by Reginald Heath and I remember it had a nice Euph solo in it. Pieces due for a comeback: Anything by Gilbert Vinter!

Ali

Try the Arcadians, Blenhiem Flourishes, The Corsair, the bronze horse and the three tromboneers for yellow copies. AS for more recent material I would like to see Phillip Sparkes Partita pop up again. That and Midsummers Music which brings back fond memories of winning Harrogate in 1998.

At a concert the band i'm in did last Sunday we pulled out a few oldies that proved to be hits...

- Beaufighters (Concert March) i reckon this is an awesome piece
- Serenade (Bourgeois) another great piece i reckon...

We've also played other oldies in practice recently such as 'Light Cavalry' and 'Nebuccadonosor' and these seem really good pieces..and very effective ones for training tha band to player better technically...

what do other tMPers think of these pieces..and their value as aids in improving a band as a whole...?

PeterBale

Staff member
Ali said:
Try the Arcadians, Blenhiem Flourishes, The Corsair, the bronze horse and the three tromboneers for yellow copies.

"The Arcadians" was on the first bandstand programme I played with Coventry Festival Band, the Sunday after my first practice with them :wink:

Good music and well worth reviving to bring a bit of variety to a programme.

Blagger

Here's a few more to add to the pot :

The Beacons - played it in the 1990 areas i think
Seascapes - Great piece
Henry V - if you have a 3rd section band with a good powerful sound then give this a run through- the slow section is beautiful AND it doesn't sound like a lower section piece like so many do nowadays :eek:

Garry Lannie

8)
what about variations on a theme by haydn composed by Brahms arr by Nash used a quite a few years ago as top section regional piece i remember this as a great piece with some wonderful music and great sounds for us brass bander's i thinks it was also used as a second section finals piece (before the introduction of the 1st section)
and another favorite of mine has to be triumphant Rhapsody by Gilbert Vinter bring em back !!!!

MattB

Ok, how about these...........

Sousarama- Siebert
Scottish Rhapsody- Fernie
Shipbuilders- Yorke

Anyone seen any of these recently? If only there were more on here from littleborough they could say "yes Matt, we have, because you got them out last week"!!

jambo

I think it must be time for 'Tancredi' to make a come back.

Spent many a summer with that on the concert programme in my early banding days.
:shock:

Andy_Euph

I heard and saw Prometheus Unbound, for the first time the other week. What a fantastic piece, wouldn't mind playing it out.

I also like Glemedene and Bramwyn, different march to the type normally played.

Meerkat

I've fairly recently changed bands and found it refreshing to see both Arcadians and Tancredi in the summer pad, also Doyen and Trailblaze which I havn't played for some time. No sign of Hootenanny as yet! having played it continuously during the past 28 years I think I'm due a break. :D

jonford

Meerkat said:
I've fairly recently changed bands and found it refreshing to see both Arcadians and Tancredi in the summer pad, also Doyen and Trailblaze which I havn't played for some time. No sign of Hootenanny as yet! having played it continuously during the past 28 years I think I'm due a break. :D

Doyen and Trailblaze are ace, as well as Golden Lady!

Don't like Hootenanny but Instant concert is still appealing to audiences!