Pieces due for a comeback

Straightmute

Thanks - will look up the Dyke recording.

I can only guess that the composer was trying to be part of the movement in the 20s and 30's which attempted to integrate popular music with symphonic stlyes: Rhapsody in Blue, the music of Les Six, Hindemith's and Shostakovich's jazz-inspired pieces etc. all seemed to point towards an attempt to make the new dance forms converge with the world of 'serious' music. Maybe Mr. Robrecht was trying to get in on the action.

So what else did he write...?

D

Boneman

I have just checked on Amazon.co.uk - and they have the 'Essential Dyke2' album - and you can even download a bit of Samum to listen to if you like!

The album is £11.99 - Which to be quite honest is a bit steep - It is a OK album, but I can think of plenty better at this price! (NB I got this album from 4bars rest for £2.50 on cassette - I have checked but they don't appear to have it any longer. (It was part of 10 cassettes for £25 - which they still do, but this title doesn't appear on the list any more).

As for what else Robrecht wrote, I have never heard of him before, or since.

Simon.

Curious

How about "mauriana" by Butterworth. Brilliant to play as long as your maths was upto it. Nightmare for conductors I would guess!!

BigHorn

Curious said:
How about "mauriana" !!
Well if your'e passing it around I'm sure we won't say no - but how do you manage to still read your music.... No wonder your conductor has nightmares.

WhatSharp?

homocidalbennyboy said:
At YWDB we recently played Oceans by Goff Richards and won (can't remember when, coz we've played it about 3 times alltogther!), so in our band - it wasn't a revival, but an eye-opener, did you know that ALL 7 oceans are in there (spoke to Mr. Richards @ the SCABA Composers and Arrangers workshop!!!)

;)
It was Hove last year (jeez these yongesters minds like... err.... those thingumajigs with lots of holes in em... Tea Bags.. Thats It!... I think :( )

:D

Roccoco Variations was used as a second section test peice a few years ago in the areas...

billbrass

:D when I was a boy just learning 4th sec band the test piece was
"THE GOLDEN AGE" I can hear everyone saying how old is this guy but it is a piece that always sticks in my mind, cadenza's for the corner men looked easy to play until you tried anyone know of the Golden Age being recorded I think they had recordings in those days!!! another of my old favs is "Morning Noon Night"
brilliant music to both play and listen to.

billbrass

Straightmute

Simpson said:
I can't belive nobody has mentioned either Resurgam or Sounds.
I think that in in order to make a comeback, first they have to go away! Both great pieces and fortunately neither seem likely to fall into neglect.

D

Boneman

Simpson - Looks like you got your wish, I believe that Resurgam is to be used this year at Pontins for the First Section.

Hopefully there will be some cracking performances of this great work!

Simpson

Unfortunatley Simon I don't play in the first section but I'm Looking forward to hearing it though. I do play Trombone though Allegedly !

How about Liedzen's Sinfonietta........Variations on a Ninth.......Fantasy for Brass Band. Whatever happened to Seascapes and Odin after they were used in the RAH in the '80s? :lol:

Mrs Fruity

From the Land of Ice and Fire!!!

What a coincidence, Hornblower RN! My husband had just said I should suggest Odin, then we read your message! And Mr Quinn, Trevor Groom is a sainted name in our household, as you know, third only to Saint Derek of Jackson and the wonderful Mr Whitham!(Can you tell who it is yet???)
PS My personal favourite in the test pieces due for a revival is Cloudcatcher Fells, although wasn't it used at the Masters a while back? :?

Boneman

Does anyone remeber the piece 'The Beacons' by Ray Steadman-Allen, it was used as the top section area test piece c1990. I think it was also played at the British Bandsman's Centenary Concert.

I have never heard of it being used since? Does anyone recall this piece (I seem to remember that it was quite good!)

Owen

I remember Beacons - I also recall that it got a massive cheer on the British Bandsman Concert recording. Fairly sure I still have the cassette somewhere around, so will have to look it out. I agree though, I remember it being quite a good piece.

Picking up on the theme of First Section test pieces (Resurgam, Maoriana et al), I still recall my first ever contest in the 1st section in the early 90s on The Forest of Dean, based on a theme by Howells (can't remember who was responsible for the whole work). I don't think I have heard it played since then. Come to think of it, I haven't heard Maoriana since it got used at the areas either!

Straightmute

Owen said:
I still recall my first ever contest in the 1st section in the early 90s on The Forest of Dean, based on a theme by Howells (can't remember who was responsible for the whole work). I don't think I have heard it played since then.
Forest of Dean is from the pen of Derek Bourgois. I've heard it a couple of times since then but agree it should be played more often.

Cheers

D

Forest of Dean was the set test piece for 1st section in Treorci last November..we came last LOL. :wink: However with Resurgam as own choice in Ammanford in September we had 1st prize :roll:

Curious

Hornblower RN said:
Forest of Dean was the set test piece for 1st section in Treorci last November..we came last LOL. :wink: However with Resurgam as own choice in Ammanford in September we had 1st prize :roll:

Hiya mate.

I've just about worked out which end of the trom to blow!!

See you in band tonight.

Sel