Photocopying Issues!

James Yelland

I trust that this thread will be recalled the next time someone starts complaining about the cost of a set of the next test piece they have to buy!

Or the next time someone starts complaining about number of typos in the music (which would be reduced if the publishers could afford decent proof readers).

Roger Thorne

april_fool.gif

OK Folks - time to own up. Yep this was a wind-up. Apologies if you've spent the day destroying 'evidence' but it was only a bit of fun.

We would like to apologise to John Martin, who at 1.47 am this morning posted the fact that this was an April Fool. Unfortunately the mods have spent most of the day deleting Johns posts! as not to spoil our fun. Cheers John - you're a star.

Oh and Lynchie - you can calm down now! :lol: :lol:

We'll leave the thread open for your comments!

:oops:

Dave Payn

Roger Thorne said:
april_fool.gif

OK Folks - time to own up. Yep this was a wind-up. Apologies if you've spent the day destroying 'evidence' but it was only a bit of fun.

We would like to apologise to John Martin, who at 1.47 am this morning posted the fact that this was an April Fool. Unfortunately the mods have spent most of the day deleting Johns posts! as not to spoil our fun. Cheers John - you're a star.

Indeed, Copyright Regulations About Photocopying has its own distinct acronym.....
;-)

Keppler

Staff member
Tis all in the name of good fun ;)

Everyone notice how Roger was able to produce official-sounding BS on request ?
hehe

lynchie

Roger Thorne said:
april_fool.gif

:oops: I still say you owe us all a drink then...

Smid

Photocopying

Sorry Roger for jumping in on your thread but I have a question about photocopying!

Is it okay, by law that is, to take a photocopy of parts score etc if you already own the music as for instance as a backup copy incase you lose an original part?

Also is it okay, by law again that is, to provide a photocopy to another body if they can prove ownership of a peice of music?

Thanks

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
Re: Photocopying

Smid said:
Sorry Roger for jumping in on your thread but I have a question about photocopying!

Is it okay, by law that is, to take a photocopy of parts score etc if you already own the music as for instance as a backup copy incase you lose an original part?

Also is it okay, by law again that is, to provide a photocopy to another body if they can prove ownership of a peice of music?

Thanks

Hi Smid

We have all the answers to your questions in the Copyright FAQ we prepared. Take a look here [url broken] and you will hopefulyl find answers to all yoru Copyright questions.

Hope this helps... :)

John

Last edited by a moderator:

paddo

Good one fella' BUT you do have a point. I used to suffer greatly with couples scanning MY images (wedding photos) for friends and family. Just so they didn't have to pay for a reprint!

Then I went digital about 4 years ago and now proof images on CD-ROM which is encrypted, can't print, can't copy and I can even set a date for the software to lock up.

It's a shame that you have to go to such lengths to ensure you have an income.

Good one though''

Pondasher

A great wind-up Roger, not being smart but I guessed it was.

On a serious note - music purchased from the Salvation Army bears a red stamp to show that they are the originals.

Since Salvation Army music became available to non-S.A. bands several years ago, I can honestly say that out of the numerous bands I have either permanently played for, or deputised at a concert, there is only one band that used the originals!

Apart from that one 'honest' band, the rest used copies that showed the stamp in black, i.e photocopies.

I wonder how much revenue and profit composers, publishers and the total brass band movement is losing?

A partial control could easily be introduced for contests in that the contest controller could have somebody to do a quick check on bands at the 'signing-in stage' with the threat of disqualification.

I do appreciate that this would only really work when the test piece was not a new composition.

I wonder, has any band ever been threatened, or even prosecuted for Breach of Copyrite?

Brian Bowen

Pondasher said:
Since Salvation Army music became available to non-S.A. bands several years ago, I can honestly say that out of the numerous bands I have either permanently played for, or deputised at a concert, there is only one band that used the originals!

Apart from that one 'honest' band, the rest used copies that showed the stamp in black, i.e photocopies.

I wonder how much revenue and profit composers, publishers and the total brass band movement is losing?

By the way, composers receive no royalties from the sale of SA music. Their music is a gift/donation. (But unauthorised copying is still wrong.)

Pondasher

Thanks Brian - you are absolutely correct about royalties to composers of S.A. music. In the case of composer's royalties I was referring to the loss of sales revenue and profit on non-S.A. music to the total brass band movement.

Overall, the loss to the S.A. will be in lost revenue and the related profits to S. P. & S.

I wonder if one of the reasons for so many Salvationist composers now writing non-S.A. music, is the opportunity for them to earn royalties.

Also, perhaps they brought pressure to bear on the S.A. decision makers to agree to the rule changes made some years ago?

Keith Quinn