Phobile moans

bruceg

The fraying was sorted in later models by filing the edges of the holes in the cans and inserting a small plastic ring. And in answer to your question, I did actually find myself making a real live voice call last night - it was weird but I survived the experience :)

Dave Payn

bruceg said:
The fraying was sorted in later models by filing the edges of the holes in the cans and inserting a small plastic ring. And in answer to your question, I did actually find myself making a real live voice call last night - it was weird but I survived the experience :)

I'm waiting for one of the mods to adopt Graham Chapman's military persona from Monty Python and tell us 'Stop that. It's silly' (aka 'Back on topic, please! ;-))

bruceg

Dave Payn said:
I'm waiting for one of the mods to adopt Graham Chapman's military persona from Monty Python and tell us 'Stop that. It's silly' (aka 'Back on topic, please! ;-))

In that case we owe it to ourselves to see just how long they'll let us get away with it :D

How did voice quality suffer when you tied another piece of string to the middle of the existing one to attach another can for a conference call? ;)

Dave Payn

bruceg said:
Dave Payn said:

In that case we owe it to ourselves to see just how long they'll let us get away with it :D

How did voice quality suffer when you tied another piece of string to the middle of the existing one to attach another can for a conference call? ;)

Usually didn't affect it unless of course, you forgot to empty the coke tin of its contents first. The coke was usually of a sufficient combustion to immediately erode the string and therefore makes calls nigh on impossible, so in the end you'd have to text the old fashioned way (paper, pen, Sellotape - you couldn't pull it across the string if the coke had eroded it) as mentioned earlier which did, I think you'll find, make life inconvenient.

bruceg

Several good points there. One significant advantage of leaving the contents in the can would be the increased text range possible over that of an empty can (air resistance used to be a major text inhibitor).

Dave Payn

bruceg said:
Several good points there. One significant advantage of leaving the contents in the can would be the increased text range possible over that of an empty can (air resistance used to be a major text inhibitor).

Of course, there was always the debate as to whether tins of Pepsi, Coca-Cola or a cheap brand gave better signal reception. Some swore by the cheap brands (some swore AT them when they actually tried to drink the stuff....)

bruceg

I always thought that the cheap brands did nothing for the signal quality but certainly did reduce the overall cost per text when one considers the number of undelivered texts...

Dave Payn

bruceg said:
I always thought that the cheap brands did nothing for the signal quality but certainly did reduce the overall cost per text when one considers the number of undelivered texts...

And the coke tins also pioneered the 'bolt-ons'. If you drank enough coke (20 tins) per month (Pepsi and Coca Cola only - cheap brands were 'spew-as-you-go') they'd supply you a biro to 'text' with. 30 tins and you'd get a free writing pad too.

bruceg

Back in the old days you also had the fully detachable ring pulls that could be broken apart and used to fire the ring part at the intended text recipient thus allowing for an alerting mechanism to signal the impending arrival of a priority text.

The empty cans also made for an interesting alternative interpretation of PAYG when caught short at sporting events or concert venues...

Dave Payn

bruceg said:
Back in the old days you also had the fully detachable ring pulls that could be broken apart and used to fire the ring part at the intended text recipient thus allowing for an alerting mechanism to signal the impending arrival of a priority text.

The empty cans also made for an interesting alternative interpretation of PAYG when caught short at sporting events or concert venues...

Which at least often tasted better than the coke that was originally in the tin.....

And of course, the most obvious benefit of the coke tin over modern mobiles is that the tins lasted longer than the batteries we use today, (unless of course, you used them for the version of PAYG that Bruce so accurately describes) and were cheaper to replace, (unless you were a 'bolt-on'* freak as desrcibed earlier)

*Not to be confused with Bolton freaks; those who incessantly worship at the shrine of Jay-Jay Okocha nowadays, but in the days of 'coke-tin mobiles' worshipped at the shrine of a certain N Lofthouse and occasionally S Allardyce when he was a player.

flugelgal

jameshowell said:
I know what you mean, Though I think the mobile phones you are on about are the "cool" gimmicky phones aimed at youngsters, whose hands are small enough not to have trouble operating them with small buttons!

YOUNGSTERS!!! How to make an old woman feel VERY old James! (and you seemed like such a nice young lad too!).

I have a lovely Sony Ericsson T300 which has tiny buttons but is fine for me. I am, however, hoping that phones don't get any smaller otherwise I'll lose mine! I have seen some blokes with big hands have problems with smaller phones though. I can only assume that manufacturers will continue to design models with larger keypads for this group of people though.

(and doesn't "Panda Cola" work? I thought it was one of the more effective brands)

Kirsty

Dave Payn

flugelgal said:
jameshowell said:
I know what you mean, Though I think the mobile phones you are on about are the "cool" gimmicky phones aimed at youngsters, whose hands are small enough not to have trouble operating them with small buttons!

YOUNGSTERS!!! How to make an old woman feel VERY old James! (and you seemed like such a nice young lad too!).

I have a lovely Sony Ericsson T300 which has tiny buttons but is fine for me. I am, however, hoping that phones don't get any smaller otherwise I'll lose mine! I have seen some blokes with big hands have problems with smaller phones though. I can only assume that manufacturers will continue to design models with larger keypads for this group of people though.

Kirsty

Excuse me! Do you think you might be considerate enough to get back off topic please!! :) :) :)

bruceg

What a diabolical liberty! The nerve of the girl interrupting our off topic gibberish with a serious point!!!

:D

Dave Payn

bruceg said:
What a diabolical liberty! The nerve of the girl interrupting our off topic gibberish with a serious point!!!

:D

I dunno.... you would have thought the mods would have sussed Kirsty out as a potential troublemaker.... can't get the staff....

;-)

bruceg

I know. I've seen up to three mods monitoring this forum and none of them have intervened. I fear that I shall be forced to put pen to paper, attach with selotape and hurl a coke can in the direction of the music man himself. Disgraceful really...

Dave Payn

bruceg said:
I know. I've seen up to three mods monitoring this forum and none of them have intervened. I fear that I shall be forced to put pen to paper, attach with selotape and hurl a coke can in the direction of the music man himself. Disgraceful really...

It'll have to be that unless your length of string is sufficient to relay messages from Scotland to Wales. (Do you remember if it cost more to text/call with coke tins to other countries in the UK?)

bruceg

I have one of the early cross-brand deals that means I can text drinkers of coke, pepsi, cheapo stuff and even fanta!!! So cost is no object in this case ;)

Dave Payn

bruceg said:
I have one of the early cross-brand deals that means I can text drinkers of coke, pepsi, cheapo stuff and even fanta!!! So cost is no object in this case ;)

I tried to get a deal with mine to text Vimto drinkers, but they objected on the grounds it would bad publicity advertising calls/texts to a drink that's an anagram of 'vomit'. ;-)

Dave Payn

p.s How long can we keep this going for? I'm running out of ideas! (most audible Internet based 'Hooray' just emanated from my PC. Why?? ;-) ;-) )

bruceg

I'm thinking that we might need to PM Peter or Kepps and complain about the blatant abuse of this topic by two folk who really must have something better to do :D

By the way, welcome in advance to Scotland ;)

You may or may not have noticed that two posts have been deleted!
As the topic was Phobile Moans it is rather difficult to go "off-topic", but let's keep it in perspective
:wink:

PM. Mod