Phobile moans

Dave Payn

Active Member
Now I should kick off by stating that I'm not anti mobile phones, nor is this a rant against the noises they make. I'm just puzzled. As I was stuck on a train waiting for last Wednesday's snow to do its worst to the points and signals on the railways (which it did in no time at all), I noticed a couple of curious things regarding the newer models of phone being displayed, in this case, a Sony Ericsson and a Nokia.

Whilst accepting that the advances in technology mean that things end up eventually more compact than their predecessors, I couldn't help thinking that the buttons on these particular phones in question we're ridiculously small and so close together, and I wondered how their owners could possibly NOT make regular errors in dialling/texting, or am I just being an old fashioned old fogey (again....)?
 

Rambo Chick

Member
there are some pretty titchy phones out there but of course they have all been ergonomically tested and so are marketable.
 

jameshowell

Active Member
I know what you mean, Though I think the mobile phones you are on about are the "cool" gimmicky phones aimed at youngsters, whose hands are small enough not to have trouble operating them with small buttons!
 

akwarose

Active Member
i have the panasonic G50, which is a whole big 9 cm tall (incl arial)
i dont find it hard to use, altho i have had a lot of ppl askin me whether its real. its the smallest one on the market that aint a flip fone. Its really cute........ :D:D:D
 

Okiedokie of Oz

Active Member
I havea dinky l'il LG model DM510. It's a whopping big 8cm. But once you get used to it, you can train yourself to adjust to the new keys, just like you can learn to touchtype on a keyboard. Not that I touchtype. I cheat and use 2 fingers.....sometimes 3 and a thumb.

I hate some phones that have really stiff buttons. they're a bugger (OK, make that Burger then!) to use!!!

What's wrong with that word?!?!?! It's part of my national culture! We have national ad campaigns using that word!! oh well................[/b]
 

Maestro

Active Member
Dave Payn said:
Now I should kick off by stating that I'm not anti mobile phones, nor is this a rant against the noises they make. I'm just puzzled. As I was stuck on a train waiting for last Wednesday's snow to do its worst to the points and signals on the railways (which it did in no time at all), I noticed a couple of curious things regarding the newer models of phone being displayed, in this case, a Sony Ericsson and a Nokia.

Whilst accepting that the advances in technology mean that things end up eventually more compact than their predecessors, I couldn't help thinking that the buttons on these particular phones in question we're ridiculously small and so close together, and I wondered how their owners could possibly NOT make regular errors in dialling/texting, or am I just being an old fashioned old fogey (again....)?



Surely not Dave, but is there anyone out there who preferred using the 2 empty coke cans and 200 yards of string that preceded these phobile moans?? :oops:
 

PeterBale

Moderator
Staff member
Maestro said:
Surely not Dave, but is there anyone out there who preferred using the 2 empty coke cans and 200 yards of string that preceded these phobile moans?? :oops:
I always liked those little flags, but the problem is finding a suitable hilltop to stand on in the middle of town :oops: :wink: :lol:
 

jameshowell

Active Member
Mobile phones are great, and I couldn't live without mine, but sometimes don't you wish they didn't exist and you were unavailable?

That extra job from the boss, your mother in law wanting a lift, forgetting to turn it off for the areas...
 

amgray

Member
Okiedokie of Oz said:
What's wrong with that word?!?!?! It's part of my national culture! We have national ad campaigns using that word!! oh well................[/b]
My In-Laws bought me a T-Shirt back from NZ with that word on!! Same ad campaigns. It gets some strange looks here in Norfolk though :shock: Then again it could be the huge Beer Belly it contains.

BTW, those ads have been featured on UK telly, one of those "lets-look-patronisingly-at-the-adverts-in-the-rest-of-the-world" programmes.
 

Jo Elson

Member
I find it funny how people know the height of their phones, i haven't got a clue how tall mine is. Have you actually measured them?
 

PeterBale

Moderator
Staff member
Jo Elson said:
I find it funny how people know the height of their phones, i haven't got a clue how tall mine is. Have you actually measured them?
Mine must be quite tall 'cos it reaches my ear :oops: :wink: :lol:
 

lynchie

Active Member
hmm had this problem writing my number into someone's phone yesterday... it was all ridiculously small. I like my big chunky phone, much better!
 

Okiedokie of Oz

Active Member
there was a phone in thing on the local radio the other dya about people who sms-ed to thr wrong nu,mbers and stuff....one girl tried to whinge to her best firend about her bf, but sent it to the bf by mistake and so forth....

Obviously some ppl do still have trubble!
 

bruceg

Active Member
I have a Sony Ericsson T610 which is fairly compact but big enough to accommodate my two thumb texting technique. Thing that bugs me is when I know what I want to say but forget to ensure that the predictive text chose the right word. My girlfriend's pretty good at replacing dodgy words with the correct ones now though - she's received a few hundred texts over the past few months to practice with :)
 

Dave Payn

Active Member
Maestro said:
[


Surely not Dave, but is there anyone out there who preferred using the 2 empty coke cans and 200 yards of string that preceded these phobile moans?? :oops:

Yes, but texting was a bit of a swine. All you could do was write your message (now spelt 'msg') on a bit of paper, Sellotape it to the coke tin and try and chuck it 200 yards to your intended recipient. If he or she didn't have any paper, pen or Sellotape, they'd have to drop their coke tin, run to the nearest newsagents and get the necessary tools, run back, write THEIR message, stick it on the coke tin and lob it back to the original messenger. It was tough but it taught you some values, like.


;-)
 

bruceg

Active Member
Dave Payn said:
Yes, but texting was a bit of a swine. All you could do was write your message (now spelt 'msg') on a bit of paper, Sellotape it to the coke tin and try and chuck it 200 yards to your intended recipient. If he or she didn't have any paper, pen or Sellotape, they'd have to drop their coke tin, run to the nearest newsagents and get the necessary tools, run back, write THEIR message, stick it on the coke tin and lob it back to the original messenger. It was tough but it taught you some values, like.


;-)

Since text messages are carried as signalling (or as proper packet data if the operators ever get their GPRS setup sorted out) what you need is a second piece of string tied in a loop between the coke cans. You then attach the message (msg) to the looped string and pull it through until the message is at the other coke can. A reply can be sent in similar fashion or scribbled on the back of the received message (include original text option).

What am I typing here??? Time for a cuppa...
 

Dave Payn

Active Member
[quote="bruceg
Since text messages are carried as signalling (or as proper packet data if the operators ever get their GPRS setup sorted out) what you need is a second piece of string tied in a loop between the coke cans. You then attach the message (msg) to the looped string and pull it through until the message is at the other coke can. A reply can be sent in similar fashion or scribbled on the back of the received message (include original text option).

What am I typing here??? Time for a cuppa...[/quote]

Ah yes Bruce, but those models were considerably more expensive and didn't really take off as a concept as the string would often fray through repeated pulling.

By the way, with all these fantastic gizmos that can play games, record your own ringtones (break wind, now that would REALLY be a 'ring' tone!), download music, take pictures, send pictures etc. etc. does anyone still use their mobile to make phone calls? ;-)
 
Top