Philip Sparke

Horace

Love Variations on an Enigma. Sheer class! Partita is always worth a mention too! Agree with the comments about Tallis Variations, but not a huge fan of the horn part at the end, screeching out top B's :evil:

Seedhouse

Always liked Harmony Music!!!!! First time I heard it I was like :shock: "Is what i'm hearing possible?" (which the answer was yes, lol :lol: ) It is a really well crafted piece of music, that shows the true extent of Sparke's ability.
Also the first time I played Year of the Dragon, that was amazing too! As well as scary! (3rd mvt)

Ste69

Andy_Euph said:
I love tryptich especially the middle movement... simplicity is best.

Is that the one called "fantasy on one note" or something like that :?:

Excellent piece full stop though :tup

Scotty

1. year of the dragon
2. harmony music
3. Tallis variations

I would like to hear from the man himself. Out of all the pieces he has written which one he likes the most??

AJSOP

Test Pieces
1. Year of the dragon
2. Tallis Variations
3. Moon and Mexico

Concert Piece
1. Hymn of the Highlands

nickjones

Concerto Grosso ( listen to the Dyke 1989 cd Concerto )
Endevour
Land of the long white cloud
Concert Prelude
Year of the Dragon
Concertino for Tuba and Brass Band
Fantasy for Euphonium
Harmony Music
Variations on an Enigma
Partitia
Euphonium concerto
Cornet Concerto
Mountain Song
Diversions on a swiss theme tune ( World Premier recording on the Polyphonic CD " Family Portraits " Point of Ayr Colliery Band 1999 Mike Fowles
All classics....All brilliant tests of band musicianship

Straightmute

My personal favourites are 'Cambridge Variations', the 'Trumpet Concerto' and 'Tallis Varitions', which seem particularly adventurous and innovative, in different ways.

But I also have soft spots for 'Land of the Long White Cloud' and 'Year of the Dragon', both of which hold many, many fond memories.

Has anyone worked out the Enigma in 'Variation on an Enigma'? I've got a theory...

D

nickjones

Straightmute said:
My personal favourites are 'Cambridge Variations', the 'Trumpet Concerto' and 'Tallis Varitions', which seem particularly adventurous and innovative, in different ways.

But I also have soft spots for 'Land of the Long White Cloud' and 'Year of the Dragon', both of which hold many, many fond memories.

Has anyone worked out the Enigma in 'Variation on an Enigma'? I've got a theory...

D

Contest Music...W.Heaton

Dan

It has to be Year of the Dragon for me. It is not only my favourite Sparke piece but also my favourite ever test piece.

One that hasn't been mentioned yet (I think!) is A London Overture which is absolutely fantastic.

I don't think there's ever been a bad one, at whatever level, but my three top ones would be:

Cambridge Variations
Moon & Mexico
Tallis

I shall always remember Leyland's performance of Cambridge Variations at the Masters. They were the only band that got that 'shimmer' of sound at the opening on the day. Sheer magic!

katej

we played Triptych yesterday at Buxton 4th section and came 3rd with it. I really like it and the middle movement Fantasy is really good.
Kate

neiltwist

katej said:
we played Triptych yesterday at Buxton 4th section and came 3rd with it. I really like it and the middle movement Fantasy is really good.
Kate

it really is a good second movement, and it is based on one note!

Lol. I might say music of the spheres now, but coming close are still land of the long white cloud and year of the dragon.

welshmike

I always thought the Enigma was either Contest Music's nightmare cornet part (eeh aah eeh ahh ohh) or Morning Cloud! Perhaps we will never know!!