Pershore Midsummer Brass

Lizziejayne

Hello all

Just wondering if anybody else attended Pershore Midsummer Brass on Saturday 3rd July and what bands they managed to hear. I arrived in the afternoon in time to hear Stouport on Severn play in the marque behind the Angel Inn followed by City of Coventry. However, my favourite band of the afternoon has to be The Staffordshire Band who put on a stunning performance in the marque - my favourite piece being 'Amazing Grace' with some fantastic playing and superb dynamic range. I was so impressed that I went up to the Abbey to hear them there and was not disappointed - my favourite being 'Crimond'. It had been sometime since I had heard this band play and they were brilliant.

What other bands did members manage to hear and what did you think? :lol:

drummerboy

Glad you enjoyed it! :D
I heard Stourport at the Abbey, then heard all the bands in the tent until we played. I'm so glad it didn't rain, especially when I helped wheel the xylophone across to the Abbey. Once again, a great day. :D

I was there most of the day, upto Jags playing in the tent in the evening, although spent most of my time not actually listening, but chatting to old friends, drinking etc ;)

The noteable performances for me were Jags, Staffs and Flowers, all very entertaining.

Never actually made it up to the abbey though......:(

pershore

unfortunatly i wasnt able to get to pershore this year due to me flying back in from my holidays.
any chance of some one who was there telling programs ie of staffs flowers and any other good performances

Bones

Re: pershore

man of many talents said:
unfortunatly i wasnt able to get to pershore this year due to me flying back in from my holidays.
any chance of some one who was there telling programs ie of staffs flowers and any other good performances

Staffs played the following.

Angel Inn Program

British Legion March
Varied Mood - Euph Solo
Amazing Grace
Call of the Cossacks

Abbey Program

Dance before the Lord
I know thou are Mine
Jubilence - Cornet Solo
Crimond
Shine as the Light

tewkeshorn

Account Suspended
I was at Pershore playing with Tewkesbury, did a nice rendition of 'He Ain't Heavy' if i do say so :)

It was nice to meet a few tmp-ers there, (backrowbloke were you going to email or PM me or something? :wink: )

Just about escaped the weather with 1 or 2 showers, but again a fantastic day although didn't play in the abbey this year, one year I'm going to have to have a crack at the record for number of performances on the trot (I think it currently stands at 11 or 12 40 minute sets in one go!).

Flowers programme:

Angel Inn:
Los Endos into
Battle of the Planets, arr. Harper
A Tameside Overture, Sparke
Cornet solo: Zelda, Percy Code, soloist Kevin Robbins
Air from the Suite in D, Bach, arr Snell
Ruby Tuesday, arr Catherall
Hawaii 5-0, arr Harper

Abbey:
March: The President, W. German
Poinciana, arr. Ray Farr
Tone Poem: Life Divine, Cyril Jenkins
Nocturne from A Moorside Suite, Holst
March from The Pines of Rome, arr. Snell

JJ

Called into Pershore on our way home, but only had time to hear one band - Flowers in the
Abbey, mid afternoon.

I have to be honest & say that we were a bit disappointed.

We couldn't really hear much detail (although in fairness we were right at the back of the
Abbey - which was packed by the way!), but more disappointing was the amount of mistakes
& parts actually missing in both the Moorside Suite movement and Life Divine - brave
programming though, particularly when you add Pines of Rome to finish.

Was rumoured that their number of deps ran into double figures & if so, that would probably explain the problems - anyone from Flowers confirm this?

By the way, I'm not trying to wind anyone up from Flowers, I think they're a good band, but we were just a bit disappointed - probably something to do with me being a tight old Welsh git & wanting nothing short of perfection for me 16 quid!

Anyway, as I say, we were on our way after that so I can't tell you anything else apart from some feedback from a buddy of mine I saw there. He told me the next day, he was also very impressed with Staffordshire, confirming what Lizziejane said earlier. His highlights were the cornet soloist - who he described as excellent, the sound of the band & generally the musical shape of the playing. High praise indeed from another old miser.

So well done to Staffordshire & all the bands who contributed to the days merry music making. :)

drummerboy

tewkeshorn said:
I was at Pershore playing with Tewkesbury, did a nice rendition of 'He Ain't Heavy' if i do say so :)

Didn't you (and your band of course!) follow us in the tent John?

tewkeshorn

Account Suspended
Yep thats right, Tewkesbury (3rd section going down to 4th) were put in the middle of Staffordshire and Sovereign Brass, what a challenge!!

Heard the end of the Staffordshire set and stayed for the others after us and I think we did alright. Gotta feel though for the principal of Jaguar I think it was who had a bad day at the office playing Spanish Eyes (we all get them!) but overall the standard of playing was high across the board.

Can't wait for next year, hopefully we'll be back in the Abbey again after missing out this year.