Performing Rights


I am absolutely certain that there are experts in the room that can answer this for me. When we book certain venues to hold concerts, they invoice us for Performing Rights charges. It is my understanding that this charge is covered off by membership of one of the banding bodies/associations, but I cannot find this conclusively and I am now wondering if this is an assumption that has been handed down without a firm basis in fact.

Can anyone give me a definitive view on when PRS charges apply?


Staff member
Crikey lads, the poor man is offline for 3 seconds, and ye're all shouting for him..
He's probably gone to the loo or something.



Active Member

Try Straightmute instead if Rog ain't around....mind you where's he gone come to think of it???!

Can't help you meself.... unless it means certain buildings have a PRS licence and others don't?

Rach x


tMP Founder
Staff member
Don't panic guys 'n gals.... Roger was abducted by aliens earlier this evening and is currently undergoing serious experimentation.... apparantly the aliens are looking desperately to see if he has a life outside of :)

A full report is being prepared for Salli upon his hopeful return.....

he he

Seriously... our Mr T is in rehearsal this evening as Wem have their Spring concert tomorrow evening... Neal (Keppler), Rach (Sparkly) and myself are making rare appearances ... :) He'll be back online later and I'm sure he will get you the info you need.... :wink:

Roger Thorne

Active Member
Performing Rights Society:

The owner of the copyright in a work may either exercise the rights in that work himself or transfer them to some one else, such as a publisher or collecting society to exploit them on his behalf.

The Copyright, Designs and Patents Act (CDPA) 1988 also enables the copyright owner to limit the scope of that assignment to one or more, but not necessarily all, of the restricted acts that collectively form the bundle of rights known as copyright.

Composers assign the rights in their compositions to PRS in order that PRS can act effectively on their behalf. The composer is required to enter into this assignment upon election to membership. This means that PRS is then the owner of these rights. The following rights are assigned upon membership:

To perform the work in public
To broadcast the work
To include the work in a cable programme service
Film-synchronisation (copying on to the sound track of a specific film a musical work specially written by the Member for that purpose)
The CDPA allows a copyright owner to assign not only the copyright he has in his current works but also the rights that will arise in any future works which he creates. PRS stipulates in its Articles that the assignment given by the member must include these future rights - this means that the copyright owner does not have to enter into a new assignment every time he creates a new work.

Collectively the assignments that PRS takes from its members, together with the licences from its affiliated societies around the world, form the vast repertoire of copyright works which the Society is able to administer in the UK on behalf of its members and affiliates. As owner of the performing rights in its members' works and licensee of the rights otherwise vested in its affiliates, the Society is able to exploit its repertoire by granting licences for the public performance, broadcast, inclusion in a cable programme and film-synchronisation of the works. PRS grants such licences in return for royalties, which after deducting its administration costs, it then allocates and distributes to its members and affiliates in accordance with their respective interests in the works performed.

Does that answer the question.



Supporting Member
Sorry guys but I must be really tired cose that looked like it was written in a foregn language :hammer

Roger Thorne

Active Member
OK then try this:

Basically if a concert hall or venue is a member of the PRS they have to pay either a per concert or annual fee. The charge they make to you is to offset their own costs which are necessary to provide the facilities.

Personally I have never come across this charge. My band have had to submit PRS forms stating the pieces they have played at a venue but have never been charged.




As always many thanks for the information. There is only one venue that I have come across where this charge applies and I thought it strange, but based on your comments it does make sense.


Product tMP members are discussing