People in instrument cases

tubadude

I thought it would be fun to post our stories about band members being locked inside instrument cases. It's one of the rites of passage for band members.

The first time I saw it happen was in junior high. We were goofing off in the band room (the director was out) and it was decided that the bass drummer should be packed in the bass drum case. He wasn't too keen on the idea, so three guys grabbed him and started packing him away. Just as they got the cover on and started to strap it, the director came back in. That was the end of it, unfortunately.

I do know that sometimes bands will carry a small player out in a tuba case and let them out to play a solo, but I've never actually seen it.

This is something that Chichester Band did a few years back. I've pasted a note below which was left on our band site by the small sop player involved.

a mellon said:
Idly surfing the Internet, I happened across this site. It brought back many memories. I used to play Soprano Cornet in the band about 13 years ago (at the tender age of 13!!!!!). I was ever so little and I remember one Entertainments Contest when I was bought on in a tuba case...unpacked....then had to play some solo or other! Gosh I was exploited! Nice to see the band's going from strength to strength!!!

blondie

If any one has ever met Mr BagPuss then you would realise that he's a big lad. A few years after succeessfully obtaining our lottery grant, Mr Puss decided that it was high time we got some cases made for our vibraphone and xylophone. We had to get these hard cases specially made for them, and took receipt of them about 8 weeks later :evil: .

So one night Puss, Chief Lardy Basso de Blower and myself were in the bandroom and one of us bet that you couldn't get any thing else or a person in the cases. So Mr Puss then demonstrated to our delight that indeed you can get a person in a vibe case.!!!!! :D :shock:

Nat

when my mam was in greggs, there was a couple(you know who you are) who locked me in a bass case i was only a kid and didnt know what was going on!

HBB

Not strictly and instrument case ...

... but on a tour in Switzerland we did mangage to lock our principle cornet, then our conductor in a kitchen cupboard at our hotel ... and nicked the morning loaf of bread!

JessopSmythe

I've never been in an instrument case but I did once get so drunk on tour that I slept in my suit case. It was easier than trying to get up to the top bunk :?

blondie

Mr M.H Jessop-Smythe, the worst thing is though I have witnessed you throwing your clothes out of that suitcase so you could get in it!!!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol: :lol:

iancwilx

PLAYERS IN CASES

I used to have a Sousaphone case that was a perfect fit for the Hunchback of Notredam !!

Stewart

Straightmute said:
I'm six foot two and play the piccolo trumpet. This thread is clearly not for me.

D

That sounds like a challenge to me... Maybe there should be a prize for the first person to provide evidence that they've managed to fit Mr Mute in an instrument case before the end of summer? :wink:

stopher

Aaaaah, those were the days!!!!

County band course about 1995 where on the 1st night, the Drummer, got locked in a bass case, the 2nd night, carted off in a sleeping bag and smacked into everything and then the last night was put in a wardrobe with this then put face down and everyone playing card on top for an hour!

Actually, this was all done by the band bass section!!!!

Funnily enough, he never really realized we didn't like him!

Edited: Name removed (RT)

dyl

Re: Aaaaah, those were the days!!!!

stopher said:

:lol: What a blast from the past! ha-ha! Popular wasn't he?!!!!

When he was with our youth band years ago, he was convinced the reason why we dangled him over the wall - 10ft above the river just outside the bandroom - was 'cos we liked him!!!!!

He must have realised the real reason eventually though, he left us soon after that!

Straightmute

dave jake said:
I reckon Dave would easily fit into aBb bass gigbag he seems very bendy, :shock:

I prefer 'flexible'.

Methinks this is a ploy to prevent me from winning the next quiz.

I'm becoming concerned about some of you. Heather once threatened to tie me to a desk...

D

not put in an instrument case but was man handled into a wheelie bin by the lads in the band at school (many years ago now)and left out in the corridor, ever tried getting out of one of those things :oops:

CRat63

We once put one of our friends in a BBb Bass case about 25 minutes before band, went out, locked the door-knowing that the bass player in question was always first to band. Without fail, he walked in, turned the lights on, proceeded to open his case and nearly had a full on heart attack when this little lass popped out. Brilliant.

Craig

tubadude

Somewhere on the net, there is a video where some guy locked his little brother inside a tuba case, and it's rocking around while the boy is yelling about wanting out. The funny part is that in the background you can hear their mom yelling at them. I'll try to find the link and post it.

nickjones

stopher said:
County band course about 1995 where on the 1st night, the Drummer, got locked in a bass case, the 2nd night, carted off in a sleeping bag and smacked into everything and then the last night was put in a wardrobe with this then put face down and everyone playing card on top for an hour!

Actually, this was all done by the band bass section!!!!

I can't confirm or deny that myself or Gavin Saynor were involved in the afore mentioned incident...I can spill the beans and sing like a canary for Money tho...damn percussionists grrrrrrr