Paypal Scam

JessopSmythe

Look out for an email that looks like this!

paypalscam.gif

This does not come from PayPal! It contains no Paypal Logos and does not link to a secure paypal site. Also, any genuine correspondence from paypal will adress you by your registered name, not "Dear User" or anything like that. The added tip off for me was that my actual paypal account is registered to a different e-mail addres to the one that this was sent to.

Don't forget, when using credit cards or banking details on the internet, look out for the security features. Does the address at the top start with https and is the padlock icon showing on your browser? Never enter your details if you're not sure about the security. Better yet, if you bank online, try to use Webcard software. I now use a little application that generates a unique card number for each transaction and allows you to specify the payment limit. This means that a supplier will never know your true credit card number and can only take the amount that you have pre=authorised.

If anyone does receive a suspicious paypal email, forward it to spoof@paypal.com

You can never be too careful!

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
This is great advice folks. I received the same e-mail a few weeks ago and reported it to payPal who I must admit were very, very helpful. I have even received a follow up e-mail informing me of what they are doing about it. Cudos to them.

As I know many of you intend to setle your Children in Need sponsorship donations to tMP by PayPal on the tMP e-Shop - I'm making this a 'sticky' post.

PayPal IS safe... as JS says, just make sure you see https in your address bar whenever you have to enter your PayPal account details...

super_sop

Supporting Member
I had an email from paypal the otherday saying not to take any notice of these type of emails. as has been previously statedall corespondance will have your name at the top.

James McFadyen

Due to the large amount of fake PayPal emails - I no longer open any marketing emails from PayPal just in case, which is a real pitty.

JessopSmythe

James McFadyen said:
Due to the large amount of fake PayPal emails - I no longer open any marketing emails from PayPal just in case, which is a real pitty.

That's a bit OTT. As tMM says Paypal itself is 100% safe (or as close to 100% as the internet allows). Just follow all the safety precautions which apply to any kind of secure transaction

lynchie

I got that one a while back. I thought it was particularly suspicious that it said they needed your ATM pin!

yorkie19

johnmartin said:
Sorry about being silly but I just read the title and wondered what the Pope was up to.

That could start a very long and heated theological debate!

Sam

Steve

Good luck to anyone wanting to get money off me, it aint gonna happen unless they can convince the bank to extend all my limits before they rob me stupid. Sounds like too much hassle on their part.

Fishsta

HBB

You could have just used the orignal button:
icon_edit.gif

Instead of going all upmarket with an arrow :p :p :p

Di

Activate Your Account.

Dear Diane Reynolds,

I know I sound a bit like a worry wort (sp) and may be being thick, but with all these warnings, I would just like to check this e-mail just received is genuine before I click on the link. :oops:

Congratulations. You've just created a PayPal account.

But you've not finished yet.

You must click the link below and enter your password on the following page to confirm your email address.

Click here to activate your account