Paddy's Yorkshire Area - 2012

critic

Excellent day. Dissappointed that Grimethorpe did not qualify as I thought they played very well. Frank Renton gave a long explanation about why some bands would not do as well as they thought if they strayed from the directions on the score .... and then gave Brighouse 2nd place after Prof King completely changed the tempi especially on the slow movements which he completely milked. Rothwell were excellent, well deserved.
i agree renton completly contrdicted what he said from the stage.

Stracathro

Excellent day. Dissappointed that Grimethorpe did not qualify as I thought they played very well. Frank Renton gave a long explanation about why some bands would not do as well as they thought if they strayed from the directions on the score .... and then gave Brighouse 2nd place after Prof King completely changed the tempi especially on the slow movements which he completely milked. Rothwell were excellent, well deserved.

It did sound an awful lot like Frank was talking to Dr King with his post match remarks! Brighouse were excellent (a few clips away from being stunning) but it certainly wasn't what was on the score in places. Can't argue with the top two in either order depending on the adjudicators' preferences. A couple of guys around me had Grimethorpe higher but the top six were certainly right for me.

Special mention to Hammonds for a great effort. I also thought Hebden Bridage were extremely unlucky to finish 12th and go down. I had three bands down as being below them on the day.

Roll on TAH!

Paddy, what odds Meltham and Meltham and Meltham and Meltham Mills draw no 1 again for about the 7th time in the last 9 years?

Glad to see 4br have completely written Hebden off. Suits me. If no-one expects us to do owt, then we can only surprise people by finishing anywhere.

Although my mates at City of Bradford won't be happy about getting the old kiss-o'-death.....

Oops - nr 1 for us - and - placed 12th - felt better than that to me, but as I spent the rest of the day in the bar probably not best placed to criticise the results - well done Dyke - and also well done to my 2 daughters in Elland Silver, that was a class above in the third section (IMO)

YRBBC

A huge "Thank you" to all the bands, their supporters and audience members from far and wide who came to St. George's over the weekend. Congratulations to the bands going forward to represent Yorkshire at the finals and to those not fortunate enough to be going to Cheltenham or London a sincere thank you for your efforts and hard work - sorry you won't get there this year but keep up the good work, it may be your turn next year.

Great to see so many youngsters coming on stage and giving their all - let's hope this bodes well for the future. :clap:

Well done everybody - many, many thanks - look forward to seeing you all again on 2nd/3rd March 2013.

Peggy T.
Reg.Sec.

Last edited:
Thank you Peggy for all your hard work organising the yorkshire area so brilliantly yet again. Having tasted the tiniest dose of trying to organise something like this on a much much smaller scale, I can imagine just how hard your job must be, and just how much of an amazing job you do.

Thank you Peggy for all your hard work organising the yorkshire area so brilliantly yet again. Having tasted the tiniest dose of trying to organise something like this on a much much smaller scale, I can imagine just how hard your job must be, and just how much of an amazing job you do.

and so say all of us!
Thank you :clap:

Thirteen Ball

Special mention to Hammonds for a great effort. I also thought Hebden Bridage were extremely unlucky to finish 12th and go down. I had three bands down as being below them on the day.

Roll on TAH!

Thanks for that Strathcaro. I've never believed that the draw really has much to do with the final placings, but seeing that the band who followed us on produced a very creditable performance and wound up inexplicably low, maybe it did have some bearing.

In all honesty, as I said before we blew a note, the placing is largely immaterial to us. Having listened to the recording a few times now, my memory served me fairly well, and the band played a clean and competent performance - ok not without the odd moment of tuning - but right on the tempo markings, (see 4br) and we were pleased with the band performance and proud of our soloists.

However despite this, messers Renton and Cosh decided we didn't do enough to justify our position in the top flight, and when it comes down to it that's all there is to say. The only other bands I heard were Dyke and Skelmanthorpe, and though I'll freely admit we were behind Skelmanthorpe, I do think 6 places behind them is a bit harsh - but then that's contesting and without having heard the other bands I can't really say one way or another. (And congratualtions to both of the bands I did hear on their respective placings. I enjoyed both performances.)

In this situation, the response of the band is everything. I've never been one of the 'We Wuz Robbed' brigade and I don't intend to start now and I'm pretty sure we're of one voice on that. You won't hear us complaining. What you will hear is us doing our utmost to prove - by future performances - that we deserve our place in the top flight and that this result is a blip. Best way to do that is to get right back at it and kick on. We know we're better than that result suggests - so it's up to us to prove it.

winterman

Well said that man! An excellent job as always Peggy! :clap:

critic

A huge "Thank you" to all the bands, their supporters and audience members from far and wide who came to St. George's over the weekend. Congratulations to the bands going forward to represent Yorkshire at the finals and to those not fortunate enough to be going to Cheltenham or London a sincere thank you for your efforts and hard work - sorry you won't get there this year but keep up the good work, it may be your turn next year.

Great to see so many youngsters coming on stage and giving their all - let's hope this bodes well for the future. :clap:

Well done everybody - many, many thanks - look forward to seeing you all again on 2nd/3rd March 2013.

Peggy T.
Reg.Sec.
As usuall the atmosphere in the championship section was ecxellent where as the week before at blackpool the championship lacked atmosphere. Well done to all the bandsthat competed

Laserbeam bass

Just like to say that it was completely worth the hotel and train tickets to get to listen to some top bands, in all the sections on Sunday. I may not get there next year, but would highly recomment a trip to Bradford next March.

I would also like to congratulate YRBCC on their smooth running of the contest, and the swift announcement of the results, and if Peggy and the team could do some of the other regionals as well, that would be great :clap: Well, one in particular ;)

Thanks for that Strathcaro. I've never believed that the draw really has much to do with the final placings, but seeing that the band who followed us on produced a very creditable performance and wound up inexplicably low, maybe it did have some bearing.

In all honesty, as I said before we blew a note, the placing is largely immaterial to us. Having listened to the recording a few times now, my memory served me fairly well, and the band played a clean and competent performance - ok not without the odd moment of tuning - but right on the tempo markings, (see 4br) and we were pleased with the band performance and proud of our soloists.

However despite this, messers Renton and Cosh decided we didn't do enough to justify our position in the top flight, and when it comes down to it that's all there is to say. The only other bands I heard were Dyke and Skelmanthorpe, and though I'll freely admit we were behind Skelmanthorpe, I do think 6 places behind them is a bit harsh - but then that's contesting and without having heard the other bands I can't really say one way or another. (And congratualtions to both of the bands I did hear on their respective placings. I enjoyed both performances.)

In this situation, the response of the band is everything. I've never been one of the 'We Wuz Robbed' brigade and I don't intend to start now and I'm pretty sure we're of one voice on that. You won't hear us complaining. What you will hear is us doing our utmost to prove - by future performances - that we deserve our place in the top flight and that this result is a blip. Best way to do that is to get right back at it and kick on. We know we're better than that result suggests - so it's up to us to prove it.

As a member of that band that followed you on, I have to agree. I heard several performances that were not as good as yours (one in particular that was dreadful). I found the results, top two apart, bemusing. Grimey were excellent. Some very subjective judging!
Unlike you, I feel very disheartened and am considering jacking it in. We need real musicians judging, in the open, taking account of musical points if we are to stop the decline in numbers.

Having said all that, the organisation was indeed excellent as ever. Well done to all concerned. :clap:

Last edited:

Cornishwomble

I found the results, top two apart, bemusing. Grimey were excellent. Some very subjective judging!
Unlike you, I feel very disheartened and am considering jacking it in. We need real musicians judging, in the open, taking account of musical points if we are to stop the decline in numbers.

SO our 3rd was bemusing and makes you want to jack it all in, wow, thank-you. and there's me thinking that we played well after all the hard work we put in

maybe you should put yourself forward to adjudicate after all you seem to think you had a better handle on it than the adjudicators, I assume your a "real" musician

Number1euph

Hebden Bridge drawn 1. Hepworth were drawn 2nd, so it wasn't Rothwell who were the following band. So your result CornishWomble isn't bemusing. Check some facts 1st.

Thanks

Cornishwomble

check my facts? eh, the comment was "i found the results, top two apart, bemusing" we came 3rd, there you go facts checked

He said results not the placings, clear?

Bass Trumpet

Paul Cosh and Frank Renton not real musicians? Ok I'd love to know your definition of a real musician. No, don't tell me; a real musician is one that agrees with you ;)

Please feel free to jack it in.

Paul Cosh and Frank Renton not real musicians? Ok I'd love to know your definition of a real musician. No, don't tell me; a real musician is one that agrees with you ;)

Please feel free to jack it in.

+1

I suggest Erroll Brown of "Everyone's a winner" fame, with the band Hot Chocolate as adjudicator for all future brass band contests.

It's the way forward. You all know it is. No more band robbery.

Forget anyone who's played with the LSO or Philharmonia or other such tin-pot musical outfits - no real musicians there!!.

Accidental

Supporting Member
Paul Cosh .... yes!
Frank Renton ... hmm!
If someone who has been a pro trumpeter, orchestral conductor, British Open and Nationals winning MD and an adjudicator for over 20 years doesn't qualify as a "real musician" or an acceptable judge, then we may as well all jack it in now and take up macrame instead. Sheesh!

Cornishwomble

If someone who has been a pro trumpeter, orchestral conductor, British Open and Nationals winning MD and an adjudicator for over 20 years doesn't qualify as a "real musician" or an acceptable judge, then we may as well all jack it in now and take up macrame instead. Sheesh!

methinks he's an anonymous troll who wouldnt have the guts to say it in front of real live people anyway, bless

Product tMP members are discussing