Paddy's Yorkshire Area - 2012

tubafran

Agreed - i remember getting on stage having been drawn last, at about 11.45pm with English Heritage a couple of years back......not an ideal time of night to be playing. I sympathise with those bands and players that find themselves towards the end of the draw on Sunday.

Good luck to everyone, should be another enjoyable weekend.

Don't forget that the 3rd Section are also starting at 9.15am to, presumably, give the planned 4.30pm start for the Championship - pity the poor bands expected to play so early in the morning.

Good luck to everyone playing tomorrow - will be geeking it out Saturday and Sunday - comments on Twitter @Francishargate

Thirteen Ball

Short of splitting the contest over 2 venues - which is surely not the point - I don't really see an answer..... But if there has to be a late finish or an early start, it makes sense for it to be the saturday, surely?

bassmittens

Yes it would. I always did wonder why the Saturday is the shorter day, I'm sure there is a sensible reason that we are unaware of....possibly a result of the usage of the hall on the Friday night before for other events, or allowing trade stands more time to come in and set up?

JR

Saturdays and Sundays

Yes it would. I always did wonder why the Saturday is the shorter day, I'm sure there is a sensible reason that we are unaware of....possibly a result of the usage of the hall on the Friday night before for other events, or allowing trade stands more time to come in and set up?

I have to say i cannot quite understand why there are 3 sections on the Sunday - if this was reduced to 2, the hall could still be cleared for a top section restart using separate tickets and it could start at around 2.30 - 3pm.

i wonder if the length of the piece isnt always taken into account?

i know some bands actually stay in the bandroom to hear the draw before setting off, but this is not practical for all bands - i would like a pre draw, in fact I would like a pre draw at all major contests

Incidentally the top section wasnt always held on the Sunday - that's a comparitively recent development in the history of the Yorks Area

john R

Incidentally

Laserbeam bass

OK so as a spectator, I want Brig, Dyke, Grimey, M&M&M&MM and Hebden Bridge to draw early. Then I can get in the bar, catch up with people, and not worry about missing any band that I want to see.

This is no way a reflection on who I think will be in the frame at the end of the day, and if any other band shout out I will listen to them as well, but please don't expect me to sit through all of the performances, as I will need to imbibe from time to time.

PS If you see a bloke who looks like Alice Cooper, and is holding a Euphonium, it is not me!

Thirteen Ball

OK so as a spectator, I want Brig, Dyke, Grimey, M&M&M&MM and Hebden Bridge to draw early. Then I can get in the bar, catch up with people, and not worry about missing any band that I want to see.

Early (beer) draw would suit us...... I genuinely don't think the draw affects the placings much.

Last edited:

Laserbeam bass

Early (beer) draw would suit us......

Really, you do surprise me

I genuinely don't think the draw affects the placings much.

Quite right, but it also means that I can get some beer down my neck, having seen the favs and bands that I have some connection with.

Actually just remembered that I know someone who plays for Hammonds as well. They can draw 6 and there will still be a good two hours of drinking before the results :guiness:guiness:guiness:guiness:guiness

tkhbss

I have to say i cannot quite understand why there are 3 sections on the Sunday - if this was reduced to 2, the hall could still be cleared for a top section restart using separate tickets and it could start at around 2.30 - 3pm.

i wonder if the length of the piece isnt always taken into account?

i know some bands actually stay in the bandroom to hear the draw before setting off, but this is not practical for all bands - i would like a pre draw, in fact I would like a pre draw at all major contests

Incidentally the top section wasnt always held on the Sunday - that's a comparitively recent development in the history of the Yorks Area

john R

Great idea. I have seen that Peggy Tomlinson comments on this forum so it would be good to hear from the committee if this is possible?

winterman

Don't forget that the 3rd Section are also starting at 9.15am to, presumably, give the planned 4.30pm start for the Championship - pity the poor bands expected to play so early in the morning.

Good luck to everyone playing tomorrow - will be geeking it out Saturday and Sunday - comments on Twitter @Francishargate

1st Section also only has 10 bands with an estimated piece length of just over 10 minutes.. Should be cleared well in time for a prompt Champ start! ;)

Thirteen Ball

1st Section also only has 10 bands with an estimated piece length of just over 10 minutes.. Should be cleared well in time for a prompt Champ start! ;)

That's still longer than last year's 1st section piece. Carnaval Romain is about eight and a half when taken at tempo....

barrytone

If you do Carnaval Romaine ala Yorkshire Imps tempo, it's about 7 mins 40 secs! Hope they can manage 10 mins! xxxx

Short of splitting the contest over 2 venues - which is surely not the point - I don't really see an answer..... But if there has to be a late finish or an early start, it makes sense for it to be the saturday, surely?

The Midlands Area is at 2 venues (about 10 minutes walk apart) over 2 days and seems to work quite well

Pav

3rd section in the morning is a bit tight though. 11 bands plus results in 3.5 hours - 12.30ish piece I think. Needs pretty quick turnarounds. How much percussion is there in Cross Patonce?

IJK

The Midlands Area is at 2 venues (about 10 minutes walk apart) over 2 days and seems to work quite well

But the Midlands area has twice as many bands like in the northwest and south west where there is 25 + bands in the 4th section where Yorkshire has 12 and in the midlands there is 17 bands in the 3rd and only 11 in yorkshire. So that is why the midlans needs 2 days and 2 venues.

tubafran

3rd section in the morning is a bit tight though. 11 bands plus results in 3.5 hours - 12.30ish piece I think. Needs pretty quick turnarounds. How much percussion is there in Cross Patonce?

12 in 3rd and its 11'45" on the score so would expect to be 12.30pm finish - says 1st Section to start at 12.45 but even if slightly later they have 3.5 hours for less bands (10) and a shorter piece. Me thinks the plan is sound

critic

I think the top section this year is wide open-could be a very interesting day.......

Could be a super contest. With Brighouse qualified the other two places will be well contested. Dyke and Grimethorpe will be favourities but both under pressure to deliver. It could produce some really quality performances from a really tough field. Good luck to all the bands. The Devil is coming!

tkhbss

Could be a super contest. With Brighouse qualified the other two places will be well contested. Dyke and Grimethorpe will be favourities but both under pressure to deliver. It could produce some really quality performances from a really tough field. Good luck to all the bands. The Devil is coming!
Rothwell are also a form band, and Carlton can not be discounted. Will be a very tough contest

towse1972

I am actually quite sad that i cant get there (working). I would really have enjoyed listening this year.

Paddy Flower

Soon there will be no more talking, it's down to business and here's Paddy's (with the help of the league) final call...

League win pay-outChampionship SectionLatestFrom
2.01Brighouse & Rastrick6/5 favEvens11/105/4
2.68Black Dyke7/46/55/46/4
3.47Grimethorpe Colliery100/3011/2
9.70Carlton Main Frickley Colliery11/118/110/111/2
16.39Hepworth20/128/133/1
23.76Rothwell Temperance28/150/166/133/1
95.04Hammonds Saltaire150/1500/1
475.20Marsden Silver Prize200/166/140/150/1
475.20Skelmanthorpe500/1350/1
475.20Wakefield Metropolitan500/1350/1
475.20Meltham & Meltham & Meltham & Meltham Mills1000/1
475.20Hebden Bridge1000/1
475.20Hade Edge (J&E Dickinson)1000/1

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.