Paddy's West of England Area - 2013

Paddy Flower

Respectable results from the top section representatives at London so it's time to look ahead to Torquay next March...

Line-ups checked against...
http://www.webba.org.uk/gradings.htmlhttp://www.regional-contest.org.uk/yorkshire/recentgradings.php
with 4th section being a best guess based on previous years' entries...

Championship Section
Flowers 2/7 F
Camborne Town8/1
Aldbourne 8/1
Bournemouth Concert Brass18/1
Woodfalls22/1
St. Dennis25/1
Mount Charles25/1
Sherborne Town33/1
Lydbrook Silver 50/1
Brunel Brass66/1
Chalford250/1

Paddy Flower

First Section
Lanner & District Silver7/2 JF
St. Austell Town7/2 JF
Portishead Town6/1
Camborne Brass7/1
Filton Concert9/1
Helston Town11/1
Shrewton Silver12/1
Michelmersh Silver16/1
Verwood Concert Brass16/1
Hyde16/1
Lympstone (South-West Telecoms)33/1
Yeovil Town33/1
Poole Borough40/1
Otterbourne Brass50/1

Paddy Flower

Second Section
Pendennis Brass (Falmouth) 100/30 JF
St. Keverne100/30 JF
St. Pinnock15/2
Sidmouth Town8/1
Forest of Dean Brass11/1
Phoenix Brass (Crewkerne)14/1
City Of Bristol16/1
Soundhouse Brass18/1
Bugle Silver18/1
A W Parker (Drybrook) 20/1
Weston-super-Mare Brass22/1
Ocean Brass25/1
Cinderford25/1
Bream Silver 40/1
Swindon Pegasus40/1
Downton50/1
Bath Spa100/1

Paddy Flower

Third Section
Bodmin Town3/1 F
Andover Town6/1
Denmead Brass7/1
Heyl Town15/2
Wotton-under-Edge & District Silver9/1
St. Stythians9/1
Bristol East & Kingswood10/1
Gillingham Imperial Silver 14/1
New Forest Brass18/1
Test Valley Brass18/1
Tewkesbury Town 18/1
Hatherleigh Silver33/1
Pillowell Silver 50/1
Bratton Silver66/1
Launceston Town66/1
Midsomer Norton & Radstock66/1

Paddy Flower

Fourth Section
Weymouth Concert Brass9/2 F
Wilton & District6/1
Corsham6/1
South Molton Town 8/1
Chalford Academy Brass9/1
Spinnaker Brass9/1
Gosport Solent Brass14/1
Shanklin Town Brass (IoW)14/1
Lydney Town18/1
Swindon Brass 18/1
Cheltenham Silver28/1
Totnes33/1
Wincanton Silver40/1
Wight Brass40/1
Tiverton Town50/1
Thornbury Town66/1
Bideford Town66/1
Marshfield66/1
Porthleven Town 66/1
Verwood 'B'100/1
Lostwithiel Town100/1
Okehampton Excelsior100/1
Torbay Brass 200/1

Second Section
Pendennis Brass (Falmouth) 100/30 JF
St. Keverne100/30 JF
St. Pinnock15/2
Sidmouth Town8/1
Forest of Dean Brass11/1
Phoenix Brass (Crewkerne)14/1
City Of Bristol16/1
Soundhouse Brass18/1
Bugle Silver18/1
A W Parker (Drybrook) 20/1
Weston-super-Mare Brass22/1
Ocean Brass25/1
Cinderford25/1
Bream Silver 40/1
Swindon Pegasus40/1
Downton50/1
Bath Spa100/1

Forest of Dean Brass will be in the 1st Section for 2013 after the result of their appeal - see Webba website for details!

Paddy Flower

Forest of Dean Brass will be in the 1st Section for 2013 after the result of their appeal - see Webba website for details!

Thanks dave (as quick off the mark as myself!!)...

First Section
Lanner & District Silver
7/2 JF
St. Austell Town
7/2 JF
Portishead Town
6/1
Camborne Brass
7/1
Filton Concert
9/1
Helston Town
11/1
Shrewton Silver
12/1
Michelmersh Silver
16/1
Verwood Concert Brass
16/1
Hyde
18/1
Lympstone (South-West Telecoms)
33/1
Yeovil Town
33/1
Poole Borough
40/1
Otterbourne Brass
50/1
Forest of Dean Brass
66/1

Second Section
Pendennis Brass (Falmouth)
3/1 JF
St. Keverne
3/1 JF
St. Pinnock
7/1
Sidmouth Town
15/2
Phoenix Brass (Crewkerne)
12/1
City Of Bristol
14/1
Soundhouse Brass
18/1
Bugle Silver
18/1
A W Parker (Drybrook)
18/1
Weston-super-Mare Brass
20/1
Ocean Brass
22/1
Cinderford
25/1
Bream Silver
33/1
Swindon Pegasus
40/1
Downton
50/1
Bath Spa
100/1

BassBlaster

Chalford Academy I will put a few quid on that one, as for Chalford, pressures off then, we can only impress everyone in march 250-1, but at least we have the same band :) as last year, the year before, the year before that etc......

ghost

Looking at second section, I wonder how much reliance has been placed on the results for the bands which entered Exmouth - which is not the best indicator of the group of players who will appear at the next areas...

Plantangenets will sort these bands out though - a great piece with some lovely music in it. Brilliant choice - even if rather a stern test.

tam-tam2

I find it very difficult to understand why a band who came last in the First Section, get relegated and then appeal and stay up! St Keverne, who I have no dealings with, came 6 places higher and despite not entering the year before (Grounds for appeal?!) get relegated. Has to challenge the 3 year system and I, for one, would like to know the reasons for their relegation being rescinded! Answers on a postcard please!!

I find it very difficult to understand why a band who came last in the First Section, get relegated and then appeal and stay up! St Keverne, who I have no dealings with, came 6 places higher and despite not entering the year before (Grounds for appeal?!) get relegated. Has to challenge the 3 year system and I, for one, would like to know the reasons for their relegation being rescinded! Answers on a postcard please!!

All to do with Storm Brass disbanding and how the removal of them from grading table is applied.

St Keverne were the lowest ranked band in the section irrespective of the Forest of Dean Brass appeal.

All promoted/relegated bands are entitled to appeal their gradings but I can only assume that St Keverne accepted their relegation.

KernowSop

Looking at second section, I wonder how much reliance has been placed on the results for the bands which entered Exmouth - which is not the best indicator of the group of players who will appear at the next areas...

Plantangenets will sort these bands out though - a great piece with some lovely music in it. Brilliant choice - even if rather a stern test.

Looking at Paddy's ranking, I cannot see what you mean?

simonium

I am also guessing that their succesful appeal against relegation directly affected our appeal to be promoted after a 2nd and a 3rd (beaten y the two bands relegated from the section above the year before). I don't mind though - Brass Triumphant is turgid unimaginative ****e and The Plantagenets is sheer class! :p

ghost

Looking at Paddy's ranking, I cannot see what you mean?

Did you see who played for St Pinnock at Exmouth? It was like a who's who of the Cornish championship section! Not that I have any objection to this as it is all in line with the Exmouth rules, but unless they all sign up between now and March, it will be a different band at the areas.

IanHeard

Did you see who played for St Pinnock at Exmouth? It was like a who's who of the Cornish championship section! Not that I have any objection to this as it is all in line with the Exmouth rules, but unless they all sign up between now and March, it will be a different band at the areas.

Exmouth has always been 'ringer city' in my experience.:)
To be fair to Pinnock their recent record in bonafide contests is pretty good, and I expect them to be there or there abouts come the Areas.

simonium

Exmouth has always been 'ringer city' in my experience.:)
To be fair to Pinnock their recent record in bonafide contests is pretty good, and I expect them to be there or there abouts come the Areas.

As will Pendennis hopefully. What a piece though and again I'm glad I grapple with a euphonium :)

KernowSop

Ah sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were commenting on the exmouth result / pendennis being joint favourites. I can assure you that the band we had at exmouth won't be too different from the band that was at exmouth. However, if anyone listened to our 1st go at the test piece, we would not have such good odds! ;-) luckily there's plenty of time for home practice before the new year.

ghost

Ah sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were commenting on the exmouth result / pendennis being joint favourites. I can assure you that the band we had at exmouth won't be too different from the band that was at exmouth. However, if anyone listened to our 1st go at the test piece, we would not have such good odds! ;-) luckily there's plenty of time for home practice before the new year.

Glad we sorted the little missunderstanding. You will certainly do very well and get promotion. I thought you deserved promotion by bar 20 of resurgam 2 areas ago! If I had been told that I was listening to the first section whilst you were playing I would have had believed it. It was splendid and the colours you painted showed true west cornwall class. Anyhow, you will enjoy the Plantagenets. It is a real test for the second section and will sort those who can from those who cannot. Best wishes to you!

Product tMP members are discussing