Paddy's Welsh Area - 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

BikeBadger

Perhaps they are planning putting the letter in with the Bands Xmas card ?
Rudeness served with portions of Unfairness and Ineptitude, topped with a drizzle of oily Arrogance and a dollop of perky Ineptitude.
Merry Christmas from the Welsh Committee :icon_sad:

Rambo

It seems to me that a great deal of the frustrations expressed here by non Wrexham brass players as well as the band seems to drift towards the Committee and Philip Morris in particular. Surely the committee are voted for by the Welsh banding community and therefore can be removed by the same people. Simple vote of no confidence in Philip Morris and he is then surely removed. Can't see it happening however because sadly our society is such that we dont stand up for what is right anymore except when it affects us.

Thirteen Ball

It seems to me that a great deal of the frustrations expressed here by non Wrexham brass players as well as the band seems to drift towards the Committee and Philip Morris in particular. Surely the committee are voted for by the Welsh banding community and therefore can be removed by the same people. Simple vote of no confidence in Philip Morris and he is then surely removed. Can't see it happening however because sadly our society is such that we dont stand up for what is right anymore except when it affects us.
A point I completely agree with.

It's often stated, when the potential reform of the national championship is discussed that "Well if enough bands pull out in protest, they'll have to change it!"

The point is, bands don't do that. As a whole, we don't back each other, or support each other, even when something demonstrably unfair has happened.

As I've previously mentioned, we only have one side of the wrexham debate, because we've not heard anything officially from the committee so I'm deliberately not going to use that incident as an example because it's far from a closed book.

But let's say hypothetically one of the really leading lights in banding were treated appalingly and disqualified from next year's area for no good reason. Would the bands around them rally round and say the equivalent of "That's horribly unfair, you can't treat Grimey/Cory/Fodens (or whoever) like that and expect the rest of us to put up with it!" And pull out in sysmpathy?

Probably not, I'd suggest, because we're bred to focus on winning and winning alone. It's rather more likely that the bands around them would think "Blimey, bit easier getting to th'albert 'all without Briggus/Dyke/Fairey (or whoever)" and carry on regardless.

This focus on contesting is why we don't back each other - because it's more palatable to see another band treated badly where the side affects further/abet the needs of your own, rather than take a stand for what it right and proper and in the process rule yourself out of contest success.

The only bands with the necessary reputation and clout to change anything in the way contesting is run are - ironically - those who don't need contesting to suvive. Who can pack houses up and down the country whether they won the open or not.

And in all honesty, they have much bigger fish to fry.

Last edited:

BurgerBoy

It's Boxing DAy now. Can we have an update from Wrexham Brass? I would also ask The "committee", but they simply don't think they have to tell anyone anything.

Rustonw

Wrexham have still not received any written confirmation for the appeal decision. The WRC have taken the approach that saying nothing is the best policy, this is because they know that they have fabricated most of their witness statements. It's time for these idiots to step down and Mr Morris to resign. It is they who have brought the Welsh Regional into disrepute and not Myself or more importantly Wrexham Brass

BikeBadger

Doesn't look as though you're going to receive a reply. They seem to be hoping you'll fade away. Do you have a next step or will this be it? (Best Wishes)

John_D

As the Welsh Committee have yet to confirm the outcome of the appeal, have Wrexham submitted an entry for the areas. May be one way to get a response from them.

Wrexham is still in winter hibernation and will probably update in the new year. I am not on the committee and no-one on the committee have informed me of any response. I believe our position is currently quite straightforward, they banned us, allowed us to appeal (from my point of view that was a waste of petrol), told us the appeal was unsuccessful, told me a letter to explain their decision would be in the post and then carried on in what appears to be standard practice.
I am fairly certain we have made no application to compete in the Area, but hope to compete early in the new year building to another appearance in the Senior Trophy at Blackpool. We, as in all bands, look forward to a successful and prosperous new year. However, we currently expect to be second section in 2013.
Happy New Year to all, and a sincere good luck to all those competing Nationally in 2012.

ploughboy

It is they who have brought the Welsh Regional into disrepute and not Myself or more importantly Wrexham Brass
I'm sure you can justify that, by your own admission early in the thread you did not act in an always appropriate manner on the day. But beyond that it is a shame that the Welsh Committee haven't been open and transparent throughout the process. It's given yourself and Wreham band lots of ammunition to throw back in their direction. I feel if the committee had just dealt with it quickly and cleanly but the outcome had been the same, you would have had much less general support. I hope it gets tided up soon, and most of all Brass players can go back to playing brass music, and enjoying it!

hobgoblin

Really! What about the 1000 visits to this thread since your comment? Happy new year!
Simples - 900 from you, 50 from bikebadger / burgerboy/ exasperated members of the long suffering Wrexham brass, 25 from myself and other disbelieving bystanders wondering if the penny has finally dropped yet - apparently not, and the rest for the comedy value /paranoid madness factor. Happy NEW Year indeed

Rustonw

Simples - 900 from you, 50 from bikebadger / burgerboy/ exasperated members of the long suffering Wrexham brass, 25 from myself and other disbelieving bystanders wondering if the penny has finally dropped yet - apparently not, and the rest for the comedy value /paranoid madness factor. Happy NEW Year indeed

Craig,
If you're that bothered I suggest you stay clear of this thread, It's obviously hitting a raw nerve! So unless you've got anything constructive to add instead of just personal insults I respectfully suggest you butt out!

BikeBadger

If no communication is forthcoming could there be a picket-line at The Brangwyn? Could there be a "Welsh Spring"? (only asking)

Status
Not open for further replies.