Paddy's Welsh Area - 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

sop 1

The sorry state of Welsh Banding - 40 bands.

The top of the banding scene may be doing very well however it all depends on grass roots to provide the stars of the future. All bands have been chasing the same players for the last 10 years.

:clap:

Paddy Flower

Lots has happened since the last prices and now that we have a confirmed line-up tMP predictors and the league have been having their say...

Championship Section
Cory - 4/11 fav
Tredegar - 15/8
BTM - 10/1
Tongwynlais Temperance - 18/1
Northop Silver - 100/1
Markham & District - 100/1
Beaumaris - 150/1

Paddy Flower

First Section
Wrexham Brass - 11/5 fav
Burry Port Town - 3/1
City of Cardiff (Melingriffith) - 7/2
Parc & Dare - 5/1
Abergavenny Borough - 10/1
Pontardulais Town - 10/1
Tylorstown - 18/1
Deiniolen - 33/1
Penclawdd - 50/1
Rogerstone - 66/1

Paddy Flower

Second Section
Lewis Merthyr - 11/4 fav
Llwydcoed - 5/1
Royal Buckley Town - 5/1
Blaenavon Town - 5/1
Llanrug - 13/2
RAF St Athan Voluntary - 15/2
Newtown Silver - 14/1
Ynyshir - 14/1
Cross Keys Silver - 18/1
Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen - 20/1

Paddy Flower

Third Section
Goodwick - 5/4 fav
Tata Steel (Corus Port Talbot) - 9/2
Newport Borough - 9/2
Treherbert & District - 5/1
Briton Ferry Silver - 15/2
Ogmore Valley - 14/1
Crwbin - 16/1
Severn Tunnel - 25/1

Paddy Flower

Fourth Section
Cwmbran - 13/8 fav
Mellingriffith 2 - 15/8
Ystradgynlais Public - 100/30
Abertillery Youth - 5/1
Oakdale Silver - 13/2

I'm ready to take your Paddy Pound bets on Swansea
E-mail paddy_flower@yahoo.com for details on how to enter
"Paddy's Fantasy Brass Band League"

Now might seem like a good time to move our bandroom across the border - two bands to qualify from 5 compared to 3 from 22 at the West of England Area.

With Swansea being 100 miles from our bandroom and Torquay being 140, something seems a little out of place here.

Renting a bandroom in Monmouth or Cheptsow and re-registering as a Welsh band could be an option!

Seems like a good idea Dave - Maybe the GBBA ought to move over to Wales - would improve the number of bands in the Wales contest and the probability of going to the Nationals.

Surely qualifying should be based on factors of 8 (for example):
<8 competing - 1 band qualifies; <16 - 2 bands; <24 - 3 bands; >=24 bands - 4 bands

Much better than 40% chance in Wales; 14% chance in WoE for the 4th section for example!

its going to be a really short day on the sunday at brangwyn, just 5 bands in the 4th section and 7 in the top section, should be back in north wales by tea time :rolleyes:.

Cantonian

its going to be a really short day on the sunday at brangwyn, just 5 bands in the 4th section and 7 in the top section, should be back in north wales by tea time :rolleyes:.

......and a very long day on Saturday (note start is later on Saturday than Sunday).:confused:

Last edited:

Euph1888

Any ideas why Saturday is starting at 11:30 when there are 18 bands to compete even before the first section starts and on Sunday they only have 12 bands to do in 2 sections and they are starting at 11:00, its not as if a North Wales Band has to travel 4 hours for an early start on the Saturday

It seems crazy to me they are not starting earlier, I'm a bit biased but its going to be a late one getting back for Section 1

Griffis

Any ideas why Saturday is starting at 11:30 when there are 18 bands to compete even before the first section starts and on Sunday they only have 12 bands to do in 2 sections and they are starting at 11:00, its not as if a North Wales Band has to travel 4 hours for an early start on the Saturday

It seems crazy to me they are not starting earlier, I'm a bit biased but its going to be a late one getting back for Section 1

Just done some research, and you'll find it's not quite that bad....there's 28 bands on saturday!! Better bring your sleeping bags ;)

Alyn James

Why were you up so late last night shed? You'd've been better off catching some zzzz's so you'll be fresh for the journey......;) (Good Luck)

Why were you up so late last night shed? You'd've been better off catching some zzzz's so you'll be fresh for the journey......;) (Good Luck)
Hi Alyn, Im not going to be there im afraid mate! ive decided to take some paying gigs instead!!!:biggrin: you better make sure you have a beer or 3 for me!:guinessthat welsh lager they sell in the brangwyn bar does taste good!! good luck to yourselves too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Product tMP members are discussing