Paddy's Spring Festival - 2013

Cheers Paddy for the Virtual invite, very flattered (and hope it comes true).... However to have Jackfield at 10/1 when Sovereign are 28/1 is too flattering. We have beaten them once in the last 20 years and that was something like 1997 when both bands were still 3rd section! Think if youswap them around it would be nearer the truth! As for other bands possible for an invite Phoenix Brass West Midlands are very worthy in my view and deserve some thought.

Bass Man

does anyone know whether there is a recording of this piece (brass band)? anywhere out there:confused:

Unless I'm mistaken Steve (correct me if I'm wrong) it's a new arrangement, as stated in the 4br article, so I highly doubt there'll be a brass band recording available any time soon

ben16

is there any 'system' to who is invited to the trophy? i thought it was mostly on rankings but now i'm not so sure.
i take it they don't consider last year's relegated bands, or 1st section bands.

johnmartin

We had been trying for years to get in and I have no doubt that selection is based on a combination of factors. Not being a Championship section band and not being listed in the top 200 ranked bands were reasons I had been given over the years for not getting an invitation. We were delighted to finally get an invitation last year.

Relegated bands have to sit out 12 months before re-applying.

iancwilx

We had been trying for years to get in and I have no doubt that selection is based on a combination of factors. Not being a Championship section band and not being listed in the top 200 ranked bands were reasons I had been given over the years for not getting an invitation. We were delighted to finally get an invitation last year.

Relegated bands have to sit out 12 months before re-applying.

Kippax who were 1st Section at the time were accepted for the Trophy in 2003, (Tournament for Brass), but, in my totally unbiased opinion were unfortunate in coming last. It was a decent performance to be proud of, and I sat and heard quite a few that (IMHO) were not as good, but, as we all know, that's contesting !

~ Mr Wilx

MoominDave

A number of years of observation suggest to me that there are no strictly set criteria at all - I think the organisers simply make a sort of lucky-dip among those bands that score closest on a combined scale of geography, ability, keenness, visibility and knownness-to-the-organisers.

It can be frustrating when you feel that your band deserves an invite and year after year passes without one landing on the mat, but it does at least provide a contrast with the rigidly democratic Nationals qualifying process. Both approaches have a place in our community.

Get some money on yourself! I'd be very shocked if you came that low down, bands above you there that you wouldn't even think twice about competing against!

Patronising on all counts, those bands you "wouldn't even think twice about competing against" might just bite you on the ****. And this time last year Flowers were favourites....

A number of years of observation suggest to me that there are no strictly set criteria at all - I think the organisers simply make a sort of lucky-dip among those bands that score closest on a combined scale of geography, ability, keenness, visibility and knownness-to-the-organisers.

It can be frustrating when you feel that your band deserves an invite and year after year passes without one landing on the mat, but it does at least provide a contrast with the rigidly democratic Nationals qualifying process. Both approaches have a place in our community.

Its not geography, they come from all over. Its not ability, the results will decide that. Its not keenness(?) don't know what you mean by that. Its not visibility and certainly not "knownness-to-the-organisers"(?) All you have to do is apply and see where it gets you. If you want to go then I would apply...

MoominDave

No, it's not any one of those factors; it seems from my perspective as a member of a band that applied every year for a number of years in the Championship section with less joy than other similar bands got, it's a whole combination of things - as I wrote. Fwiw, I wouldn't advise my band to apply at the moment - given that we struggled to get in when in the top section, applying when in the 1st section would seem a distinct waste of time.

I remember spotting something vaguely similar when I joined the NYBB - I auditioned on euph first time, and passed the audition, though not splendidly so. I was advised however that there would be no vacancies on euph for a long time, and not to get my hopes up. Consequently a year later I auditioned on bass trombone and got in straight away. On the first course I attended, I roomed with a friendly lad from Yorkshire, who was 7th euph out of 6 seats - he'd been invited to attend a course on short notice the previous year when they were supposedly all full up when one of the other players had dropped out at very late notice. He hadn't even auditioned formally - but someone important at the band had known him directly and thought him deserving. Right place, right time, right person.

As for "keenness" and "knownness-to-the-organisers", I would suggest that applying definitely comes under both those headings...

iancwilx

I remember spotting something vaguely similar when I joined the NYBB - I auditioned on euph first time, and passed the audition, though not splendidly so. I was advised however that there would be no vacancies on euph for a long time, and not to get my hopes up. Consequently a year later I auditioned on bass trombone and got in straight away. On the first course I attended, I roomed with a friendly lad from Yorkshire, who was 7th euph out of 6 seats - he'd been invited to attend a course on short notice the previous year when they were supposedly all full up when one of the other players had dropped out at very late notice. He hadn't even auditioned formally - but someone important at the band had known him directly and thought him deserving. Right place, right time, right person.

When I was about to go on my first NYBB course they said that the EEb Bass section was full but I could go if I volunteered for BBb Bass... Even though I hate the beast, I went and had a brilliant time. Fortunately all my subsequent courses were on my beloved EEb Bass !

~ Mr Wilx

No, it's not any one of those factors; it seems from my perspective as a member of a band that applied every year for a number of years in the Championship section with less joy than other similar bands got, it's a whole combination of things - as I wrote. Fwiw, I wouldn't advise my band to apply at the moment - given that we struggled to get in when in the top section, applying when in the 1st section would seem a distinct waste of time.

I don't agree with all you say on this forum Moomin Dave and we have had our spats in the past but I have to say this is a beautiful answer.

I would say go for it as a 1st section band and don't view it as a waste of time, apply and have a go.

You might just put the cat amongst the pigeons....and that can't be bad for brass banding

bass2bone

Wow Tylorstown are ranked outsiders again, same as last year and we can 3rd in our 1st ever Spring Festival...I like them odds very much indeed

Product tMP members are discussing