Paddy's North-West Area - 2011

mikelyons

Supporting Member
I must say that I have no problems with our placing yesterday. 3rd place is just about the most perfect result on our path back to good form. This is all down to the efforts of Neil (Mr Motivator) Parkinson and the band members who have worked their socks off on this piece. Well done all.

I still have problems with the grading system, though. There are going to be more of the anomalies noted by other people as there is no way of pinning an adjudicator down on the remarks alone and, it must be said, the remarks are not always as helpful as they might be.

Finally, I think there were some problems with the organisation yesterday. I do not wish to criticise the organisers too hard because it's an immense and thankless task, but, for example, we were taken through to the back of the stage, all fired up to play, and then had to cool our heels there in the cold and draughty back stage area for 10 mins while the adjudicator had a 'comfort break'. I understand this is necessary, wouldn't want the poor chap to burst, but maybe these things could be timetabled in so that bands are not kept waiting unexpectedly. It's very off-putting aftyer you have gotten yourself all fired-up and ready to then have to hang fire for that amount of time, getting cold and losing focus.

jockinafrock

Chuffed to bits with Fodens win yesterday - it was a class above! :woo
Very pleased with how my band Crewe Co-op played - a difficult piece that's been a delight to play. We came a creditable 7th and are more than happy with that (and off a number one draw too!) Think we may have managed to stay up for another year! :D

Father To Be

Well said, I couldn't agree more with your final sentence.

It would appear that playing safe and boring in the lower sections gets you in the prizes, which makes me wonder why bands bother working on the piece for weeks to add those 'finishing' touches.

I don't dispute the prize winners (well, I do a couple, but we won't go there), but I can't help but feel for some bands today because I honestly felt many were robbed. When the third section results were announced, there were gasps heard around the theater. Says it all really.
I feel the comment on playing safe and boring in the lower section couldn't be truer. Are we seeing a return to adjudicators simply looking at which band plays the right notes? If this is the case then 2-3 weeks work on a piece will be fine.

In the run up the areas we had a guest conductor who told us that over the last few years adjudicators had been instructed to consider musicality and artistic interpretation in lower section contest, as they are in the Championship. Is this a decision that has now been reversed? If it has then this should be communicated to bands so they know what they should be aiming to achieve. Whilst this would make for a much duller day for the audience and adjudicator (can you have a dwindling, dwindling audience?) it would help all bands and reduce the feelings of "we was robbed."

The gasps around the theatre for the 3rd section result were telling as the audience felt there were bands who put on a performance that was better than those who achieved the top places. This is not a criticism of those bands as they should be congratulated for putting on a performance that the man in the box felt were the best. Ultimately interpretation will always be subjective, but this being the case is it time for two heads being better than one?

There will always be complaints and different views on performances, but with the costs of getting a band ready for a contest (extra rehearsals, fuel cost, coach hire, room hire, entrance fee etc) knowing you are going to get a fair result should be the minimum a band should expect.

Best of luck to all those bands who qualified for the finals and I hope you do the NW area proud.

Beesa

Well deserved result for the lads and lasses at Besses. I thought the Bass Trom was outstanding from start to finish. I suppose I am biased but it is great to hear the trom on the bass line like that, strong and solid without of course, ever being over powering.

I listened to another band where the lady on euph - who was clearly in control at this point - brought all the band in close. The MD then came on and brought them in even closer. This guy was now in control and it showed. From there it was 100% effort all round. It was interesting to see the MD place the baton on the solo cornet stand before the start of the second movement, presumably because he might forget to pick it up for the third movement after taking the second movement sans baton. Nice to see how he set the mood of the last act before conducting. The performance paid off.

After just a few bands in the Ballroom I reckoned I had had my nine quids worth already

I had been in to the Opera House for one or two 3rd Section bands. I'm not quite sure why percussion (and maybe some others) have to keep their heads down into the music even if playing a long series of offbeats. I think on a couple of MDs were giving it all for the big day but some of the band were only intent on playing the black dots on a sheet of paper. There was some really enthusiastic playing (I don't mean that as a euphemism). Few people can resist the occasional bit of toe tapping but all the way through a test piece means the conductor is going to be fighting to have control. I think blowing water out between movements is considered these days acceptable or even entirely necessary but along with clicking mutes onto the floor it doesn't half break the mood of a piece.

And in the Tarantella there is a world of difference between fast playing and rushed playing. Some bands just didn't seem to want to enjoy this part. Get it over and done with maybe. When you have the privilege of playing on the stage of the Winter Gardens Opera House there is a wonderful chance to enjoy playing the music.

Nipping into the packed (yes, by mid-morning!) Pavillion Theatre, it was nice to see the presence of Brownbills and Broadbents. Extra chairs were being sought and brought in. In such a packed hall it was a pity the bands were not on the stage as in a previous year. I don't want to give my thoughts on the bands' performance because they are so much at odds with the adjudicators'. Ah well.

Back in the Opera House later and I reckoned Wingates must have a fantastic following. Alan Morrison presenting each section to the audience for what must have been the longest and loudest - but well deserved - applause of the day.

How I would have loved to have heard the Fodens winning performance but you can't be in two places at once, which is usually one of the problems of having 5 sections playing in one day.

Rock on Regionals 2012.

Last edited:

titfa

The gasps around the theatre for the 3rd section result were telling as the audience felt there were bands who put on a performance that was better than those who achieved the top places.
Sour grapes anyone ?!?

We have all felt we've had bad results at one point or another, stop bleating and get over it !!

Andy_Euph

Congrats to all the qualifiers, got to do the business down south now.

Happy with my bands performance, wrong person in the box, it happens. Their is always the next contest :)

Special well done to James and Besses Boys, one result outside the top 2 in the past year is an amazing record for any band :clap:

Columbo

Kstring24 you are entitled to your opinion and I applaud your honesty, however I don't think many would have called our performance boring. It was adventurous to say the least. Many bands were slower and less boisterous.

Well done to all qualifiers and thanks to Golborne. See you all next week.

Rage on!

backrow

Whats all this safe and boring rubbish? do you mean playing at the right speed and dynamics as indicated by the composer. In the 4th yesterday a lot of bands pushed the last movement and paid for it. I asked a member of one band who did this why they had taken it so fast and the reply was " it didn't feel right at the marked speed" presumably it did to John Golland! In his remarks at the end Paul Norley said that he had been looking for usicality and quality of sound presumably he thought that some bands had more of these qualities than others. Sticking to the composers instructions isn't safe and boring but basic musicianship.

stotty74

Can Cheshire Constabulary get promoted even though they weren't at the contest today?

I worked it out at Hoover & Greenalls going up? I'm not too in the know on how it all works though so I'm probably wrong.
I thought i had worked it out being us and Hoover aswell...Greenalls have 21 points (11, 6 and 4) whilst i think Cheshire have 27 (10, 3, 14)? I havent got my programme to work this out unfortunately so i may be wrong also ;-)

Bit disappointed with the result yesterday after hearing the adjudicators comments...next time i will attempt to do exactly what it says on the tin...although when a tempo marking has ( ) around it, surely that is open for some interpretation? Anyway not complaining about the results as we and my band know we could have played better, and i accept the adjudicator's decision even if i dont necessarily agree with it, but congratulations to all the prizewinners and qualifiers.

Roll on the Second Section in 2012...hopefully ;-)

I thought i had worked it out being us and Hoover aswell...Greenalls have 21 points (11, 6 and 4) whilst i think Cheshire have 27 (10, 3, 14)? I havent got my programme to work this out unfortunately so i may be wrong also ;-)

Bit disappointed with the result yesterday after hearing the adjudicators comments...next time i will attempt to do exactly what it says on the tin...although when a tempo marking has ( ) around it, surely that is open for some interpretation? Anyway not complaining about the results as we and my band know we could have played better, and i accept the adjudicator's decision even if i dont necessarily agree with it, but congratulations to all the prizewinners and qualifiers.

Roll on the Second Section in 2012...hopefully ;-)
I had the following worked out.

Hoover (Bolton) : 13.5
Greenalls : 21
Eagley : 22
Whitworth Vale & Healey : 24
Cheshire Constabulary : 27.5
Eccles Borough : 27.5
Hazel Grove : 27.5
Lostock Hall lMemorial : 28
Pemberton Old Wigan DW "B" : 29
Rivington & Adlington : 29.5
Skelmersdale Prize : 30
Farnworth & Walkden : 30.5
Stalybridge Old : 32
Formby : 37
Trinity Girls : 38
Hawk Green (Marple) : 40
Ramsey Town : 43
BMP Europe Ltd. Goodshaw : 45
Valley Brass (Haydock) : 50

angdeeoompahpah

Excuse me whilst I vent on here for a moment.

This may sound like sour grapes and I suppose if I'm being honest it. Flog me all you like ;)

I have been a professional trombone player for 9 years, I have taught at the JRNCM for 4 years and have been an examiner for the RNCM. So I would hope I know a little about music and how things should sound.

At the NW Area today I had the adjudicator of next weeks Yorkshire Area 4th section come up to me after our performance today and these are his words said " that was outstanding and after hearing all the bands today there is no question that you will be in the prizes "

Guess where we came??? Last!!!??? :confused:

Now don't get me wrong I have come in the middle of the pack or worse before with B&R but I knew or the band knew we did not deserve it.

The remarks say things went wrong, people came in at the incorrect place and wrong notes were played. NON of which actually happened. These were not our remarks.

How do two adjudicators have such a difference in the ensemble of a band? Note I say ensemble not interpretation.

Well done to Boarshurst, the band sounded great today and deserved the place they rightly earned!

Today has left me completely disheartened and very confused.

James Garlick

James,
I too was gobsmacked by your result.I wasn't there,but a friend of mine was & he said you should've walked it-he was stunned you weren't first place.
Can't you appeal against the decision?
Angela.

Third section points carried forward

Eagley : 10
Pemberton Old Wigan DW "B" : 13
Whitworth Vale & Healey : 15
Stalybridge Old : 17
Cheshire Constabulary : 17
Eccles Borough : 17
Hazel Grove : 17
Rivington & Adlington : 19
Farnworth & Walkden : 20
Skelmersdale Prize : 24
Lostock Hall lMemorial : 25
Ramsey Town : 26
Trinity Girls : 28
Formby : 30
Hawk Green (Marple) : 32

Also 4 (maybe 5?) relegated/promoted bands will have an average of 16.5

tat

I had the following worked out.

Hoover (Bolton) : 13.5
Greenalls : 21
Eagley : 22
Whitworth Vale & Healey : 24
Cheshire Constabulary : 27.5
Eccles Borough : 27.5
Hazel Grove : 27.5
Lostock Hall lMemorial : 28
Pemberton Old Wigan DW "B" : 29
Rivington & Adlington : 29.5
Skelmersdale Prize : 30
Farnworth & Walkden : 30.5
Stalybridge Old : 32
Formby : 37
Trinity Girls : 38
Hawk Green (Marple) : 40
Ramsey Town : 43
BMP Europe Ltd. Goodshaw : 45
Valley Brass (Haydock) : 50
Ramsey Town and Valley Brass were relegated last year but agree with the rest

Last edited:

tat

Third section points carried forward

Eagley : 10
Pemberton Old Wigan DW "B" : 13
Whitworth Vale & Healey : 15
Stalybridge Old : 17
Cheshire Constabulary : 17
Eccles Borough : 17
Hazel Grove : 17
Rivington & Adlington : 19
Farnworth & Walkden : 20
Skelmersdale Prize : 24
Lostock Hall lMemorial : 25
Ramsey Town : 26
Trinity Girls : 28
Formby : 30
Hawk Green (Marple) : 32

Also 4 (maybe 5?) relegated/promoted bands will have an average of 16.5
I've got them slightly different as the attached PDF (unofficial of course)

Attachments