Paddy's North of England Area - 2013

I heard EYMS play and I thought it was very good. Very "neat and tidy". I was surprised you didn't come higher but I didn't hear the winners.

Ste69

I heard EYMS play and I thought it was very good. Very "neat and tidy". I was surprised you didn't come higher but I didn't hear the winners.

Cheers Simon, I heard you guys play, a fantastic reading by Richard and classy soloists. Well done all at Shepherds.

Thanks - we worked very hard on it and 5th in our first contest in Championship for a while is very satisfying. I heard Bands playing 5, 6,7 & 8 (before deciding it was time to go the pub!) and I liked your performance most, although Reg Vardy's was very good and I can understand why they came where they did.

Bass Man

Thanks - we worked very hard on it and 5th in our first contest in Championship for a while is very satisfying. I heard Bands playing 5, 6,7 & 8 (before deciding it was time to go the pub!) and I liked your performance most, although Reg Vardy's was very good and I can understand why they came where they did.

Thanks, congratulations on your placing, good effort for your first year back in the top section.

Although I didn't hear EYMS, as I make a policy of not listening to bands in the same contest as me (because I get incredibly nervous as it is), many people I have spoken to did and they said they played a great band and expected them to take the title.

Ste69

Thanks, congratulations on your placing, good effort for your first year back in the top section.

Although I didn't hear EYMS, as I make a policy of not listening to bands in the same contest as me (because I get incredibly nervous as it is), many people I have spoken to did and they said they played a great band and expected them to take the title.

Awww Dan, you don't have to say that just cos we're family. Lol

mdunk

Well I thought we (Nasuwt Riverside) played a blinder, thing is its been on the cards For a while that something good was going to come from all our hard work. Probably the best and most experienced adjudicator in the country happened to agree. So come on lads credit where credit is due.

mdunk

Well I thought we (Nasuwt Riverside) played a blinder, thing is its been on the cards for a while that something good was going to come from all our hard work. Probably the best and most experienced adjudicator in the country happened to agree. So come on lads credit where credit is due.

Andy_Euph

I enjoyed conducting and playing at the weekend, although neither band got the best of results. I didn't get to hear many bands but did get to hear NASUWT Concert in the 3rd section and thought they were outstanding, and quite probably could have won the section above.

I also heard a few bands in the 2nd section and disagree with the banding media saying that all the bands couldn't play it, York RI Band in particular played a very good performance.

ploughboy

I heard all the first section, thought Catterick & Harrogate were the stand out bands easily, I'd have placed them the other way up, but couldn't disagree with Mr Read too much.
Heard 7 of the 4th section bands, some very nice playing, no one really nailed one, but lots of good stuff, pretty much agreed with Mr P-J's some bands abused the tempos and therefore picture of the music, just because they thought they had a band who could play it fast!
3rd section we saw the first three bands, Houghten were very very good from number 1, we missed NASUWT as we were back stage. We played well (East Riding of Yorkshire) and were very pleased with our result!
Missed the 2nd section I'm afraid to say, having taken our several trophies to the pub to fill up, although I have heard York RI Andy, and I have to disagree with you, and agree with the banding press - no band can play it. RI made a good job, very nice solo cornet & euph too, but it wasn't faultless and thats been the same across the country :(
Top section - saw Shepherds (5th!) and EYMS (4th) and the rest we were still in the pub! EYMS gave us a much clearer neater account and to find they were only one place above Shep's was a surprise, I'm assuming the other bands were very good indeed too. .

Everyone seemed to go home early, by 10.30 we were about the only bandsmen left drinking in Darlington. Had a great weekend though, and now looking forward to playing at the Nationals without all the hassle of organising a band to go :)

T Winch

Well I thought we (Nasuwt Riverside) played a blinder, thing is its been on the cards for a while that something good was going to come from all our hard work. Probably the best and most experienced adjudicator in the country happened to agree. So come on lads credit where credit is due.

I thoroughly enjoyed your performance. I thought Mr Farr's reading of the piece was superb. He seemed to get more from the music than anyone else and all the soloists were outstanding. Awsome horn section! To be honest, any one of the first four bands could have won and it wouldn't have been a surprise result but I think Mr Read got it right. It goes to prove that the Northern Area Championship Section is no longer a one horse race or a forgone conclusion. This can only be a positive thing for banding in our region.

ringa

well said Trev.
I've heard their recording on soundcloud and watched their performance on you tube.
very tidy playing
you are so right regarding the area as not being as one horse race anymore

tat

IMissed the 2nd section I'm afraid to say, having taken our several trophies to the pub to fill up, although I have heard York RI Andy, and I have to disagree with you, and agree with the banding press - no band can play it. RI made a good job, very nice solo cornet & euph too, but it wasn't faultless and thats been the same across the country :(

Does this mean that all testpieces are too hard ploughboy? doubt that any band in any of the sections at any of the areas played a faultless performance!!

ploughboy

No, not at all. They're there to do a job, and as far as Plantagenets went we certainly improved some aspects of our playing, but even the winning bands in most 2nd sections didn't come that close to 'good' performance, so maybe it was a bit tough - I heard plenty of 4th section bands being able to get pretty close to their piece it made for a good days listening (both in Yorkshire & the North).

Silky_Smooth

If someone of David Read's calibre cannot get it right then that doesn't say much for the rest of the adjudicators. This coupled with the fact he adjudicated the premiere of the the piece at RAH. Also I agree with MDunk in that Riverside played a blinder on the Sunday evening and credit should be awarded accordingly rather than it seems obvious sour grapes. Everyone has an opinion but I'm sorry to say there was only one man in the box and if Riversides recording and video are anything to go by I'm not surprised they won!!!

T Winch

well said Trev.
I've heard their recording on soundcloud and watched their performance on you tube.
very tidy playing
you are so right regarding the area as not being as one horse race anymore

So I take it you haven't told Bobby McBurnie how lucky they were ;)

Tubazz

I think it is the fairest result in the championship section the area has seen for a long time,NASUWT soloists were outstanding on the day, man in the middle was terrific ,i quote " some class playing"

Tubazz

NASUWT riverside,and NASUWT concert band,2 bands 1 bandroom 2 great results,outstanding achievements for all concerned,both players and non players, well done

Bass Man

Well I thought we (Nasuwt Riverside) played a blinder, thing is its been on the cards For a while that something good was going to come from all our hard work. Probably the best and most experienced adjudicator in the country happened to agree. So come on lads credit where credit is due.

Absolutely Michael. I certainly wasn't trying to take anything away from your performance, I understand that you were excellent. I'm looking forward to both bands representing the region in London, if we both put on performances of the same standard as we did at the weekend I'm sure we'll give the judges something to ponder. Massive congratulations on the win mate