Paddy's National Finals - 2010

Gladis

Ooo very controverstial Andy!! What I find strange/interesting though is that all the Yorkshire bands apart from in the 4th section were placed next to each other. 3rd and 4th in second section, last 2 in 1st section and 12th and 13th in 3rd section. Good to see we're consistent!

Andy_Euph

Ooo very controverstial Andy!! What I find strange/interesting though is that all the Yorkshire bands apart from in the 4th section were placed next to each other. 3rd and 4th in second section, last 2 in 1st section and 12th and 13th in 3rd section. Good to see we're consistent!

I hadn't noticed that, and yeah thats a bit weird. Well done on your result though Lizzie :biggrin:

worzel

We got to harrogate conference centre for the draw not long before the draw for the third section at half one. The section started one hour and 45 mins later than stated and we drew last out of the hat. We didn't play until after half past ten. We finished seventh and are quite happy but I have never ever been so exhausted after playing at a contest, its impossible to play your best after having had to hang around for that length of time. We are now on our bus back to Kent as a few of us (mainly teachers) have to work in the morning. We will get back at about five
That sucks. We were so relieved to draw 6th, and those of us who left straight after playing got home by midnight. Despite your difficulties you still beat us this time round so well done on that at least :) Will we see you in the second section next year?

JR

maddeningly late again

10.15pm and still four 3rd Section Bands to play?

Memories of Torquay again. Absolutely rediculous.

WORK IN THE MORNING AND STILL IN HARROGATE.
What time the results?

When will they learn.

We left after the 4th section results - the 3rd didnt get underway until well after 5pm

For the life of me I cannot understand why a pre-draw (in 3 sectors?) akin to the English Nationals/Masters/Pontins system etc is not used - can someone please enlighten me?

It is patently unfair for very young people with School in the morning to have to play so late (and the Lower sections are likely to have more of them)

Some other observations: (my daughter and I were there from half way through the 4th section)

Have the curtains returned to the stage? - I thought these had been removed in recenty years to help the stage acoustic

Refreshments havent reduced in price...

The half time break seemed v long. The test wasn't that long - surely 21 bands could have been pushed through in 5.5 hours?

All the principal cornets we heard got the the top C - that was fantastic, really encouraging

2nd and 3rd Movts were a big ask for this level (no-one mastered the Lento ending to the 2nd or the long accel in the 3rd)

Ian Brownbill was right about the 1st movt - most bands lacked Maestoso feel - was this because they adhered a bit too rigidly to the tempo marking of around 96 and couldn't stop the semis rushing on stage?

I just feel the whoe 4th section setup needs a revamp as advocated by Iwan Fox and others

John R

astreet83

great weekend had by all at Blidworth. All really happy with how we performed and place (8th).

Looking forward to next time.... hopefully next year!!

My experience from Saturday was that the contest was well organised and staffed. Perhaps they all had too much pop Saturday night like myself :)

hornplaya89

Congratulations to Market Rasen RPC. I'm extremely proud that people were speaking so highly of your performance - I hope everyone who went had a wonderful experience and enjoyed playing on that stage.
Particularly well done to your star player, Smain Mokrane - nice one matey!

Well done for getting there!

Splitzer

Terrible venue, poor to play and listen in from what I can remember -to be expected of a conference centre rather than concert hall. Still think a lot of atmosphere and sense of occasion was lost when the lower sections finals moved from London.

astreet83

I think the venue is fine and not that bad to play on. You play to the rooms strengths, its sounds dry on stage so you have to make sure all the detail can be heard by all.

The cost for all sections to be held at London would be massive not only for the organiser's but also the bands attending.

If not Harrogate or London where?

Goldie Horn

Great weekend everyone! Well done LSC bands!

Somewhere where 2 sections can perform at the same time might be a good idea (!).

I would like to nominate the Gordon Craig theatre at Stevenage. We could have one band on the stage and the other in the sports hall. One of the greatest venues in the country ;)

Goldie Horn

Somewhere where 2 sections can perform at the same time might be a good idea (!).

I would like to nominate the Gordon Craig theatre at Stevenage. We could have one band on the stage and the other in the sports hall. One of the greatest venues in the country ;)

That was a joke by the way :wink:

10.15pm and still four 3rd Section Bands to play?

Memories of Torquay again. Absolutely rediculous.

WORK IN THE MORNING AND STILL IN HARROGATE.
What time the results?

When will they learn.

Maybe in the future Paddy should run a sweepstake on the finishing time for the Sunday!

Shame as the Saturday seemed to run to schedule.

wittig

That sucks. We were so relieved to draw 6th, and those of us who left straight after playing got home by midnight. Despite your difficulties you still beat us this time round so well done on that at least :) Will we see you in the second section next year?

You will indeed! A few of our band listened to you guys and said it was really good. Overall the L&SC bands put in a good showing this year. Certainly not the weak region that some people think it is in my opinion.

Owen S

Well, it would at least stop people whinging about the Harrogate acoustic anyway. :D

I don't think I remember what playing in the theatre is like, it's so long that we played there rather than the sports barn.

Product tMP members are discussing