Paddy's Midlands Area - 2012

jockinafrock

Well done to Stone Town coming 10th on their debut at the fourth section.
They had to deal with a bass player being wooed by second section band during preparation and only couple of weeks ago their Solo Trombone player died. Put that with unavailability of percussists for the day and you start to see the monumental feat they achieved. Well done Graham Randle.
WELL DONE STONE! :clap: A fantastic result on your contesting debut! Sorry about your loss :(

ian perks

Im just so really very happy for Newhall Band yesterday;i only help them out for contests but the hard work they put in and to come back from the low placing at Derby contest 7/8 shows how hard that band really have worked.
I know how much this result means to them having come 7th(2010)& just missing out last year.
I know they will be more than pulling out the stops for the National in September with the players they have got.
Once again well done Newhall it was a great pleasure in helping you yesterday getting to the Nationals:clap:

Last edited:

marksmith

Im just so really very happy for Newhall Band yesterday;i only help them out for contests but the hard work they put in and to come back from the low placing at Derby contest 7/8 shows how hard that band really have worked.
I know how much this result means to them having come 7th(2010)& just missing out last year.
I know they will be more than pulling out the stops for the National in September with the players they have got.
Once again well done Newhall it was a great pleasure in helping you yesterday getting to the Nationals:clap:
I would also like to congratulate Newhall - and my mate Ian, on the successful result. Well done!

marksmith

Yes hope so. It's a great section. A bit large, but some great bands to make competitive.

S
The first section is the most difficult to call a result on, these days. So many good bands!
You appear to be wearing a lot of medals these days, Steve. You'll end up looking like a Soviet General!

I must dust off my euph........;)

Well done to Stone Town coming 10th on their debut at the fourth section.
They had to deal with a bass player being wooed by second section band during preparation and only couple of weeks ago their Solo Trombone player died. Put that with unavailability of percussists for the day and you start to see the monumental feat they achieved. Well done Graham Randle.
Thank you Kronk, whoever you are!!!

Graham Randle

Jedi Master!

Ash77

Just on the re-balancing of numbers in sections, for Midlands you could say it's a good thing to have a small second section and larger 1st and 3rd rather than being spread out between those three sections. This year we've had 14 bands qualify for the nationals out of 80 bands who competed. WoE, out of 79 bands, only have 12 representing them in the finals due to their 1st-3rd sections all being under 17 bands meaning only 2 bands qualify from each. You could also say that WoE 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] section is probably on average a better quality than our 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] section – after all if our 1[SUP]st[/SUP] section was the same size as theirs we would have 4 of our 1[SUP]st[/SUP] sections bands competing in the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]. And it’s worth saying that the fact we’ve got 18 1[SUP]st[/SUP] section bands and WoE have 14 does not mean we have 4 more bands who are of 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Section standard (whatever that means) than WoE. Fact is there is absolutely nothing which grades bands by their true standard nationally – it’s all relative to how good you are against other bands in your region.

Personally I think each region should, with certain guidelines, be able to decide how many bands they want in each section and fix those sizes – like our football league. The balancing which is built into the rules (when a section gets down to ten then only one band is promoted and one band relegated so gets a net gain of 2 that year, assuming the sections either side have more than 10 in them) is not at all appropriate for a region as large as the Midlands as that rule implies the section sizes you are trying to maintain are only 12 bands. In the case of Midlands just set championship at 12, 1st-3rd at 17 and the difference in the 4th (with 85 bands listed currently makes the 4th section size 22). Just think that those numbers should be fixed and then work promotion/relegation rules around it to maintain those numbers.

The two main things which allow sections to get out of balance are bands dropping out/folding or through ties. In the case of bands dropping out then just relegate less from it to compensate. In the case of ties I think it’s a mad system - it wouldn't have been outside the realms of possibility that the 2nd section could have had 3 bands promoted and 3 bands relegated this year if some ties came into play which would have taken it down to 9 (and made the 1st and 3rd sections even bigger). In the case of a tie base the grading on the most recent form. i.e. discount the result 3 years ago and recalculate points, if still a draw then base the points between the tied bands purely on the most recent area placing.

Overall I don’t know why we have rules which cause sections to become unbalanced, and therefore inevitably require some form of manual intervention from time to time to re-balance, especially when that action only ends up getting taken when the imbalance has got quite extreme and been wrong for a number of years already…

LynneW

Yep - just read that - so tie in first only two bands - tough luck Burbage - two first in last two years and still in 4th Section
If Burbage feel that they should be promoted they can appeal to the regional committee to go up (I must admit, with two firsts I'd be surprised if the appeal was turned down).

StellaJohnson

If Burbage feel that they should be promoted they can appeal to the regional committee to go up (I must admit, with two firsts I'd be surprised if the appeal was turned down).

As an ex player there myself, I hope they do, they deserve to be in the third section with results like that.

There are a lot of bands that get promoted to the third with 3 year results like 5th, 6th, 8th that get promoted and have a torrid time in the third, like what happen to Burbage four years ago and get relegated again. You're not ready to be in the third then with results like that. You need to show you can qualify to the nationals at least. The 3rd section is hard and very competitive if you cannot prove excellent results in the fourth. That's what happen last time to Burbage and they weren't ready for it and had have poor 1st year average. They certainly are ready now, and that's not taking anything away from the bands who are promoted

First thing to say is that Burbage Band are obviously delighted to have won twice in a row at a very tricky contest. Second thing to say is a big thank you to all who have been in touch to congratulate us - especially members from Ireland Colliery and Newhall (who I dont know personally) which I think shows real class.

We are dissapointed not to be promoted (if it proves to be that way). What I would say is that I imagine that the regional committee will play the rules absolutly with a straight bat given the past, rather unfortunate, legal history. If the rules say two go up, then those are the rules and we accept them totally. If however, there was some restructuring and we ending up going up then we'd be very proud to do so.

First thing to say is that Burbage Band are obviously delighted to have won twice in a row at a very tricky contest. Second thing to say is a big thank you to all who have been in touch to congratulate us - especially members from Ireland Colliery and Newhall (who I dont know personally) which I think shows real class.

We are dissapointed not to be promoted (if it proves to be that way). What I would say is that I imagine that the regional committee will play the rules absolutly with a straight bat given the past, rather unfortunate, legal history. If the rules say two go up, then those are the rules and we accept them totally. If however, there was some restructuring and we ending up going up then we'd be very proud to do so.
Or you could always go to the final and win that and then you would get automatic promotion to the 3rd Section (although as I play with one of the other qualifying bands I really shouldn't say that). Congratulations on your win at the weekend and good luck at the finals.

marksmith

I think that the second section could do with the extra band, anyway.
I agree that the third section is competitive, and perhaps under-rated in standard?
However, it's the fourth that really needs some consideration, it is a few bands too large.
I cannot stand the thought of any 'lottery' decisions, and once over 20, I think that there is a certain inevitability about it happening.
It's not the best performances, or even the worst, that suffer. It is the middle/average results that make the totting-up points important.
There is a lot of difference in coming say 19th to 8/9th over three years.
How can all performances be accurately reflected in the marks/positions, if the section is too big?
It does need sorting, for the sake of the grey majority!

BarneyEuph

The first section is the most difficult to call a result on, these days. So many good bands!
You appear to be wearing a lot of medals these days, Steve. You'll end up looking like a Soviet General!

I must dust off my euph........;)

Don't worry Mark, sure the medals will fall away now we are in a big boys and girls section.....

Or you could always go to the final and win that and then you would get automatic promotion to the 3rd Section (although as I play with one of the other qualifying bands I really shouldn't say that). Congratulations on your win at the weekend and good luck at the finals.
Oh OK then, if you insist, we will :D

Congratulations to Desford and Jag on qualifying but a very special mention to all at Sovereign Brass (well done Dave Maplestone) on a really excellent result this weekend. You have overcome huge hurdles and we were looking out for your result all day. A fairly poor draw but from all accounts an excellent performance - so pleased for you all and a huge WELL DONE:clap: