Paddy's London & Southern Counties Area - 2013

euphymike

Makes me laugh all this LS&C bands aren't as good.
1 is it because there is less distraction than living in the north. I started with Rowntrees works brand. Not a lot of distraction so two fully attended rehearsals each week. I have friends who play with a east yorks band and apart from the pub nearest diversion a good thirty miles drive.
2 is it because of local issues with younger players coming through? My London does not encourage any other playing activities after school. So no chance, unless you find a band yourself.
3 diversions. Yes the west end only ten miles away by underground and if I want to see a show and the only tickets available are on band night then you miss band.
4just enough players to go around normally unless someone moves here. So always a struggle to keep a full band.
pick which option you want?

Accidental

Supporting Member
yep, scaba and the LSC regional committee are 2 completely different things.
a few people do sit on both committees though, and you'll see scaba folk giving up their time to help with registrations, stewarding etc at Stevenage.

Sad to see Norfolk missing from the line up - will they be back next year?

Accidental

Supporting Member
Chris, in the absence of any updates from Paddy it would be interesting to see how the voting is going - any chance you could put any numbers up on here for people to see please?

Hi Alex
I can only provide list of favourites so far.
Championship Friary Guildford
1st Section Thundersly
2nd Section Fulham Brass
3rd section LGB
4th Section Snowdon
Cheers
Chris

cockaigne

Voting on performances that haven't been played yet, or compared to their competitors? How very democratic.

Personally, I would like to see a system introduced whereby the draw for results takes place at the same time as the draw for order of play (the lucky winners being picked by ERNIE, or some equally randomised calculus machine). This would surely make the contest day much less stressful all round, both on stage and off, and mean we could all get to the bar/curry/bed earlier into the bargain.

leginald

Voting on performances that haven't been played yet, or compared to their competitors? How very democratic.

Personally, I would like to see a system introduced whereby the draw for results takes place at the same time as the draw for order of play (the lucky winners being picked by ERNIE, or some equally randomised calculus machine). This would surely make the contest day much less stressful all round, both on stage and off, and mean we could all get to the bar/curry/bed earlier into the bargain.

Haven't I read this somewhere before?!

The above poll can only be a bit of fun, but it does keep this thread alive while all the L&SC band geeks wait for 4BR and All4Brass to put up their previews and predictions, or for Paddy to reappear...hopefully?

Accidental

Supporting Member
^ absolutely! Its just a bit of fun seeing as we don't have the prediction comp any more and Paddy seems to have dropped off the face of the earth....

(I know there's another thread about Paddy and don't want to take this one way off topic, but surely someone must know who and where he/she is? It would be good to know if s/he's ok)

WhatSharp?

^ absolutely! Its just a bit of fun seeing as we don't have the prediction comp any more and Paddy seems to have dropped off the face of the earth....

(I know there's another thread about Paddy and don't want to take this one way off topic, but surely someone must know who and where he/she is? It would be good to know if s/he's ok)

Looks like the All4Brass previews have now dissappeared....and I daresay 4barsrest predictions will turn up saturday morning ( or Monday lol ). Hate being the last flipping region to play!

Bob Sherunkle

Thanks. For once I don't disagree with them ( on first section ) :eek:. Mind you First could be won by any one of about 6 or 7 bands, it's that tight this year.

I can hear the sighs of relief coming down the M4....

What might be interesting (or not?) would be to know if any of the first section bands actually want to be promoted on Saturday.

Bob

Will the Sec

'Course not, Bob. If they got promoted to the top flight, they wouldn't get to play at Butlins unless they were invited!

MoominDave

I took that to mean the people who were sour-grapesily insinuating that there were unseemly connections between some bands and adjudicators. Surprised it rated a mention again this year.