Paddy's London & Southern Counties Area - 2013

James Yelland

Well, thank you all for your helpful comments. The slow section has always been a mystery to me ever since I saw in the score that it was subtitled 'Homage to Mr', with no further hint as to the identity of the unidentified male (if only there was some sort of clue in the music!). But perhaps it's just me being dim (which, I do know, means 'getting fainter').

It did occur to me that if the phrase had been used to describe a fast passage with lots of black notes, it would have to have been amended to 'semi-detached melancholia' (thanks, Bob!) Anyway, I'll go away now and brush up on my vocab.

Last edited:

HorniKaz

Supporting Member
The slow section has always been a mystery to me ever since I saw in the score that it was subtitled 'Homage to Mr', with no further hint as to the identity of the unidentified male (if only there was some sort of clue in the music!). But perhaps it's just me being dim (which, I do know, means 'getting fainter').

MR = Maurice Ravel ;)

MoominDave

Sorry, had a non-frivolous thought here, for which apologies.

Copyright was life plus 50 years when you wrote HM, not 70, wasn't it? Which would mean that that borrowed Ravel phrase would have become fair game at the start of 1987. Coinkidink?

cockaigne

I for one loved the 'Homage', Philip. The use of fibre mutes especially brings the sound of Ravel's orchestration to life in a way I didn't think it would be possible to match on brass instruments alone.

What did frustrate me, in hearing several performances from bands around the country, was that there seemed to be a tendency to approach this movement as a brass band slow movement, rather than with reference to Ravel's style (which, far from being 'soft-focus', is often beautifully delicate and clear). A comment on the approach taken to those performances, not a slight on your scoring.

Most Respectfully ;)

Jack

Anglo Music Press

Sorry, had a non-frivolous thought here, for which apologies.

Copyright was life plus 50 years when you wrote HM, not 70, wasn't it? Which would mean that that borrowed Ravel phrase would have become fair game at the start of 1987. Coinkidink?

Point of order: Ravel would have come out of copyright at the start of 1988.
Point which you might not believe: I was never aware of borrowing ANY phrase from Ravel. I've been told there's a bit of the Pavane for a Dead Infanta in there, but if there is, it wasn't deliberately quoted.

GJG

... their opinion is invalid because they don't play in the Championship Section.

Would my opinion be invalid because I'm with a band that does play in the championship section, but probably shouldn't be there ... ?

GJG

... there seemed to be a tendency to approach this movement as a brass band slow movement, rather than with reference to Ravel's style (which, far from being 'soft-focus', is often beautifully delicate and clear).

That's a very good point. However, it has to be said, there are many recording's of Ravel's music by internationally renowned and respected conductors and orchestras which also tend to take a "soft-focus approach to the performance ...

DMBabe

Supporting Member
Mixed bag of results for my chums across the sections , Dave & Di and BassTrumpet at Kidlington are probably amongst the happiest though :)/QUOTE]

Personally, shell-shocked is more accurate...... :)

My Band Secretary bought me a pint when we got off stage ... Does that make me a paid "superstar" ? :)

Oh yeah! Does that mean we now have to contact you via your PR agent?

Oh yes it is! Mwahahahaha

But weren't you the only one there? Oh no........ All those upper section bands were teeming with them....... Obviously!:rolleyes:

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.