Paddy's London & Southern Counties Area - 2013

johnflugel

maybe for once the judge was looking for a BRASS BAND not an orchestra or trumpet players trying to play a cornet and that special sweet BRASS BAND sound. not a ridiculously loud harsh noise how ever well played technically or clinically with no feeling from the heart

What and who on earth are you talking about?

johnflugel

Hear, hear! Same with ZOB Alan. In ten years no one player has been payed to play (*reaching to polish halo/adjust smug hat* I do it for free too.....I'm petty sure that ensures me a place is brass band heaven).

Wherryman, I trying to be positive about bands in the Area. I really can't think of anyone who brings in many "professionals" (I play trombone for a living and the buisness is small, Stevenage isn't a annual meeting place for mecenary, evil pros bent on ruining everyones fun) and certainly not "household names". No one can really afford constant expensive additions. I think all conductors would want a full band week in week out to grow and improve together. I know lots of great pros that don't find it enjoyable coming into a band at the last minute, to be paid a small fee to have the weight of expectation that you'll be perfect and when you're not, you let down a load of nice people who really care about what they do and have been rehearsing for months!

So Zone One players don't get £500 each for the area? How disappointing to learn that they're not a bunch of mercenarys, hell-bent on bleeding the movement dry with their wicked non-heartfelt, Eric Ball-less playing ;)

The Wherryman

Wherryman, I trying to be positive about bands in the Area.

There is a difference between being positive and being blinkered. I'm not saying there is a vast amount of money to be made, but there is no doubt that money changes hands and the band seen at the contest isn't necessarily the band the punters will pay their money to hear at subsequent concerts. I fully accept that some bands, perhaps the majority, don't go down this route, but it's a situation that's been discussed on here often enough.

chill

Hear, hear! Same with ZOB Alan. In ten years no one player has been payed to play (*reaching to polish halo/adjust smug hat* I do it for free too.....I'm petty sure that ensures me a place is brass band heaven).

Wherryman, I trying to be positive about bands in the Area. I really can't think of anyone who brings in many "professionals" (I play trombone for a living and the buisness is small, Stevenage isn't a annual meeting place for mecenary, evil pros bent on ruining everyones fun) and certainly not "household names". No one can really afford constant expensive additions. I think all conductors would want a full band week in week out to grow and improve together. I know lots of great pros that don't find it enjoyable coming into a band at the last minute, to be paid a small fee to have the weight of expectation that you'll be perfect and when you're not, you let down a load of nice people who really care about what they do and have been rehearsing for months!

There is also a difference in my opinion to paying people to play, who replace an existing player just for the contest (not something we ever consider), and paying a player dep fees where you have an unfilled seat. The later is something we have to do from time to time, this year we were fortunate enough to just need one dep to help on percussion.

Warderloo

Elvis, I'm afraid it does, please leave banding forever you pampered superstar.

We agree Wherryman, you don't have to persist or call me blinkered. I was responding to a comment about hiring "Superstars" and just said didn't think it was anywhere near as big an issue as might be thought.

Last edited:

Warderloo

Sorry Alan, I've realised what you quoted isn't what I meant at all and is missing two important words, damn you my poor use of English!
"I would guess that most bands have a large majority just 'members' on stage at the Areas with a much smaller number bought in" should have read "I would guess that most bands have a large majority of just 'members' on stage at the Areas BUT SOME a much smaller number bought in"! I wasn't suggesting everyone buys in, because they don't!

Kinrao

So did a member of my own family.

Compared to the level you obviously play at they are amazing.

I am sure that any friends you have at Aveley, Wantage, Medway, 'Brian T's' band (to mention a few) really appreciate their playing being described 'chod'.

....and you can say this because of your vast experience and knowledge

Now you are contradicting yourself and trying to dig yourself out of the hole you have created.

I have some good friends in Friary and the other bands who I know would give me honest opinions. These people have played in the Championship Section for a long time. Their comments are based on experience and I value them. When they say that, whilst ours was not a flawless performance, it was a good one that was tight, with good dynamics and a warm sound and most of the technique was clear and, that we deserved to win, I believe them.

Regent Brass, whilst not the best band in the world, has been working damn hard over the last 4/5 years to be where they are. The players probably do more home practice in a week than you do in a month and they have a genius of a young conductor who has got them this far by encouraging and coaxing the raw material that was already in the band. WE don't buy in Super Stars.

The brass band movement is getting smaller all the time. All you have done here is to put a blanket smear on the Championship Section in the L&SC region. Any younger person reading this could easily ask themselves do they want to aspire to that level only to have [metaphoric] mud and stones thrown at them by 'Armchair Ajudicators' who, actually, know little more than they do. I would guess not.

This is supposed to be a 'sport' (of a kind). I'm not seeing much sportsmanship in your words!!!!!!!!

What an absolute load of rubbish! You need to take your Championship Section rose tinted spectacles off and realise that there are some very fine musicians (who, contrary to your opinion, practise just as much if not more than you do) and some very educated ears in the lower sections.

Your band has won a contest by convincing the only person who's opinion matters that your performance was the one he should send to the RAH as champions. You have absolutely no need to validate this by telling everyone that your competition thought so as well but please don't tell someone you don't even know that their opinion is invalid because they don't play in the Championship Section.

You're going to have to get used to the fact that championship contests attract more listeners and therefore more opinion than the others. If you can't take it then you're going to make yourself pretty unhappy.

There are far too many opinions like yours about lower section banding and the vast majority are really rather dull and pompous.

Martin

What an absolute load of rubbish! You need to take your Championship Section rose tinted spectacles off and realise that there are some very fine musicians (who, contrary to your opinion, practise just as much if not more than you do) and some very educated ears in the lower sections.

Your band has won a contest by convincing the only person who's opinion matters that your performance was the one he should send to the RAH as champions. You have absolutely no need to validate this by telling everyone that your competition thought so as well but please don't tell someone you don't even know that their opinion is invalid because they don't play in the Championship Section.

You're going to have to get used to the fact that championship contests attract more listeners and therefore more opinion than the others. If you can't take it then you're going to make yourself pretty unhappy.

There are far too many opinions like yours about lower section banding and the vast majority are really rather dull and pompous.

I can assure you Kinrao that my spectacles are anything other than Rose tinted, I came to my present band from the 4th Section and I am still very much in touch with my roots!!!! My comments were nothing to do with any of the other bands in our area, but to a person who, in my OPINION, was inaccurate in what he said. It's the same old story, if you throw stones be prepared for them to be thrown back and if you express an opinion, be prepared to qualify it.

James Yelland

On a separate note, I see that, according to the 4BarsRest retrospective, Regent Brass played the central slow section with detached melancholia. I have no idea what detached melancholia is/are, and was wondering if anyone from the band - or anyone else - could enlighten me.

Yours puzzled,

Jim

Bob Sherunkle

On a separate note, I see that, according to the 4BarsRest retrospective, Regent Brass played the central slow section with detached melancholia. I have no idea what detached melancholia is/are, and was wondering if anyone from the band - or anyone else - could enlighten me.

Yours puzzled,

Jim

Dear Jim

I think that I once painted my front room with melancholia emulsion.

Maybe detached melancholia is one of those posh paints, like Farrow and Ball, for painting rich people's big houses.

You could try checking out their colour chart.

That's all I can think of.

Hope it helps.

Bob

Laserbeam bass

Yours puzzled,

Jim

Maybe Peter Bale can answer that one ;)

Anglo Music Press

Yours puzzled,

Jim

Hi Jim, I've had a quick check on Wikipedia and 'melancholia' is the plural of 'melancholie', which is a cross between a melon and a cauliflower. Detached means that the taches were removed before cooking; they are slightly toxic, but apparently you would have to eat about 100 a day for 347 years to notice any effect.

Hope that helps, although I feel you could have really checked this for yourself instead of wasting my valuable time....

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.