Paddy's Butlins National Mineworkers Championships - 2012

Tracey

I would just like to say welcome back to contesting, Old Silkstone!! It's great to see you've managed to rebuild and get back on the circuit! Here's to a good, friendly, rivalry once again! :clap:

Thanks Mic! It feels great to be back and also looking forward to good friendly rivalry again!!:)

And well done on your result on Saturday! :clap:

Will the Sec

And quite rightly so!! Very special thanks to Becontree and especially Mark! I don't know how many players can actually put claim to both 1st AND 2nd at the very same contest? :clap: :guiness
At the Reading contest at some point in the 90s, the set piece was Tintagel, and the Sop player from the Rolls Royce band stayed on stage and played again. His finishes were 2nd with RR, and 1st the band he depped for. Very rare, though!

Tomhaslam

And quite rightly so!! Very special thanks to Becontree and especially Mark! I don't know how many players can actually put claim to both 1st AND 2nd at the very same contest? :clap: :guiness
It happend this year in the 4th section! The kit player fron Coppul played with us (Greenfield). Thanks again Sean! :clap:

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
Once more another cracking weekend at the Costa Del Sludge / Skegvegas. As usual, all the people I'd said to beforehand that we should meet up I never saw, but it was the unexpected old friends I bumped into that made for a pleasant weekend socially - including someone I hadn't seen for (must be) 15 years and I didn't know they were even still playing.

Banding-wise, I didn't get to hear too many bands, unfortunately. The lure of alcoholic fulfillment in the Sun and Moon after we'd played was greater than the lure of spiritual fulfillment in the 1st section so I didn't hear any other 1st section bands apart from our own performance. We knew when we came off that it wasn't good enough and will probably end up being consigned to the 'might have been' performances bin. The 8th place in spite of the split and error fest probably shows just how far we have come in the last 12 months in terms of the our sound. We must try not to do the same at the Area!

As ever the contest itself was slickly run so I should congratulate Brian, Stan and the rest of the team for that.

I did hear a couple of the top section entertainments - Redbridge, Woodfalls and Desford and of those three Woodfalls were a mile ahead. I loved Steve's arrangement of Brooklyn though - top stuff Mr March!

So that's it for another year, but its fairly certain that I'll be there again next year. After all I'd be a fool to miss banding's best weekend!

tat

One gripe I do have about this weekend is that although we were well out of the running for a decent placing (we finished 10th in third section, that I have no problem with) it's the remarks that you get. Ours contained virtually no criticism of our performance, it was all :

Good cornets, lovely horns, great trombones, lovely and musical etc etc etc.

We want to know where we went wrong and not get patronised with remarks akin to a prizewinning performance so that we can work on our weaknesses for the next contest and beyond. Did anyone else find this at weekend???

All in all though it was a great weekend though and a very strong showing from our North West rivals, makes for a cracking Area contest in a few weeks.
We were criticised for the tempo of the last movement with it sounding rushed and some scrappy sections in it, although we also had some good comments in that movement on some of the players ability to play at that tempo.