Paddy's Butlins National Mineworkers Championships - 2012

MoominDave

It didnt run to Paddys form book did it?, But have to say the two Yorkshire bands in Unite and Imps were everyones favourites for the top two up to the contest and after they had played they were still most peoples favourites to take the top two positions.
Sounds like a decent argument in favour of retaining the box to me! The adjudicators picked who they liked without being swayed by reputation. I listened to one highly fancied band and was shocked by how beatable the performance sounded.

Congratulations to Becontree on a great first result in their new section!

Laserbeam bass

Sounds like a decent argument in favour of retaining the box to me! The adjudicators picked who they liked without being swayed by reputation. I listened to one highly fancied band and was shocked by how beatable the performance sounded.

Congratulations to Becontree on a great first result in their new section!
Thanks Dave. Much appreciated.

PFmaestro

It didnt run to Paddys form book did it?, But have to say the two Yorkshire bands in Unite and Imps were everyones favourites for the top two up to the contest and after they had played they were still most peoples favourites to take the top two positions. Most who heard every band did not have Becontree and Driglington in the top two. That said a very well done to the prize winners and especially Becontree and Drig. Hope your form carries to the Areas
Becontree played very, very well and am not surprised they featured in the prizes!

I heard a lot of the bands and majority seemed very "samey", Adam gave the piece so much space and that came across well, where as some bands rushed through sections and some dragged it out loads! Wouldn't say thats a bad thing, its personal interpretation, but thats how i saw it. Soloists played well too (especially Mark who managed to get Becontree and Driglington 1st and 2nd!! ;) )

Well done Becontree!

DobX Dave

Congratulations to all the Saddleworth Bands on their good results.

I was unable to travel to Skegness. Comments from any Tmp members that heard the following would be appreciative as 4BarsRest comments/coverage of the lower sections was rather scant.

Second Section

Uppermill (Alan Widdop) placed 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] off number 15
Delph (Jonathon Davies) placed 6[SUP]th[/SUP] off number 16

Third Section

Boarshurst Silver (David Ashworth) placed 1[SUP]st[/SUP] off number 5

Fourth Section

Greenfield (Tom Haslam) placed 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] off number 13

Thank you

Andy_Euph

Congratulations to all the Saddleworth Bands on their good results.

I was unable to travel to Skegness. Comments from any Tmp members that heard the following would be appreciative as 4BarsRest comments/coverage of the lower sections was rather scant.

Second Section

Uppermill (Alan Widdop) placed 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] off number 15
Delph (Jonathon Davies) placed 6[SUP]th[/SUP] off number 16

Third Section

Boarshurst Silver (David Ashworth) placed 1[SUP]st[/SUP] off number 5

Fourth Section

Greenfield (Tom Haslam) placed 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] off number 13

Thank you
Greenfield were excellent, very tight with a really nice sound. On this form they should be one to watch at Blackpool

Tomhaslam

Greenfield were excellent, very tight with a really nice sound. On this form they should be one to watch at Blackpool
Thanks for your comment Andy nice to have some positive feed back.

I'm over the moon with our result but also nice to see all local bands doing well!

Tracey

I would like to congratulate Simon Kerwin and Old Silkstone Band on their 12th placing off No 2 in the first section. This may not seem a good result but considering we didn't have a band to be able to compete at last years area contest and its been 18 months since we actually entered a contest we are very proud! Here's looking to the future!! :clap:

As a band we cannot thank the principle from Beacontree enough for helping us on the day given our circumstances. Fantastic result for the band and now we wish to build on it for the areas and beyond! Thanks for all the kind words all and thanks to the organisers for a fantastic weekend!

Chris Hicks

Fantastic weekend, so great to retain our title again, with some fabulous playing particularly Paul Richards on Sop and Andy Smith on Princ Cornet, they were both sublime the entire weekend!

Also thanks to butlins for putting Gaymers cider on tap, that's one of my favourites, and could potentially explain my head a few times over the course of the weekend!

In case anyone is interested here's our adjudicator's remarks from both the Saturday and the Sunday.

Ray Farr

A really fine opening. Stylish & accurate some small weaknesses in balance & intonation, but this is first rate playing. Good attention to detail.

Ensemble 109 is poor. Fine Soprano. Non vibrato is missed. Super Euph (perhaps a bit sharp?). Fine playing with a real understanding of the musical style.

Some slight weakness in intonation, but this is terrific – Fabulous Cornet. Bravo!

Cym could be stronger.

The ending was really good (except for the 2 last difficult bars).

A fine performance. Bravo!

Peter Roberts

Good to open with effects noted. Just the odd moment in cornet. Seamless change of mood. Some fine playing.

62 well handled. Dynamic contrast is a feature.

82 Again some fine playing. Good effects after 92. Fine lead into 104. Again some good effects. Just the odd issue with note values in solo Sop.

Why the big break into the Euph cad? Some fine sounds at 131. well done to 139. good duet. 155 well done.

172 well done lower band. 190 good (intros?) to cor solo. Accomps are sympathetic to soloist. Well done to soloist.

228 needs more difference between accents. 256 again good effects. 300 some good sounds.

311 good balance & fine sounds which leads to a fine ending.

Overall a fine performance of this work by the band & conductor. Thank You.

Roger Webster

Blackbird Special – Off to a great start – neat & crisp.

Fear Not – Soloist shines throughout. Band provide such a great platform to display a soloist – balance is 100% (2 ticks)

Romani Fire Dance – Generally this all worked, with just a few small musical issues (note lengths etc.)

Seal Lullaby – The musical line is too often broken & dynamics either ignored or reversed. It could have been so much better.

Manchester Tale – This piece really allows the band to demonstrate a full range of dynamics – sop great control.

The musical imagery was fantastic. I am sure some audience members would have been moved or at the least disturbed.

A really fine show. Thank You

Peter Roberts

Blackbird Special – A fine opening to your programme with some fine lead lines.

Fear Not – Atmosphere created to open. Fine sounding soloist, sympathetic accomps. Well played.

Romani Fire Dance – Good to open, then some fine ensemble playing. Dynamics are a feature.

Seal Lullaby – Again you create atmosphere. A fine ensemble sound is evident. You make very good use of dynamics. This is very musical. A fine ending.

Manchester Tale – A good opening to this piece. Again ensemble is good. Allegro – Rhythmically good with use of accents to make the music come alive. Lento fine. 15 builds to an exciting ending.

A well thought out programme, and well executed. Thank you.

brassbandmaestro

Anno Draconis, EYMS were brill!! I only saw about 6 of the bands in then entertainment contest but I really enjoyed their performance, especially the trombonist's escapdes!!

Andy_Euph

Thanks for your comment Andy nice to have some positive feed back.

I'm over the moon with our result but also nice to see all local bands doing well!
Not a problem Tom, told Andy I thought it was a winner as soon as you came off stage. Great to see the band back up and doing well after a difficult few years!!

On a personal note I had a fantastic weekend away, my first contest outing with the stick and the first contest my band has ever done. I'm extremely proud as the band started from scratch 2 years ago with no instruments, no music, just an enthusiastic core of people who wanted to enjoy their banding. Being at the contest was success enough and that the band played confidently on stage was brilliant (most of the band hadn't played at a contest in over 4 years and some over 20 years!!).

Darlington next and as they say, the only way is up! :D

Will the Sec

brassyorkie said:
It didnt run to Paddys form book did it?, But have to say the two Yorkshire bands in Unite and Imps were everyones favourites for the top two up to the contest and after they had played they were still most peoples favourites to take the top two positions. Most who heard every band did not have Becontree and Driglington in the top two. That said a very well done to the prize winners and especially Becontree and Drig. Hope your form carries to the Areas

I will declare up front that LBB is my brother, brassyorkie, but I have several problems with your post.

1. With due respect to Paddy Flower, 4barsrest, my old grandfather talking to his mates in the British Legion, and anyone else with an opinion, pre contest predictions and form mean nothing as soon as the baton comes down for the first band of the day.

2. It does not matter one iota that after their performances you, all but 2 of the people in the auditorium, Paddy Flower, 4barsrest, my old granddfather talking to his mates in the British Legion, or anyone else thinks that a particular band or two were still 'favourites to take the top two positions'. Only two opinions count.

3. I am always wary of people who profess, as you do, to speak for "most people" and "the majority", as with precious few exceptions they are self appointed and without mandate.

4. Did you speak to 'most' people in the auditorium? If not how do you know Becontree and Drig were not in 'most peoples' top two? That said, refer to points 2 and 3.

5. The use of "Congratulations to all the prize winners" or similar has tended to follow most 'sour grapes' posts since the early days of tMP, after instances where the We Wiz Robbed brigade were rather prevalent and (shall we say) not well received.

6. Care to declare which band you belong to or follow? I'm guessing from your username you are not from London.

7. Of course, your opinion might just be more valid than anyone else's because you are be a superstar in the world of brass banding, eminently qualified, having learned the art of playing from Harry Mortimer, and the art of counducting from Peter Parkes, learned composition techniques from Meesrs Sparke and Richards, and know the test piece intimately because you are the compos.... no, hang on. Refer to point 2 again.

8. By all means, feel free to comment on the result, say it was a surprise, say who your preferred band was, what you didn't like about the winning performances, bemoan the price of beer etc, (this is a public forum after all) but at least do it in a way that presents your opinion, not those who you have no right to speak for.

Irrespective, I doubt LBB will have time to respond to your post, as, to paraphrase the wonderful post by Chris Doran, he has "a trophy to polish".

One gripe I do have about this weekend is that although we were well out of the running for a decent placing (we finished 10th in third section, that I have no problem with) it's the remarks that you get. Ours contained virtually no criticism of our performance, it was all :

Good cornets, lovely horns, great trombones, lovely and musical etc etc etc.

We want to know where we went wrong and not get patronised with remarks akin to a prizewinning performance so that we can work on our weaknesses for the next contest and beyond. Did anyone else find this at weekend???

All in all though it was a great weekend though and a very strong showing from our North West rivals, makes for a cracking Area contest in a few weeks.

Laserbeam bass

As a band we cannot thank the principle from Beacontree enough for helping us on the day given our circumstances. Fantastic result for the band and now we wish to build on it for the areas and beyond! Thanks for all the kind words all and thanks to the organisers for a fantastic weekend!
He drank enough for two principal cornets, both before and after the results :clap:

winterman

He drank enough for two principal cornets, both before and after the results :clap:
And quite rightly so!! Very special thanks to Becontree and especially Mark! I don't know how many players can actually put claim to both 1st AND 2nd at the very same contest? :clap: :guiness

winterman

I would just like to say welcome back to contesting, Old Silkstone!! It's great to see you've managed to rebuild and get back on the circuit! Here's to a good, friendly, rivalry once again! :clap:

Laserbeam bass

And quite rightly so!! Very special thanks to Becontree and especially Mark! I don't know how many players can actually put claim to both 1st AND 2nd at the very same contest? :clap: :guiness
Thanks Mic. I would also like to thank your band for the great write up on your website :clap::clap::clap:

Laserbeam bass

Irrespective, I doubt LBB will have time to respond to your post, as, to paraphrase the wonderful post by Chris Doran, he has "a trophy to polish".
Especially after the inside was coated in Champagne. It tasted very sweet, and although it was a cheapo one from Bultin's tasted great none the less. We of course being from the southern half of the country and more specifically London are used to Cristal, Krug and Dom Perignon, but will take whatever is on offer when we celebrate.