Paddy's Brass in Concert '09

ploughboy

Chris I wasn't having a go at you guys. I hope you don't take offence, I was mearly saying what I saw. I'm not sure it's innovation, although maybe if bands signed up Robbie Williams to sing, I'm sure it would bring in a new audience to brass banding!

My thought's for what they're worth, and please folks remember i'm a simple chap who likes what he likes, I can perfectly well see why the Adj put the bands where they did. . but IMO. . .

Carlton - were a good start to the day, and maybe the subtlety of their program didn't find favour with everyone, but they played with lots of emmotion throughout and made a feature if everyone corner player and section. Last was a very harsh placing. Also their young lady on Trom gave a superbly controlled rendition of Knightgale Sang, very nice and right up there with the soloists prize on the day.

Rothwell - I was expecting alot, and was dissapointed (sorry Tim!). Their 2nd piece was a brilliant opener! I liked the Trostien piece, unusual and very well played although I wouldn't buy and album with 12 of them. Then the solo? lovely singing, good balance with the band, but the Sop looked a bit out of place, and in the balance was mostly lost, was he there for eye candy? ;), Humming Chorus next? (and I didn't like the balance of the two quiet pieces back to back) nicely played, but it's all been done before. Good finisher tho, and you could see the quality on show - I don't know what it was I was expecting from Rothwell, I've a few mates there (oops, maybe less now) but I was expecting high energy, youthful invention. sorry guys.

Fountain City - inventive (no music) choeography started the program, and into ORB - not what I was expecting from the US of A, but very nicely done. . Stand up soloist "assistant principal 3rd cornet" played Carnival of Venice, awesome technique on display, but in fairness to others I wonder if she's normally on that seat with the band? Lovely swing number (foggy day) real style. Overall I was very impressed, and would have had them higher up the table, although they did re-set the percussion about 4 times while Frank was talking and it was a bit OTT for me. .

Flowers - Stuck to the formula - Opener, Solo, March, Quiet, Funny, Finisher (I think) And were very convincing, Mr. Holland had brought together a nice program with plenty to nod to your mate about. and all I believe with little preperation time. Nice Flugel Solo. Always Mid table for me. .

Cory - Not quite the slick blockbuster of last year, Again sticking to the Formula - Great Solo from Owen one of two blinders on the day! unlucky not to pick up a prize. Sat the same as last year, the big build up came to the comedy/fun slot. and the percussion section were the stars again - except it was all just a little de-ja-vu, three drummers, kit behind, swing number, hmm. . also I thought the tom solo's didn't really suit the Glenn Miller medley they were played with, I'm no expert but I do like a bit of Jazz and I thought the drums were out of context with what Miller did with his bands. Again you couldn;t much of the playing but it just left you thinking I haven't heard the winner yet. . . (4th or 5th for me)

Lunch! only 25 mins! Sorry Desford as quick as the sprint across the river for a burger is, I didn't make it back. . . . Why not have a 45 min break give everyone a fighting chance. . A guy in the queue at the burger van said, first band he'd missed in three years!

So, half way - I had Fountain, Cory, Carlton (Shows what i know!!)

Leyland - Something New! Good opener, grabed the attention. Euph feature - not my cup of tea (god i'm getting old) it felt like a 2 bar riff, that went on 2 min too long, some pretty impressive playing, but not for me. Some awesome quiet playing at times, and always under control.

Reg Vardy - Experience showed and Ray Farr's completion of the Tocatta and Fugue was pretty special, It rocked (in a brass band sense). I might not be sold quite yet on the concept but Mark Knightingale did what he does best smooth jazz (Autumn Leaves) ****** awesome, and nice jazz feel from the band too! Hunting Wabbits (a little last year) but I found it better presented than last year and enjoyed it more (stange I don't really know why) As finishers went on the day, this was probably the best, I suspect It might not have been as technical as some of the others, but done without music, using the stage as a theatre, armies of musicians marching around the stage - fanfare trupmets on the balcony - flag waving - glory and uplifting playing it had everything. I had them right up there in the mix, 2nd/3rd.

Fodens - Someone had been working hard in front of the PC, a very slick Media screen went alongside the whole show (Frank must have had a cuppa and his feet up!), A Space theme for the day, 2001 space oddasey opening, with title sequence above, aweome basses. into to startrek, and the introductions to the band "Garry Cutt and Captain Kirk" etc, so clever and funny (and I had a treky three seats down who was wetting herself). The the introductions to two pieces by Partick Moore - brilliant, inspired planning. I wasn't keen on the Euph feature with the commentary from above by Bram Tovey - the talking distracted from the playing and it left me feeling as though i'd missed something by paying attention to the other. . . Great finish, showing the power and class of the band (Music of the spheres). 2nd/3rd perhaps for me. . but a great show.

Brighouse - and Mr Evans back in the hot seat. Another band sticking to the Formula that served so well. Big rock opener, great Kit work at the back made it groove. Lovely Euph rendition of Mucushla (Sp?), classy. Good march and probably the best on the day, although it didn't quite have all the usual swagger. . Here we go - Comedy time! Bass Feature and Shaun Crowther up to bat, he's a star and he doesn't have to playing high and fast to prove it, winding Frank up while he's doing the intro, posing for photo's with the camera man, Tiger Rag - some awful noises from the end of his tuba - has a go on Trombone, and then Slings it (and if you missed it I mean THROWS it) down onto the stage, this was shock tactics in the extreme (I'm presuming it was a cheap £80 indian model, god, I hope it was!), to the other side of the stage, pinches a cornet from the back row and it too goes into the auditorium with force, Some of the world's most ridiculus circular breathing and a foot through the bass drum skin and it was all over - Dicky shouting at him for damaging the cornet. . .And PLC (enchanted/ing forest) to close, quality playing and a great program. My winners on the day.

Fairies - I wonder if the flack they took last year disheartend them a little we were waiting for the big entry, what was this years idea, sitting and playing, and as well as they did it we were dissapointed not to be treated to another side splittng show like last year. Maynard opening was a bit clever (another appearance of a player who just came back at the end for a bow!). Another band to "borrow" from last years contest Libertango, nice style, neat. A rather silly Anything you can do I can do better (Annie get your Gun) rewarded us with a winner to the contest and he got to play the solo! Euph solo, was excellent, mutliphonics etc, new, modern well played, strangely having not got into some of the other newer numbers on the day, I liked this a lot. Big Finish. 5th/6th - like so many bands nothing to complain about but nothing that really grabbed me either. . .

Grimethorpe - Out went the lights, on went the pit helmets, and off went Danny Boy - emmoitve stuff, and no need to start with a slap in the face to get the attention! Michael Dodds on Euph was Awesome, fantastic playing and he looks so unasumming stage (there were several soloists that seem to strutt and say look at me I'm the star, But Mr. Dodds semaed to say, listen to me, that's what i'm here for!). ABBA -we were lost for words - MD singing from the middle, 4 tuba's dancing at he side of the stage (mock heart attack included!), I'm not sure how it worked, it was too cheesy but you appreiciated the effort from everyone opening themselves up for ridicule - they were great! And the finale - Organ Symphony, no one held much back - fantastic end to the day. good but not a great for me. . .

So i'd have gone

B&R
Fountain City
Fodens
Reg Vardy
Grimey
Cory
Carlton Main

So to those who didn't do that well, I'm sorry I wasn't in the box! But it's all about opinions I find it very hard picking programs for entertainment contests, every band had great moments but only one or two put together a programme that worked all the way through. I obviously didn't have a score so could'nt really comment on how well everyone played what they'd chosen. Just my thoughts .As has been said already on this tread, Didn't seam to be as much invention and sticking the neck out as last year, is it the threat of not being invited that means bands are sticking to "the formula" more? I hope not, I don't want to go next year and see 12 limited versions of Opener, Quiet Number, Solo, Tricky Number, Comedy, Finsher. . .

I hope I haven't offended anyone, and as I said it's only my opinion, and I thought i'd share it. . . . .

rosolino

Fountain City - inventive (no music) choeography started the program, and into ORB - not what I was expecting from the US of A, but very nicely done. . Stand up soloist "assistant principal 3rd cornet" played Carnival of Venice, awesome technique on display, but in fairness to others I wonder if she's normally on that seat with the band? Lovely swing number (foggy day) real style. Overall I was very impressed, and would have had them higher up the table, although they did re-set the percussion about 4 times while Frank was talking and it was a bit OTT for me. . .

Went to hear FCBB for the the third time in 3 days at a concert in Glasgow last night and the "assistant principal 3rd cornet" was indeed in the same seat she'd been in all weekend. Should've been placed higher and should've won the march prize IMO. What did you think was OTT and they weren't the only band that re-set percussion, seating etc while Frank was speaking ..... most bands did.

iancwilx

I hope I haven't offended anyone, and as I said it's only my opinion, and I thought i'd share it. . . . .

Nice to read another perspective.
You put a lot of hard work into bringing your opinion to us and, I for one, appreciate it.
Very interesting.

- Mr Wilx

tsawyer

Rothwell - I was expecting alot, and was dissapointed (sorry Tim!).

No worries...this was the first entertainment contest we'd done in 10 years, we were never expecting to win. Don't think the draw helped either, I had to get up at 4.30am - no money for a hotel for us!

deave

nice commentary garry - enjoyed reading your opinions! :)
are u still signed with B&R??

keep golfing

ploughboy

Thanks Deave, No, haven't been for 2/3 years. Are you suggesting a little bias? :) With recent goings on in the bandhut at the West Riding I was a little anti B&R. . . So I was quite suprised at myself for enjoying them so much!

4.30 Tim? ****** hell! We went up and stayed over, 4.30 was about the time the ****heads on a lads night out were running up and down the corridoors and swearing in full voice. I hope you get another crack at it next year. .

ploughboy

ploughboy, were we in the same hotel!?

I don't know! Did I stagger out of my room and shout at you for being a noisey yob at 4 in the morning?!! ;)

We were in the Premier Inn, Gateshead - behind Frankie & Benny's. Not sure we'll be staying there again, arrived and our friends were given the card to their room only to enter it and find it full of someone elses stuff!!

Anglo Music Press

Chris I wasn't having a go at you guys. I hope you don't take offence, I was mearly saying what I saw. I'm not sure it's innovation, although maybe if bands signed up Robbie Williams to sing, I'm sure it would bring in a new audience to brass banding!

My thought's for what they're worth, and please folks remember i'm a simple chap who likes what he likes, I can perfectly well see why the Adj put the bands where they did. . but IMO. . .

Carlton - were a good start to the day, and maybe the subtlety of their program didn't find favour with everyone, but they played with lots of emmotion throughout and made a feature if everyone corner player and section. Last was a very harsh placing. Also their young lady on Trom gave a superbly controlled rendition of Knightgale Sang, very nice and right up there with the soloists prize on the day.

Rothwell - I was expecting alot, and was dissapointed (sorry Tim!). Their 2nd piece was a brilliant opener! I liked the Trostien piece, unusual and very well played although I wouldn't buy and album with 12 of them. Then the solo? lovely singing, good balance with the band, but the Sop looked a bit out of place, and in the balance was mostly lost, was he there for eye candy? ;), Humming Chorus next? (and I didn't like the balance of the two quiet pieces back to back) nicely played, but it's all been done before. Good finisher tho, and you could see the quality on show - I don't know what it was I was expecting from Rothwell, I've a few mates there (oops, maybe less now) but I was expecting high energy, youthful invention. sorry guys.

Fountain City - inventive (no music) choeography started the program, and into ORB - not what I was expecting from the US of A, but very nicely done. . Stand up soloist "assistant principal 3rd cornet" played Carnival of Venice, awesome technique on display, but in fairness to others I wonder if she's normally on that seat with the band? Lovely swing number (foggy day) real style. Overall I was very impressed, and would have had them higher up the table, although they did re-set the percussion about 4 times while Frank was talking and it was a bit OTT for me. .

Flowers - Stuck to the formula - Opener, Solo, March, Quiet, Funny, Finisher (I think) And were very convincing, Mr. Holland had brought together a nice program with plenty to nod to your mate about. and all I believe with little preperation time. Nice Flugel Solo. Always Mid table for me. .

Cory - Not quite the slick blockbuster of last year, Again sticking to the Formula - Great Solo from Owen one of two blinders on the day! unlucky not to pick up a prize. Sat the same as last year, the big build up came to the comedy/fun slot. and the percussion section were the stars again - except it was all just a little de-ja-vu, three drummers, kit behind, swing number, hmm. . also I thought the tom solo's didn't really suit the Glenn Miller medley they were played with, I'm no expert but I do like a bit of Jazz and I thought the drums were out of context with what Miller did with his bands. Again you couldn;t much of the playing but it just left you thinking I haven't heard the winner yet. . . (4th or 5th for me)

Lunch! only 25 mins! Sorry Desford as quick as the sprint across the river for a burger is, I didn't make it back. . . . Why not have a 45 min break give everyone a fighting chance. . A guy in the queue at the burger van said, first band he'd missed in three years!

So, half way - I had Fountain, Cory, Carlton (Shows what i know!!)

Leyland - Something New! Good opener, grabed the attention. Euph feature - not my cup of tea (god i'm getting old) it felt like a 2 bar riff, that went on 2 min too long, some pretty impressive playing, but not for me. Some awesome quiet playing at times, and always under control.

Reg Vardy - Experience showed and Ray Farr's completion of the Tocatta and Fugue was pretty special, It rocked (in a brass band sense). I might not be sold quite yet on the concept but Mark Knightingale did what he does best smooth jazz (Autumn Leaves) ****** awesome, and nice jazz feel from the band too! Hunting Wabbits (a little last year) but I found it better presented than last year and enjoyed it more (stange I don't really know why) As finishers went on the day, this was probably the best, I suspect It might not have been as technical as some of the others, but done without music, using the stage as a theatre, armies of musicians marching around the stage - fanfare trupmets on the balcony - flag waving - glory and uplifting playing it had everything. I had them right up there in the mix, 2nd/3rd.

Fodens - Someone had been working hard in front of the PC, a very slick Media screen went alongside the whole show (Frank must have had a cuppa and his feet up!), A Space theme for the day, 2001 space oddasey opening, with title sequence above, aweome basses. into to startrek, and the introductions to the band "Garry Cutt and Captain Kirk" etc, so clever and funny (and I had a treky three seats down who was wetting herself). The the introductions to two pieces by Partick Moore - brilliant, inspired planning. I wasn't keen on the Euph feature with the commentary from above by Bram Tovey - the talking distracted from the playing and it left me feeling as though i'd missed something by paying attention to the other. . . Great finish, showing the power and class of the band (Music of the spheres). 2nd/3rd perhaps for me. . but a great show.

Brighouse - and Mr Evans back in the hot seat. Another band sticking to the Formula that served so well. Big rock opener, great Kit work at the back made it groove. Lovely Euph rendition of Mucushla (Sp?), classy. Good march and probably the best on the day, although it didn't quite have all the usual swagger. . Here we go - Comedy time! Bass Feature and Shaun Crowther up to bat, he's a star and he doesn't have to playing high and fast to prove it, winding Frank up while he's doing the intro, posing for photo's with the camera man, Tiger Rag - some awful noises from the end of his tuba - has a go on Trombone, and then Slings it (and if you missed it I mean THROWS it) down onto the stage, this was shock tactics in the extreme (I'm presuming it was a cheap £80 indian model, god, I hope it was!), to the other side of the stage, pinches a cornet from the back row and it too goes into the auditorium with force, Some of the world's most ridiculus circular breathing and a foot through the bass drum skin and it was all over - Dicky shouting at him for damaging the cornet. . .And PLC (enchanted/ing forest) to close, quality playing and a great program. My winners on the day.

Fairies - I wonder if the flack they took last year disheartend them a little we were waiting for the big entry, what was this years idea, sitting and playing, and as well as they did it we were dissapointed not to be treated to another side splittng show like last year. Maynard opening was a bit clever (another appearance of a player who just came back at the end for a bow!). Another band to "borrow" from last years contest Libertango, nice style, neat. A rather silly Anything you can do I can do better (Annie get your Gun) rewarded us with a winner to the contest and he got to play the solo! Euph solo, was excellent, mutliphonics etc, new, modern well played, strangely having not got into some of the other newer numbers on the day, I liked this a lot. Big Finish. 5th/6th - like so many bands nothing to complain about but nothing that really grabbed me either. . .

Grimethorpe - Out went the lights, on went the pit helmets, and off went Danny Boy - emmoitve stuff, and no need to start with a slap in the face to get the attention! Michael Dodds on Euph was Awesome, fantastic playing and he looks so unasumming stage (there were several soloists that seem to strutt and say look at me I'm the star, But Mr. Dodds semaed to say, listen to me, that's what i'm here for!). ABBA -we were lost for words - MD singing from the middle, 4 tuba's dancing at he side of the stage (mock heart attack included!), I'm not sure how it worked, it was too cheesy but you appreiciated the effort from everyone opening themselves up for ridicule - they were great! And the finale - Organ Symphony, no one held much back - fantastic end to the day. good but not a great for me. . .

So i'd have gone

B&R
Fountain City
Fodens
Reg Vardy
Grimey
Cory
Carlton Main

So to those who didn't do that well, I'm sorry I wasn't in the box! But it's all about opinions I find it very hard picking programs for entertainment contests, every band had great moments but only one or two put together a programme that worked all the way through. I obviously didn't have a score so could'nt really comment on how well everyone played what they'd chosen. Just my thoughts .As has been said already on this tread, Didn't seam to be as much invention and sticking the neck out as last year, is it the threat of not being invited that means bands are sticking to "the formula" more? I hope not, I don't want to go next year and see 12 limited versions of Opener, Quiet Number, Solo, Tricky Number, Comedy, Finsher. . .

I really hate it when people who've not been at a contest start passing opinions on the result!

:wink:

mxb59307

Re. ploughboys review - very well written and informative. You don't fancy covering all the major contests do you - much more balanced opinions and less bias than 4br!

ploughboy

I don't think "her indoors" would be too pleased! 11 bands on the day was her limit!!

Philip - I wouldn't presume to comment on something I hadn't seen. I would also stand behind the adjudicators decision, they are the men tasked with the job, I always tell my band at contest time, it's up to them, we'll do our work and they'll make their decision. Sometimes we agree sometimes we don't!

iancwilx

I don't think "her indoors" would be too pleased! 11 bands on the day was her limit!!

Philip - I wouldn't presume to comment on something I hadn't seen. I would also stand behind the adjudicators decision, they are the men tasked with the job, I always tell my band at contest time, it's up to them, we'll do our work and they'll make their decision. Sometimes we agree sometimes we don't!

You did a good job. Don't let any sanctimonious sourpusses put you down.

I wouldn't mind a few more unbiased audience opinions being posted.

It makes interesting reading to get another aspect.

Whatever is said, the adjudicators decision is the one that counts, and that is as it should be, but I find another view on the performances adds a little extra edge to the general discussion.
More please.
( I can almost hear the SP fraternity gnashing their teeth as they reach for their keyboard !)

- Mr Wilx

Chris Hicks

Ah ploughboy sorry about that.....
No your hotel sounds a dream compared to ours, the George Washington, in Washington. Was kept awake getting to sleep around midnight, the noise didn't actually stop all night and i was woken up at most hours, all topped with beds having what sounded like incontence sheets so they were uncomfortble and very noisey! Not ideal!

Lauradoll

Did anyone see new Reg Vardy member Mark NIGHTINGALE on the Paul O'Grady Show on channel 4 tonight. What a fine player he is!!

Anglo Music Press

Sorry Garry, this was supposed to be a 'reverse compliment' to the fantastic thoroughness of your post! I wasn't criticising at all! Perhaps the sort of humour that doesn't come across in print.

I'll get me coat!

Product tMP members are discussing