Paddy's Brass in Concert '09

brassneck

Interesting to see Mark Nightingale signed and playing as soloist for Reg Vardy today. Superb (and very much in demand) pro jazz trom player, but this was an eye-opener for me! I wonder if this was the first time he has played as a registered bander? I thought his career route went via NYJO (the National Youth Jazz Orchestra)?

towse1972

Interesting to see Mark Nightingale signed and playing as soloist for Reg Vardy today. Superb (and very much in demand) pro jazz trom player, but this was an eye-opener for me! I wonder if this was the first time he has played as a registered bander? I thought his career route went via NYJO (the National Youth Jazz Orchestra)?

I hope it's a long term move for him. Well done Reg Vardy. :clap:

Jack

what do the slash things mean on 4barsrest like the 198/54?

and what does it mean by the cory comment?

brassneck

I hope it's a long term move for him. Well done Reg Vardy. :clap:

It might be a precedent for signing dedicated professionals to showcase certain styles of music (... Sandoval to "guest" with Cory next year? :rolleyes:). Anyhow, good result for them. Well done to Fodens as winners.

brassneck

Surely not! ;)

I'm actually pleased that someone of his stature has crossed over to banding. I met him a few years ago and we chatted how trombone players such as Jiggs Whigham have used bands to futher promote their playing. Even back then, I was politely surprised that he began guest spots with bands. Maybe James Morrison convinced him more?

ploughboy

Mark Knightingale clearly isn't turning to the bandinf world, Reg Vardy played 4 troms, and the solo trom stood at the back doing nothing during the solo. and then Mark stood at the side whilst they performed they're from memory finale. It was a new concept to me bringing in a pro to play the stand up solo. . . wonder if he's gonna moan about he adjudicators decision. . . . .

Chris Hicks

They weren't the only one to bring in a pro though, as i understand "rothwell's" singer, was signed up to sing and then played some tamborine later in the programme, the people around me said she'd done a concert in brighouse before and wasn't a brass player!

Benyboy

Mark Knightingale clearly isn't turning to the bandinf world, Reg Vardy played 4 troms, and the solo trom stood at the back doing nothing during the solo. and then Mark stood at the side whilst they performed they're from memory finale. It was a new concept to me bringing in a pro to play the stand up solo. . . wonder if he's gonna moan about he adjudicators decision. . . . .

Not sure what all the fuss is about. We have a long standing association with Mark as we did a CD "Cool" with him a few years ago. Im sure there were many "pro" players playing for bands yesterday.

I think you will find I did play during the solo. I also played the solos in Minuano and Hunting Wabbits. I think you will also find that we never "moan" when we get a bad result. We just get on with it. Shame some other bands dont do the same!

Chris Bentham
Solo Trom
Reg Vardy (for the last 23 years)

tsawyer

They weren't the only one to bring in a pro though, as i understand "rothwell's" singer, was signed up to sing and then played some tamborine later in the programme, the people around me said she'd done a concert in brighouse before and wasn't a brass player!

I'm not a brass player either, I hit stuff.

Lucy's sister used to play baritone with the band before going off to Uni, and Lucy sang on our Christmas CD back in 2005. We've done a few concerts with her before.

Tim Sawyer
Percussion
Rothwell Temperance Band (for the last 15 years and for a bit when I was 10)

jockinafrock

A great contest yesterday - although far too long a day...!

Some great stuff showcased, though not as good as last year IMO. Chuffed to bits that Fodens came up trumps! :woo

I know that lots of thought, effort and time went into this programme, as I'm sure was the case with all the other bands
- well done folks! :clap:

rosolino

Was Jim Gourlay singed by Grimethorpe for his singing talent in Super Trouper?

Conductors have played during the performances at recent BIC's. Do they have to be signed? Just curious.

Product tMP members are discussing