15. Rothwell Temperance, David Roberts, 14
16. Pemberton Old DW, Mark Bentham, 15
17. EYMS, Alan Morrison, 6
18. Woodfalls, Gareth Pritchard, 8
19. Thoresby Colliery, Philip Harper, 1
20. Zone One, Richard Ward, 9

Best Instrumentalist: Glen Van Looy (euphonium) - Beaumaris

brassneck

yes, it seems this was a better day for my fellow countrymen than a couple of weeks ago in Birmingham ;)

Jan, he deserves his (as you probably know already!). I wonder if Luc recognised his playing from the box?

[youtube]HwUufciSUw8[/youtube]

Just arrived home after great day at Albert Hall. Fully agree with David Read when he said well done to all 20 bands. Everyone gave their best on a superb piece(thanks PLC). Brighouse so well deserved winners, Dave King extracted every piece of music and emotion out of his players. I thought Flowers were unlucky not be higher, another excellent reading.
It was great to see so many young players playing to this high standard. The future of the Brass Band movement is very safe in the hands of these young people.

brassbandmaestro

Just arrived home after great day at Albert Hall. Fully agree with David Read when he said well done to all 20 bands. Everyone gave their best on a superb piece(thanks PLC). Brighouse so well deserved winners, Dave King extracted every piece of music and emotion out of his players. I thought Flowers were unlucky not be higher, another excellent reading.
It was great to see so many young players playing to this high standard. The future of the Brass Band movement is very safe in the hands of these young people.

We cannot take this for grante though!!

I will get to RAH!! Its been too long!!

JimboFB

Wow, just heard Flowers performance, stunning stuff!. The competition must have been excellent. Maybe next year eh :)

Thanks!!! We thought we had played well, and from the reaction of the crowd - that seemed so, never heard any reaction quite like it! To be honest, we're not the most glamorous band around, so certainly dont have any rent a crowd types in, so when you get a reaction like that, you know you must have played well!

General consensus was that the piece was excellent and a real test - EVEN a bass trom solo! Dont get many of them around!!!

Cracking weekend in the big smoke - congrats to Brighouse!

critic

Thanks!!! We thought we had played well, and from the reaction of the crowd - that seemed so, never heard any reaction quite like it! To be honest, we're not the most glamorous band around, so certainly dont have any rent a crowd types in, so when you get a reaction like that, you know you must have played well!

General consensus was that the piece was excellent and a real test - EVEN a bass trom solo! Dont get many of them around!!!

Cracking weekend in the big smoke - congrats to Brighouse!
I To was impressed with Flowers and also Hepworth a real good contest on a most difficult piece and credit to all the bands on a exitingcontest

Cochyn

Well done to Beaumaris, fantastic result that put the predictions to shame. Congrats to Glen, superb player! :tup

critic

Congratulations to all the bands or in order . After hearing All but two of the twenty bands appoligies to Woodfalls and RegVardy it was to every ones credit that they all contributed to a ecxellent contest.As the adjudicators said no one came out unscathed but the quality of the cadenza playing was overall very good. The music was a difficult test and there was not one bad performance which is a testomony to all concerned. The audience cerainly enjoyed the music and after all tha is what counts.
Looking at the results overall i felt they were a fair refelection of the day. The all day was most enjoyable and a pleasure to be there.

Thirteen Ball

So a virtual tenner each way on Faireys (at the 16/1 I got in at) wins me...... £53.33?

I think I'm still in profit on paddy's threads so far......

Laserbeam bass

So a virtual tenner each way on Faireys (at the 16/1 I got in at) wins me...... £53.33?

Your £10 on an e/w bet at 16/1 based on four places at 1/4 odds would win you £50.00, but as this is a non handicap event, your place terms would be 3 places at 1/5 odds, which would retun you the princely sum of £42.00.

This is worked out as follows
16/5 = 3.2 X Stake of £10 = £32 plus stake back of £10 = £42.00
Or more simply 3.2 + 1 = 4.2 X 10 = £42.00

I think your fraction of the odds got confused with the number of places, as you appear have made a similar calculation to mine, but did 16/3 but forgot to add the winning half of your stake back on which would give you £63.33

If you need anymore help settling bets, please give me a shout ;)

Thirteen Ball

Jeez. Now I know why I stay out of the bookies when it comes to real money.

So that makes me £32 up after I factor in the tenner I lost each way on Rothwell. Still think I'm in a small profit on paddy pounds overall. I don't bet often but I've properly spanked him once or twice. Correct tri-cast of the top three at th'albert in 2009 netted me a good few virtual pounds. Predicted city of bradford winning their section at wilkinsons 2010 off the least fancied price in the contest (though I must admit, inside info on the quality of band they'd welded together helped there). I'm probably still a few quid up even after the odd tenner here and there I tend to throw on at some contests.....

Laserbeam bass

Jeez. Now I know why I stay out of the bookies when it comes to real money.

So that makes me £32 up after I factor in the tenner I lost each way on Rothwell. Still think I'm in a small profit on paddy pounds overall. I don't bet often but I've properly spanked him once or twice. Correct tri-cast of the top three at th'albert in 2009 netted me a good few virtual pounds. Predicted city of bradford winning their section at wilkinsons 2010 off the least fancied price in the contest (though I must admit, inside info on the quality of band they'd welded together helped there). I'm probably still a few quid up even after the odd tenner here and there I tend to throw on at some contests.....

Hmm, with talk like that Paddy may well restrict you to a £5 E/W or £5 Win £2.50 place ;)

Thirteen Ball

Now now, what he doesn't know about Yorkshire won't hurt him.... much..... ;)

Anyway, their form and quality is now public knowledge. Think I got about 18-1 or something daft though.

Laserbeam bass

Now now, what he doesn't know about Yorkshire won't hurt him.... much..... ;)

Anyway, their form and quality is now public knowledge. Think I got about 18-1 or something daft though.

No but what you know might!

Congrats on the win, but remember Gambling is the root of all evil, and pays my bills*

* This is because I work for a bookmaker, and am not condoning excessive gambling.