Pad Hogs

bigmamabadger

What's the general consensus about people (who shall remain nameless) who hog the pads, take them home, then are either late or don't turn up at all, leaving the band with no means of playing anything properly? Not talking about the odd unavoidable mishap, but on a regular basis it's unnacceptable.

Personally I'd have them stuffed into a bass case and sent down the river. :evil:

This is a semi-serious rant, it's rude and inconvenient; particularly since in my experience it's the top end of the section who are more likely to do it.

Is there an excuse?
bmb

michellegarbutt

Supporting Member
My last band had a system that seemed to work quite well. When concert pads were put up no one was allowed to take them home. They all stayed in the bandroom so any guest players always had a part to play. If you wanted to take any part home to practise you had to see the librarian who would then issue you with a duplicate part to take home.

P.S. I would like to congratulate the baritone player with 5 Rivers on the state of his pad. I have helped them out with several jobs this year and everytime I turn up there is always an imaculate pad. Never a piece missing and everything is always in order. Thanks Aubrey :hammer

Trom41821

That's one of the reasons our quintet was formed. That and band politics, kangaroo courts, not helping to set up and tidy away and general bitchiness.

I am responsible for me, my music, my instruments, my stand and anything else I'm asked to assit with.

The last time I belonged to a full band was 1989 but the memeories are still there.

Here endeth the first lesson :!: :wink:

markyboy

I think those last comments were just a little on the the harsh side (OMHO)!
Perhaps BMG has just had a recent experience of a pad not being available through somebody's lack of thaught, (and they have got a fair point to make!)
What we need to do is take on board the comments made, and look at how we can all make our Bands run smoother, by relating on our own system of making sure that music is always available for the band at practice, and/or when a guest player is helping out.
Hopefully others will now contribute and tell us their ideas how this problem can be avoided in future.
Bitchiness? Kangeroo court? I dont see any of that, just somebody letting off a bit steam which we all need to do at times.
As much as we all love banding, there are times when frustration can get the better of us , and other people offering a possible solution is often greatly received.

Trom41821

I seem to have been missunderstood, or perhaps it was my explanation. The bitchiness and Kangaroo Court were some of my experiences many years ago. It was not aimed at the person who created the first posting.

I hope I've cleared that one up

:)

Roger Thorne

Glad that one's sorted folks.

I arrived at rehearsal last week to find 4 Euphonium players (including a guest) and one pad. :shock: Our second Euph player is holidaying in the USA and has left her pad at home for the fortnight. I'm sure we'll cope at the concert on Saturday! :?

:wink:

Cornishwomble

We all have a pad each, I don't think that restricting acess to pads and not letting people take them home is the way ahead. It doesn't allow people the chance to practice at home.

WhatSharp?

It is very difficult. On the one hand you want to take your music home to practice, on the other the pad should stay at the band room for people to play. I think the only thing you can do is enforce the rule that if your not going to be at rehearsal don't take your pad or make sure it's there!.

Making duplicate copies of music can be time consuming and expensive especially when you have 28 players all wanting to take home their part to practice before the areas (about the only time anyone does :D ).

It would be interesting to see how other bands cope.

McEuphie

I feel compelled to join in the fight to have music available for rehearsal. The only real solution is to keep the music in the band room.
This is a difficult rule to enforce because people will always want to practice something or other and the only way round this is to have extra copies.
I play solo euph and have been compiling a "3rd" Euph folder to cover all bases (we quite often have 3 Euphs and sharing parts isn't always easy!).

Another advantage of keeping the music in the bandroom is that it is less likely to get lost.

Any other solutions most welcome!

Cornishwomble

I really feel strongly about having you own pad of music that you can take home. I recently joined Chichester band and as it plays to a good 1st section standard the music was quite difficult to play when looking at it for the first time.
For the first 6 weeks I was there, I had no pad of my own had to borrow one now and then which was hard as the other members of the front row took their's home to practice every week.
I really found it difficult to get up to speed and it's only since I've been given a pad of my own that I've been able to really work on the music.
In a good standard of band a lot of "own time" practice needs to be done and this can only be achieved if people have their own pads.

bladder

Roy Taylor said:
For the first 6 weeks I was there, I had no pad of my own had to borrow one now and then which was hard as the other members of the front row took their's home to practice every week.

I think the Librarian's after you Roy! Did you hand in your pad Tuesday? No, oh dear! Nice knowing you....

(Back on topic (BOT)) In our band you have to take your pad home, unless you wish to attract the wrath of the librarian, who doesn't want to carry the pads back an' forth, quite understandable really. Personally, I think it's a real pain having to carry the pad around, and trying not to forget it on rehearsal nights!! It was good when Roy borrowed my pad, it got brought to rehearsals for me and sorted into order, although I think Roy alphabet is slightly different to mine.
While I'm whinging, I hate 'dep'ing for someone who's lefthanded, their pad's the wrong way round, a confounded nuisance! Also, I prefer the pieces numbered, top right, much easier and quicker to find than looking at titles that may be alphabetical, is it under 'the' or 'a' for example. Don't get me started on the ring-binder type pads with the clear plastic leaves... :evil:

Cornishwomble

I did hand my pad! I did it at the last Selsey gig
And theres nothing wrong with being lefthanded my Mum says its a sign of being special!

Roger Thorne

bladder said:
While I'm whinging, I hate 'dep'ing for someone who's lefthanded, their pad's the wrong way round, a confounded nuisance!
Careful - apparently one of the Moderator's on tMP is left-handed!

Naomi McFadyen

i depped for a band several weeks ago... the lad who usually drums for the band I helped went away for 3 weeks on holiday... and was the pack left in the bandroom? Noooo...
I had to blag through most of the music, and followed cornet parts during the rehearsal- purely so I stopped at the right time ;-)
Luckily I knew some of pieces anyway, but that wasnt the point...
the band felt embarrassed because there was hardly any music for me to play... I wasnt too bothered... 3rd section band stuff is alright... it's the championship section stuff that I need the music too most of the time!

:lol: :wink:

PeterBale

Staff member
Roger Thorne said:
Careful - apparently one of the Moderator's on tMP is left-handed!

So, apparently are a disproportionate number of geniuses and lunatics - you pays yer money and you takes yer pick :!:

Meanwhile, back on-topic, having a large instrument and no means of transport, if I am doing any extra practising it is likely to be in the bandroom anyway, but I would go along with those who have said how frustrating it is when there is no music available in band practice.

When I have taken anything away to look at, I have always ensured it is a spare copy, as anything could happen to prevent you getting to practice, and they may want someone else to cover the part.

picju96

But what happens when your band doesn't have a band room in which to keep spare music? I haven't been to band for a month, (going tonight, wuhoo!) but gave my music (and jacket) to the person sitting next to me to look after, so she can give it to the player taking my part whilst I'm away. Or, I'd give it to either the librarian, the MD, or the band manager, who has a habit of losing music, so it's not often I give it to him. Tonight I'll get it back to take home again to practice. It's a system that works well in principle, the only problem is when people have to miss rehearsals at the last minute and can't get the pad to band.

we have our own music folder which you can take away to practice but if you know you will not make a rehearsal or a gig then you have to leave it for the person filling in for you. Our music is numbered in the right hand corner makes finding a piece so much easier.

bigmamabadger

Trom41821 said:
I seem to have been missunderstood, or perhaps it was my explanation. The bitchiness and Kangaroo Court were some of my experiences many years ago. It was not aimed at the person who created the first posting.

I hope I've cleared that one up

:)
Indeed you have. Maybe I'm missing something but I didn't ever think it was aimed at me... :?

I don't mind which system is in place, but at our band I think we're not really supposed to take pads away except by arrangement and not at all if you're going to be late or absent. Some people just take advantage.

I'll tell you this much, I may have missed banding over the last 10 years but I really haven't missed band politics. Ho hum. :roll:

BMB. Which stands for Big Mama Badger, not BMG which could well stand for Big Mama Giraffe, which I am not. :lol:

Andy_Euph

michellegarbutt said:
P.S. I would like to congratulate the baritone player with 5 Rivers on the state of his pad. I have helped them out with several jobs this year and everytime I turn up there is always an imaculate pad. Never a piece missing and everything is always in order. Thanks Aubrey

:D Yeah Aubrey's pad is always tidy and its easy to find, unlike when you have to play with the trombones, think they must have bypassed there ABC's