Ow!.....It stung me!....

meandmycornet

Active Member
I got stung on the nose whilst waiting for a bus with a friend a few years ago.... I can't remember whether it was a wasp or a bee... but it hurt quite a bit and i had a nice red lump on my nose for a few days.... very attractive it was too!
 

drummergurl

Active Member
im scared of being stung! ive never been stung, and i don't ever want to be stung either!
i run away and go really girly whenever a wasp or a bee comes near me! my big bro is the same (except he's been stung and was allergic to it, so it swelled up dead big), and my mum tells us off for being wimps.
 

Anno Draconis

Well-Known Member
Never been stung by a wasp (or a bee); this is possibly due to the kill-on-sight policy I have for wasps.

I have been stung by a jellyfish, a small Portugese Man'o'war, while I was swimming in the med. That hurt. A lot. The tentacles hook into the skin releasing venom and small electric shocks (apparently), and often the jellyfish simply sheds the tentacles, leaving them embedded in the skin. Stinkin' holiday that was. 23 years ago and I stll have a tiny scar on my arm.

I was also stung repeatedly by the barman at Pontins last year :mad:
 

bigmamabadger

Active Member
Put vinegar on the stings. Doesn't help if you're allergic, but otherwise it can take the swelling down and give some pain relief.
BMB
xx
 

bigmamabadger

Active Member
Anno Draconis said:
23 years ago and I stll have a tiny scar on my arm.
Only a tiny one? How depressing. Really you need a whacking great big one to go with a story like that. You want people to notice it so you can casually say "That? Oh yes I was stung by a Portugese Man o War. I wrestled it into submission and swam 300 miles back to safety, fending off sharks and giant squid all the way. It was nothing really". :rolleyes:
BMB
xx
 

Anno Draconis

Well-Known Member
bigmamabadger said:
Only a tiny one? How depressing. Really you need a whacking great big one to go with a story like that.

Hmm. A whacking great big scar would require a whacking big man'o'war, and they can kill people :eek: , especially weedy ten-year-olds (as I was at the time). A small one hurt quite enough thanks. And I'm not convinced you can wrestle with them :tongue: .

Also I have committed the schoolboy error of describing it as a jellyfish when in reality, as eny fule kno, it's a siphonophore - a floating colony of four kinds of polyp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_man_of_war
 

brassneck

Active Member
I was stung on the neck by a hornet once ... didn't take long before a large lump appeared on my neck but I survived to tell this story! ;)

Unlike bees, the poison of wasps and hornets is not intended for use against vertebrates (like us) alone. Bees are nectar collecting animals, but wasps and hornets are hunters of insect prey. With several kilograms of honey in an average bees nest, the primary role of the bee sting is to defend the colony against sweet-toothed attackers, ranging from the mouse through badgers to brown bears and humans.

http://www.vespa-crabro.de/hornets.htm
 

bigmamabadger

Active Member
According to the wonderful New Scientist publication "Does Anything Eat Wasps", badgers do in fact eat wasps. We don't like them as much as we like honey though. I am definitely a sweet-toothed attacker...
BMB
xx
 

Product tMP members are discussing

Top