Over Censorship

Fred

Having been visiting this forum for a while and having been really enjoying the recent debate regarding the Masters, I decided today it was about time I actually dipped my toe in the water, with a view to starting out by not being quite as deathly serious as some of the forum members.

Wham bam, thank you mam - my first post must have lasted about 10 mins before being removed by the moderator SQ.

I was responding to a post my made by Glen Miler (which should have two L's by the way, unless you're some top notch 1600m runner from up there in Lancashire)

His final comment had a dig at Leyland about being able to get deps for the Area, which I thought was funny. I said so & added gags about Kingy playing Euph, or borrowing from Hepworth for Cambridge (as they're always on about not being able to play there) etc.

Now, of course the boys from Leyland wouldn't see it the same way and within minutes, Brassbones had dived in to give Glen a piece of what for, which is only right & proper. No doubt I may well have caught some myself, although I'd have thought that it was obvious that there was no malice intended, just simple banter.

The point is that the likes of Leyland, Hepworth etc. who may get ribbed on here from time to time, are quite brilliantly represented & defended by the likes of Brassbones, the tuba playing Evil Lord from Star Wars, Well Worth It, Impycornet et al.

Whilst I totally agree that the this site needs to be moderated (we all know what happened with the Delphi forum), I wonder if some moderators need to be careful not to be over sensitive.

Now when saying this, I should make it clear that I do realise not everyone here can be in the same league as No.1 MOD, Peter Bale - the Guv'nor!

This lead me to thinking that maybe there should be a new room created. A grown ups only type place, where only people with a particular (some would say peculiar) sense of humour post & where people who are easily offended do not waste their time. I'm not suggesting for one minute that the room be uncensored in any way or that the same tmp rules wouldn't still apply - no malice, inflammatory / defamatory remarks etc. Simply a place for less sensitive types to enjoy some banter.

Before people reply by banging on about this type of thing causing trouble, or anonymous members etc. - I am quite clearly stating that the usual impeccable tmp standards should be applied, simply in an environment where people not quite as sensitive as others can enjoy a laugh without upsetting anyone.

As for anonymous members, it's very easy to tell within a few posts, if the person is genuine, intelligent, or winding people up for the sake of it etc & at the end of the day, you can always chose to simply ignore the person, the way we all have to in all other walks of life.

Viva la banter!

Lauradoll

Right Said Fred!!!! :D :D

I had a post removed cos I said Boo Hiss Down With the English on the St Georges day topic ages ago and got told to stop being offensive! It was clearly a laugh and for a bit of banter. I'm not a troublemaker, just like a laugh! :D :wink: :D

ScrapingtheBottom

Somethings might be offensive to certain people - the mods have to take that into account. It is very easy for "jokes" to be taken the wrong way on such an unemotive medium as a messageboard (there are numerous examples on this site alone). I'd say the mods get it right most of the time.

PS Laura - if I posted an anti-scottish post on St Andrews day, I wouldn't be suprised if some people might take offense at it. St Georges day is as close as we get to an English national day - taking that into account, some people might have found your posting disrespectful.

PeterBale

Staff member
It is often difficult to decide when and how to intervene if a posting seems inappropriate, and I'm not saying we always get the balance right. Having said that, I personally feel we should always err on the side of caution.

Also, an intervention is not always beause of the actual wording used being offensive, but rather because of the likelihood of it encouraging inappropriate posts from other people. Equally, decisions are not always taken instantly, hence the occasional post or whole topic diappearing for a period while it is under discussion before being placed back on the forum.

Bones

ScrapingtheBottom said:
Somethings might be offensive to certain people - the mods have to take that into account. It is very easy for "jokes" to be taken the wrong way on such an unemotive medium as a messageboard (there are numerous examples on this site alone). I'd say the mods get it right most of the time.

PS Laura - if I posted an anti-scottish post on St Andrews day, I wouldn't be suprised if some people might take offense at it. St Georges day is as close as we get to an English national day - taking that into account, some people might have found your posting disrespectful.

If you knew Laura, you'd realise the only bit of her that is nationalistic is her ability to drink like a glaswegian docker. That and the tartan baritone. :lol:

lynchie

Fred said:
This lead me to thinking that maybe there should be a new room created. A grown ups only type place, where only people with a particular (some would say peculiar) sense of humour post & where people who are easily offended do not waste their time.

The easy way for you to do this would be to set up your own forum of course, with your own rules...

ScrapingtheBottom

Bones said:
If you knew Laura, you'd realise the only bit of her that is nationalistic is her ability to drink like a glaswegian docker. That and the tartan baritone. :lol:

But I don't - I think that's the point... :?

Fred how right you are:

My comment that Leyland managed to find deps for the area rather than the masters, implying they didn't take one as seriously as the other even when defending their title has been been deleted.

I notice that the over sensitive response to my comment is still there though.

But hey i'm big enough to take a bit of flak.

Bones

ScrapingtheBottom said:
Bones said:

But I don't - I think that's the point... :?

I know. Hence the reason that if we had a warts and all forum, then is would get abused in some way, cos you would end up upsetting someone.

So stick to what we have, accept the moderation which is meant in good faith, and if it isn't to some people's tastes then start your own.

Cheers all

Rich

ScrapingtheBottom

Bones said:
I know. Hence the reason that if we had a warts and all forum, then is would get abused in some way, cos you would end up upsetting someone.

So stick to what we have, accept the moderation which is meant in good faith, and if it isn't to some people's tastes then start your own.

Cheers all

Rich

Exactly.

Sellers_Bird

I agree with Fred... many of my posts have been deleted because i have been *offensive* I think the rules should start with the people posting, if they cant take a bit of banter, and the fact that other people will *NOT* have the same opinions as themselves, then they should refrain from posting.Surely everything on here is posted to have a reply of some sort? Bring on the banter! 8)

Keppler

Staff member
Time for a reality check here methinks...
Unfortunately, it's not possible to please all of the people all of the time. Us mods do our best on behalf of John, who has provided us all with a means and oppertunity to interact with each other to both have (hopefully) stimulating discussion, and "a bit of a laugh"

It's very easy to say, "one form, one set of rules", but that sounds a lot like something being currently discussed in another thread.

One of the tenents of tMP is that we encourage any member to contact any of the team if there's any matter you're unsure of, unhappy with etc. We're not existing in isolation. We don't take vindictive pleasure in "smiting the plebians". We do work very hard and spend a lot of time discussing relevant issues, and we do have a set of guidelines to work to. These guidelines are reasonably mature at this stage, having evolved through 19 months of intense tMP experience. We also operate as a team on all matters - i.e. there are no rogue mavericks among us.

Sorry to go on a bit, but the point is that part of the mods job, as Peter has mentioned, is to evaluate the potential impact of comments, as well as the comment itself. Sometimes, this can be quite subtle, and thus not immediately obvious.

However, at the end of the day, we're giving our time and (in John's case) money to provide a free service, which, certainly in my (slighty biased perhaps) opinion is second to none both in it's current state, and in it's potential realisation.

We don't want to see people disillusioned with tMP for whatever reason. We're not ogres. Talk to us. We usually have logical reasons behind our madness..

Kepps

super_sop

Supporting Member
ScrapingtheBottom said:
Bones said:

Cheers all

Rich

Exactly.
well said

keep up the good work mods, this friendly fun forum we have here is good as it is. i dont think we need a worts and all forum.

Will the Sec

I can give you a direct example of where what one person will find hilarious might well be distressing to another.

Some people might have noticed that the hilarious thread about the sop player's head exploding slid suddenly into eighth position and was never seen again.

The reason?

On 4barsrest, a sop player had written in for suggestions about when he should start playing again after a brain aneurysm.

Having been in a serious relationship with someone who suffered from the same thing, (and was one of the few people to live to talk about how the aneurysm felt) the thread touched a nerve with me.

That said, if it wasn't for the message on 4barsrest, I'd have simply steered clear of that thread.

What I didn't want, and the mods agreed with me, was that the gentleman concerned might see a lot of laughter in a thread dealing with a brain injury, if not the same as his. That would undoubtedly have been distressing, and depending on the length of time since his operation, could have been palpably dangerous.

So, in order to answer my concerns, and to ensure that someone who is not even registered with tMP was not upset, the mods agreed to pull the thread.

The needs of two against the many hundreds of people who had read the thread and no doubt screamed with laughter.

Being the mods is not an easy job - I applaud them for their efforts.

JessopSmythe

This lead me to thinking that maybe there should be a new room created. A grown ups only type place, where only people with a particular (some would say peculiar) sense of humour post & where people who are easily offended do not waste their time. I'm not suggesting for one minute that the room be uncensored in any way or that the same tmp rules wouldn't still apply - no malice, inflammatory / defamatory remarks etc. Simply a place for less sensitive types to enjoy some banter.

Try http://www.jessop-smythe.co.uk/forum/index.php

it does include a couple of "invitation only" forums

fartycat

or try Awag for people who like lower division football but don't want to talk about it too much... :lol:

I run a site myself with a busy messageboard. I know how much work is involved and how difficult it is. From the short time I've been on TMP I can see that the mods do a fine fine job (can I have my £5 now please :eek: )

2nd man down

Staff member
I think the forum is fine just as it is. There are other sites that can be visited for the more broadminded amongst us.

Accidental

Supporting Member
Fred said:
Before people reply by banging on about this type of thing causing trouble, or anonymous members etc... <snip> it's very easy to tell within a few posts, if the person is genuine, intelligent, or winding people up for the sake of it etc...

You're absolutely right Fred, it easy to tell after a while... but it probably takes more than 2 posts for most of us! :wink:

In the meantime, if it ain't broke..... there's a good reason this site is more successful (popular/well used/long lived etc) than most of the other similar band sites were put together. As long as people of all ages and all sensitivities are using this forum then imho we should trust the mods to do the best job they can and appreciate the amount of time they've all given up to keep this site running smoothly for so many people for so long

going to wash the brown off my nose now, lol!!

Lauradoll

Ha ha! Thanks Rich!! Some people canny take jokes, that's just the way life is I reckon. Just in from the pub, discovered bottles of Corona for a bargainous 1 pound twenty9. Canny be faulted. Well can really when there is a full day of school ahead!! :? When u coming to Mancs for the bicep curl sesh?

PS My baritone has changed back to the laquer tint. It still sounds like bagpipes though doll!

Edited in the morning cos I canny spell after several bottles of the said drink!