Over Censorship

I think the mods are cool. I agree that it's really frustrating to see 'edited' on something, especially if it's a topic you started - but I agree more that what one person finds cool is distressing to another.

Well Worth It

Think about the millions of websites available to all corners of the globe on the internet. There are multiple sites dedicated to every single interest/idea/perversion and many that you'd probably rather not think about. :shock:
To think that it's time-effective, trying to get a website to change, to pander to your EXACT needs is daft. You'd be far better off using the 0.46secs it takes to find another site, if this doesn't quite meet your requirements.
I get loads of messages deleted, but just accept that I overstepped the mark and grovel to Dyl, pay Mr Bale and send expensive jewellery to SQ until they forgive me.
Mod on!
:p

Fred

A very interesting mixed bag of responses

It seems very easy to me to distinguish between those people who have a good sense of humour & those who seem a little challenged in that department

I love all the - go and start your own forum, if it ain't broke don't fix it, we don't want a warts & all forum, it probably takes more than two posts for most of us, it's daft to try get a site to pander to your exact needs.

My response being:

i) with the brass band fraternity being such a small family, relatively speaking, I think we're better off all being in the same place & working towards continually developing this fine forum, so that we all feel comfortable to express ourselves & that tmp caters for everyone, irrespective of their sense of humour/lack of it, intellect/lack of it, musical ability/lack of it etc - at this stage, flattering as your suggestion may be for me to start a new forum, I think it's a little early in my career just yet

ii) I didn't say that anything was broken or needed fixing, simply that my initial experience at being moderated seemed a bit over sensitive & that it made me wonder if there might be any merit in including a place here for people of a similar mind - which judging by the responses, there certainly could be

iii) again, at no stage did I even remotely suggest changing to a warts & all forum - I actually said, keep it the way it is - ie 'moderated & with impeccable tmp standards' - but how about including a place somewhere on here designed for people not quite as over sensitive as others - which the sensistive types could simply ignore

iv) for anyone a bit slow on the uptake, who couldn't tell from just the one post that I wasn't trying to cause trouble, but attempting to offer a reasoned & well thought through perspective - don't worry about it or be too hard on yourself - take pride in the fact the both of your moderators who responded, did so in the same reasoned & well thought out manner

iv) I wasn't asking anyone to pander to anything, just simply providing feedback & trying to offer a suggestion which would augment the great stuff already being done on here - which is my understanding of what John & his fine team are looking for & actually encourage

Anyway, Lauradoll - you'll do for me girl!

I thought your 'Right Said Fred!!!!' response was brilliant & I think we may go on to become Banter Buddies (moderators permitting :wink: )

And finally, for those of you that do suffer with a tumour in your humour (it's simply a phrase from a Robbie Wiiliams song, before anyone gets offended by the word humour) - you have my greatest sympathy :D

Lauradoll

Fred said:
A very interesting mixed bag of responses

It seems very easy to me to distinguish between those people who have a good sense of humour & those who seem a little challenged in that department

Ha ha ha like it!!! :D Have to agree I'm afraid! :D

Tuba Miriam

Fred said:

But that's exactly the point, humour is a highly subjective beast; claiming to be able to distinguish between those with a good sense of humour and those without is a little presumptuous, possibly even arrogant. What might seem a 'right laugh' to some readers/posters may seem puerile nonsense, or even offensive, to others equally blessed with well-developed sense of humours.

The main reason I doubt that your idea of an area for like-minded humourists to enjoy would work is because everyone on tMP enjoys all the different 'rooms' tMP has to offer, hence the don't tune in if you don't like it approach wouldn't work. People with a different sense of humour to yourself will browse and are likely to be offended, and for them the tMP experience will be denegrated. On a forum designed to be inclusive you can't create whole areas that are, in effect, exclusive and expect the 'spirit' of tMP to remain intact.

wideiusgrinnius

It s rubbish when something you've put on gets removed without even being notified though. It may have caused offence, it may not have. But since things get removed, no one gets the choice to be offended or find it funny.

Dave Payn

The other problem is that without the variations in tone that you get from hearing speech, some posts, whilst easy to make sound 'joking' when speaking, can quite easily be misconstrued in print (I've fallen for that trap a few times, believe me!)

Jessop-Smythe's Very Silly forum is an ideal place to be a stupid as you like (something I take full advantage of) and is a useful forum to share gags etc. that I know darn well I wouldn't get away with on here and rightly so. This is promoted as a friendly forum largely about brass (give or take the Random Chat and off topic - which is invitation enough to talk about other issues) and call me Mr Brown Noser if you like but I think ALL the mods do a fantastic job (and I've had a few things removed in my time! I freely admit a lot of my 'humour' is vulgarian! I was born and brung up in Sarf East Landan after orl....) in keeping a general sense of order.

After all, it's easy to be antagonistic/rude etc. from the safety of a computer..... ;-)

Lauradoll

I'm just saying that when you're trying to have a laugh it's frowned upon by people who can't take a joke. Not trying to be rude or antagonistic from the safely of my computer. :shock:

ScrapingtheBottom

Fred said:
i) with the brass band fraternity being such a small family, relatively speaking, I think we're better off all being in the same place & working towards continually developing this fine forum, so that we all feel comfortable to express ourselves & that tmp caters for everyone, irrespective of their sense of humour/lack of it, intellect/lack of it, musical ability/lack of it etc - at this stage, flattering as your suggestion may be for me to start a new forum, I think it's a little early in my career just yet

I agree, which is why we need moderation, so that people can feel free to express themselves, without fear of tirades of personal invective, derogatory or discriminatory remarks. Some people might feel intimidated by certain postings and surely this does not lend itself to free expression?

ii) I didn't say that anything was broken or needed fixing, simply that my initial experience at being moderated seemed a bit over sensitive & that it made me wonder if there might be any merit in including a place here for people of a similar mind - which judging by the responses, there certainly could be

Yes, but it is not just the posters that read these forums. tMP has to have a set standard throughout it's site otherwise it becomes unworkably complex.

iii) again, at no stage did I even remotely suggest changing to a warts & all forum - I actually said, keep it the way it is - ie 'moderated & with impeccable tmp standards' - but how about including a place somewhere on here designed for people not quite as over sensitive as others - which the sensistive types could simply ignore

Unfortunately there are massive legal considerations. I know John already spends a small fortune on legal fees, this type of forum that you are suggesting would only increase those fees - which he can't afford.

iv) for anyone a bit slow on the uptake, who couldn't tell from just the one post that I wasn't trying to cause trouble, but attempting to offer a reasoned & well thought through perspective - don't worry about it or be too hard on yourself - take pride in the fact the both of your moderators who responded, did so in the same reasoned & well thought out manner

This is exactly a case in point: You could actually read this paragraph as having a dig at people who disagree with you, by insinuating they lack the intellectual capacity to converse on your level.

iv) I wasn't asking anyone to pander to anything,
just simply providing feedback & trying to offer a suggestion which would augment the great stuff already being done on here - which is my understanding of what John & his fine team are looking for & actually encourage

I'm afraid you seem to have got the wrong end of the stick here. You have started a debate about the nature of the forum. Other individuals have contributed their views to this debate. Some of these views may oppose yours, however in doing so they do not attempt to deny your right to express your opinion, in fact they seek to engage you on it. The whole ethos of tMP surely?

And finally, for those of you that do suffer with a tumour in your humour (it's simply a phrase from a Robbie Wiiliams song, before anyone gets offended by the word humour) - you have my greatest sympathy :D

Again this could be considered offensive. Just because people may not share your particular sense of humour does not mean they are somehow lacking in wit or intellect and thus deserve patronising, however you have insinuated this here.

Please be clear however, that I am merely pointing out what could be considered offensive, not what I personally find offensive.

Dave Payn

Lauradoll said:
I'm just saying that when you're trying to have a laugh it's frowned upon by people who can't take a joke. Not trying to be rude or antagonistic from the safely of my computer. :shock:

I didn't say YOU were! ;-) Most of the wind up merchants that have invaded this forum have gone anyway. There's no one I can think of who contributes regularly now who gets my goat. (I have no goat to give away.... :))

Lauradoll

Dave Payn said:
I didn't say YOU were! ;-) Most of the wind up merchants that have invaded this forum have gone anyway. There's no one I can think of who contributes regularly now who gets my goat. (I have no goat to give away.... :))

Oh there's a few who get mine, but I can restrain myself. I just don't see why posts get removed by known and established contrubutors who have a small sense of humour. People should surely be able to take a joke! We're all grown ups after all :shock:

Lauradoll

neiltwist said:
Lauradoll said:
...People should surely be able to take a joke! We're all grown ups after all :shock:

erm, that's the problem, we're not all grown ups.

Yeah but kiddies should be locked up until they are grown ups, then I could have a permanent holiday!!

(That was a joke in case I offended anyone, especially the kids!!!)
(The holiday bit was totally serious though!!)

flugelgal

I often delete posts before hitting "submit" because I know that someone somewhere could take it the wrong way. When you post on here it's not a private conversation where you can have a laugh and a joke with someone you know well. Other people can see it and form an opinion about you from what you have said.

I often think "would my mother like to see what I wrote?" or "if I had children, would I mind them reading what I posted?". You might not care what other people think of you which is fair enough - it doesn't matter in many ways, however, at some point in the future you might want to ask someone on here for help and they might turn you down because you said something once which got their back right up.

Anyway, by being a member of this forum you are agreeing to abide by the rules which are set there to protect innocent people. I personally think that the Mod team does a fantastic job and I've said that before when other threads like this have popped up.

As they say here "Lang may yer lum reek!" :D

geordiecolin

Interesting thread this....

Firstly, I'll set out my position. I am not very easily offended, you can be as crass, blue or sick as you like and I'll probably find it amusing. However, I pride myself on the fact that in over 1000 posts, i think that less 5 have been modded and 1 of those was because i mentioned a test piece name by mistake...!!

When posting, i think it is important that people show restraint, there have many times when i've read a post and my sense of humour immediately kicks in with what i feel is a funny reply. Often though I have to sit down and think about what i actually want to type so that the meaning of the remark would remain, whilst the possibility of offence is minimised.

Lauradoll mentions "people not being a to take a joke" and this is, I feel the crux of the issue. What Lauradoll, Fred or myself might find amusing other people may simply not even realise is supposed to be amusing. ts less a case of "people not being able to take a joke", more a case of "people not realising that a joke has been made". This is no-ones fault, just a reality of online communication.

A "banter room" whilst an admirable idea in principle, is i feel, impractical and difficult to deliver and would occupy more of the mods time than it my deserve to the detriment of the rest the forum.

So, my lesson to everyone -

1) Be considerate - this works both ways, don't fly off the handle at the merest dig, chill and laugh it off. Equally don't antagonise people without need.....

2) Try very very very hard to spot intended jokes. Jokemakers, make use of this ------> :lol:

3) Think about what you post. Try and keep your post meaning in least misconstruable way.

Colin :D

Dave Payn

geordiecolin said:
Interesting thread this....

Firstly, I'll set out my position. I am not very easily offended, you can be as crass, blue or sick as you like and I'll probably find it amusing. However, I pride myself on the fact that in over 1000 posts, i think that less 5 have been modded and 1 of those was because i mentioned a test piece name by mistake...!!

When posting, i think it is important that people show restraint, there have many times when i've read a post and my sense of humour immediately kicks in with what i feel is a funny reply. Often though I have to sit down and think about what i actually want to type so that the meaning of the remark would remain, whilst the possibility of offence is minimised.

Lauradoll mentions "people not being a to take a joke" and this is, I feel the crux of the issue. What Lauradoll, Fred or myself might find amusing other people may simply not even realise is supposed to be amusing. ts less a case of "people not being able to take a joke", more a case of "people not realising that a joke has been made". This is no-ones fault, just a reality of online communication.

A "banter room" whilst an admirable idea in principle, is i feel, impractical and difficult to deliver and would occupy more of the mods time than it my deserve to the detriment of the rest the forum.

So, my lesson to everyone -

1) Be considerate - this works both ways, don't fly off the handle at the merest dig, chill and laugh it off. Equally don't antagonise people without need.....

2) Try very very very hard to spot intended jokes. Jokemakers, make use of this ------> :lol:

3) Think about what you post. Try and keep your post meaning in least misconstruable way.

Colin :D

What would really have topped this post off is if you'd left a few spaces at the end and then put 'Now **** OFF!'........ with the obligatory smiley afterwards of course.... :) :) :lol:

David Mann

I've been modded! I think for the first time, in the "why did you leave your last band" thread. Just surprised, as I didn't think the post was offensive. I'll admit to it being off topic, though.

Product tMP members are discussing