Our 1st Banned User

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
Hi Everyone

It is so sad that I have had to undertake our 1st 'banning' of a member of theMouthPiece.com - I have banned a member called "unclenorbert"

I have no problem banning this inconsiderate, dishonest and troublesome member and I apologise on behalf of theMouthPiece.com for any posts he has submitted.

Please can I ask everyone to be continually vigilant and to look out for and inform me of this type of disgraceful posting. I have done nothing to offend this person, but they chose not to respect the work, expense & effort I have personally gone through to get theMouthPiece.com off the ground. I once again apologise for any offence they have caused. Please do not let this type of activity discourage you from using theMouthPiece.com - I would be personally upset if I lost ANY member through this type of inapropriate activity.

Some of you are perhaps getting to know me a little by now, and I sincerely appreciate all the messages I have received via e-mail and PM - these really are what gives me the incentive to continue with my 100% commitment to the development of theMouthPiece.com

My sincere and heartfelt thanks to you all.

John

Fishsta

He's been quiet the last couple of days... did I miss something?

Just out of interest, what form does "banning" take? Is a username simply deactivated, or is it more complex than that, like the banning of an IP of a specific configuration?

Roger Thorne

I would like to thank John for taking the time to seriously consider his recent decision in banning the above member.
This was in no way a hasty decision and I feel the correct action has been decided upon and I support him 100%.
John has worked extremely hard to give us this web site and it would be such a loss if we where to lose this fantastic site because of a mindless idiot whose only pleasure in life seems to be posting derogatory remarks about other bands and bandsmen/woman.

Let's forget this unfortunate incident and continue to use this site for what it was originally intended.

:wink:

Fishsta

Now that I've been brought up to speed (by PMs from MusicMan, thanks for them!), and I remember the posts that have resulted in this action, I now understand, and think the correct decision has been made.

It is a tremendous disappointment to me (and to others too, I'm sure) that someone should want to post messages like his so soon into this forum's life.

billbrass

:) I do not know what the banned member has done but well done for your action, people like these are not wanted in the brass band world, keep up the good work the Mouthpiece is the first thing I look at.

good xmas playing may your boxes be overflowing

Billbrass

Wonky_Baton

Banned Nobert

Can you not wipe out all his posts as he seems to be banned in name only?? He also still appears in the contacts for members :(

dyl

Does it really make any difference? He's banned from posting any more lies and nonsense and that's what really matters.

The (really) offensive posts have been removed, let's just forget about him and not let him spoil this forum. I'm sure MusicMan has much better things to do than trawl through all of this loser's posts and delete them.

Fishsta

With MusicMan being the admin and everything, he's obviously better to answer these, but from my experience of moderating forums, I was advised by the board admin not to DELETE posts ever, as it can cause database instability. It was better just to move them into a "limbo" area. This meant users tended not to be deleted as such, just banned and disabled. Users were only deleted when they had NO posts to their name, and hadn't logged in for a few months.

Are his remaining posts that bad?

So there's lies and officiousness in there. Let people see what he was like and the action that was taken against him. No need to cover it up and pretend it never happened.

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
OK here's my rationale...

I had no hesitation in deleting the recent offensive posts from uncle_norbert as they were simply innapropriate not just for theMouthPiece.com, but any forum really. As for his/her earlier posts, well I left them on view whilst I was...

• 1 - asking and waiting for an explanation from him/her
    2 - apologising personally to Beaumaris Band for the incorrect posts

I felt that these should be left on view as they give our visitors at least some indication as to the direction uncle_norbert was heading regarding his/her posts. People can then form their own opinion - which is really one of the values of theMouthPiece.com :D

As for the technicalities re:

1 - deleting his/her posts - this is not too difficult to accomplish as it is easy for any member to find all the posts submitted by any other member - simply go to their user profile, and select 'find all posts from this user'
2 - the technical issues raised by Fishsta - I don't know about this, though I would hope that as 'delet post' is a feature of the software I use, that it would not cause any instability within the DataBase :)

As long my action is understood - that's all I wanted to achieve. :D

Fishsta

re: Technical issues.

This board is phpBB, the one I was a mod for was a VBulletin board (SQL based)

Still, worth considering, MusicMan... at least if you transfer them to a "limbo" area, you can call upon them at any time for reference.

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
Fishsta said:
re: Technical issues.

Still, worth considering, MusicMan... at least if you transfer them to a "limbo" area, you can call upon them at any time for reference.

Agreed... will put in the 'under consideration for development' pot ... :D Thanks.

hornblower

just wanted to thank you for sorting it all out... you always get idiots like that... I work in a IT drop in gallery in my museum... trust me I've seen it , banned it and deleted all types of inappropriate stuff!!!

keep up the great work, it's a great site and it will continue to grow!

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
hornblower said:
just wanted to thank you for sorting it all out... you always get idiots like that... I work in a IT drop in gallery in my museum... trust me I've seen it , banned it and deleted all types of inappropriate stuff!!!

keep up the great work, it's a great site and it will continue to grow!

Hi hornblower...

Many thanks for your kind words.... much appreciated...

John

... and if you don't mind my saying... nice avatar... :oops:

Aidan

I wasnt here when this guy/gal/whatever was, but by the sounds of it they were a waste of forum space anyway, good move

Aidan

I am from North Wales and am friends with many at the Beaumaris band, and have spoken to a few since this post was written, as you can well imagine they weren't happy.

Having played with the band on a few occassions it saddens me that anyone would want to put them down.

Good luck to all of Beaumaris in the areas! I might well be there having a listen to you and Menai Bridge!! :D