Orchestra or Brass Band

James McFadyen

What sound do you like best; Orchestra or Brass Band

As a composer, I studied classical orchestration for Symphony Orchestra and am totally in love with the symphonic colours, just wondered what the rest of you thought.

Personally I love big soundscapes and symphonic sounds and that is why my preference for the Orchestral sound dominates (if only a little) the Brass Band sound. I guess your preference will come from your own background and upbringing and most probably education.

Naomi McFadyen

Mmmm, for me both... both have their differences etc...

BUT, if I had to choose, it'll have to be orchestra due to the hundreds of different colours, textures and sounds that can be produced... Brass Bands don't have the same effect...

:)

Moy

I like beef and I like chicken...same with orchestras and bands.
Depends on how it's served to me and the mood I am in.

MRSH

Supporting Member
Hee-Hee.

Back on topic - Has to be orchestra for me.

There is just nothing quite like the sound of a Mahlerian size orchestra giving their all at the end of Symphony 2 or 3.

Admittedly there are some band sounds that stir my emotions but, with the limited tonal variety available to a band, not as deeply as an orchestra can.

I was brought up in orchestras but have been in banding for 27 years now and probably listen to orchestras twice as much as I do brass bands.

James McFadyen

Quite agree Matt, I think the tonal variations of the orchestra are very wide, not a synth in sight could compare to the colours of a symphony orchestra! And I'm a synth nut! :wink:

Depends what they're playing. i know some orchestral pieces, particularly overtures that work better for band than orchestra. But a good orchestral sound is hard to beat. Mahler 6. Beethoven 9, Rach 3 (symphony), the planets...... the list goes on and on...

Okiedokie of Oz

while I think there are some gorgeous orchestral moments, I would refuse to attend a rehearsal only to practise counting out my 287 bars rest...........stupid orchestral tuba parts :evil:

MRSH

Supporting Member
Roger Thorne said:
If you prefer the sound of an Orchestra, why do you play in a brass band?

:wink:
I'm (also) a percussionist and the percussion parts being written these days in brass band pieces are great (mostly :wink: :wink:).

Anyway, I prefer the sound of an orchestra but that doesn't mean to say I dislike the sound of a brass band.

8)

James McFadyen

Roger Thorne said:
Slightly confused here! :?

If you prefer the sound of an Orchestra, why do you play in a brass band?

:wink:
I first started composing by writing for Orchestra. I was introduced to the brass band and after I left for a few year and went back to play Soprano, I started getting into writing for Brass Band. Plus I'm not into playing in an Orchestra.

I love the Brass Band sound, it is very unqiue, but If I'm faced with listening to a Brass Band CD or an Orchestral CD, I will usually listen to the Orchestral CD. Although tends to be more modern tonal works, especially by Vince Mendoza - an Orchestral composer with fantastic passion in his music. He is quite known for his work with Joni Mitchell.

skweeky

if you like an orchestral sound but play in a rass band its generally because brass banding can be seen as a hobby, whereas i would suspect orchestral "work" is as it is said- work! Orchestral players are normally pro's at playing music, but in the brass band world- if ye can blow, ye cn play we us! and all the time enjoying it!!!!! :lol:

(i speak for myself here. anyone that disagree with this may be in a different situation, or otherwise educated :wink: )