Open Source MIDI Sequencer

horn1

Has anyone ever used a good open source sequencer? I want to replace Cubase at school and haven't a clue what the best plan is. Any ideas??

KMJ Recordings

Supporting Member
Ah.

Was going to suggest Reaper ($40 for the educational full licence).....but if there's no cash at all I, er, shan't bother ;)

I've not really got any experience of full function freeware MIDI stuff, I'm afraid. Or are you looking for audio recording? In which case, it might be worth looking at Audacity

horn1

Mmmm, maybe I can swing $40 is that the full site licence? We've got audacity for audio already. I'll have a look at reaper

thanks!!

rileyelf

If you can set up a Linux machine (or even boot a live distro) you might try Rosegarden, it's a fully functional MIDI sequencer and scoring software very much like Sibelius. It can be a bit of pain to setup as you need to start a couple of services first, one of which needs a synth sound set to be loaded but once set up it's a great bit of software.

RussQ

Mixcraft 5

You can try a fully functioning version of Mixcraft5 from Acoustica. I've been using it for a couple of days. Miles easier to use than Reaper and the sheer array of sounds and user friendliness is astounding. Have a look.