Open errata!

Roger Thorne

I've just spotted this on 4BarsRest!

Open test piece errata update - 12th September
Errata update - 12th September The very last mistake is found and amended!!! Yippppeeee!

VENUS
Bar 17 - Vibraphone. Lower notes should be Ab & F, not Bb & G

JUPITER
Bar 272 - 3rd Cornets. Last quaver should be F, not E

The Contest is TOMORROW!!

:roll:

Darth_Tuba

Roger Thorne said:
The very last mistake is found and amended!!! The Contest is TOMORROW!!

:roll:
If those are the last mistakes I'll eat my part :lol: We had already sorted most of these anyway, as we happen to have someone wagging with a first edition of the orchestral score :wink:

Naomi McFadyen

yes good luck to you all, especially Leyland! (of course...) ;o)
I'll be waiting very impatiently for the results...
see you in a couple of weeks :D

Voldemort

Is this acceptable?

You do get the odd error here and there, but a list of errors this long with todays modern technology just cannot be justified.

Who published this music and how much did it cost?

I think that all bands appearing at the 'Open' tomorrow should at least be given their money back.

2nd September
Bar 341 in Jupiter all the horns should be a tone higher EAD

31st August
More details of changes have been passed to us by Stephen Roberts for the bands to amend. They are as follows...

VENUS
Flugel – 2 before letter D should be C natural, not D (for 2 bars).
Bass Tbn. – bar 87 all crotchets Abb, not Ab
Solo Cnts 3/4 - bar 114 low Bb should be Cb
3rd Cornet – entry after G is one bar too early – shift all 5 bar section one bar right.
In addition add five bars of low pp Eb semibreves starting on the 3rd of G. Tie three semibreves, followed by two tied semibreves.
2nd Cornet – final Eb in bar 135 should enter one bar earlier making three tied Eb semibreves. (i.e. 4 bars rest after G, not 5)
(all bands have received new pages of score & 2nd/3rd cnts for above two corrections)

JUPITER
2nd Cornets – opening figure should start on C not A, then follow pattern CDA etc (not ACD) until 2 before H. Pages 19-22 of score and new page of 2nd cornet part will be sent to each band. (Sorry about this. It's one that got away and may upset 2nd cornet players who have practised it the other way or who have been playing it as written for a while. We could keep it as it was for the last 12 years (!) but I believe it is better to be as accurate to the original as possible)
Solo cornets 1/2 – 1st solo cnt is a tone too high in bars 94-5 (should be acd etc, not bde)
Solo horn/1st Horn – 5th of N – Db not Eb on fff note
Baritone 1 – bar 252 - insert pp middle Gb for 3 tied minims (with hns). New page will be sent out to all bands. For now add 6 bars rest after double bar, play 3 bars of Gb (pp) then 4 bars rest before fff note. Please insert into score by hand. (This is a small enhancement, but is more accurate and I have included it because I am sending out new pages)
Solo cornets 1/2 – 2 before U – delete these notes (BGG) and insert diminuendo in previous bar (as per Flugel part in bar 74)
Glock – bar 355 last two crotchets should be Eb, Fb (as cornets)

b.106 solo cnt. cresc
b.317 mf dynamic missing in Bb Bass
b. 326 baritones mf
8 & 4 bars before U hns mf

I am going to wait a few days, in case any more errata come to light, before sending out new pages. Thanks to all for passing info on. Apologies to all 2nd cornets.

30th August
The arranger of the British Open test piece has confirmed with 4BR the most updated list of errata. They are as follows....

VENUS
Flugel – 2 before letter D should be C natural, not D (for 2 bars)
Bass Tbn. – bar 87 all crotchets Abb, not Ab
Solo Cnts 3/4 - bar 114 low Bb should be Cb
3rd Cornet – entry after G is one bar too early – shift all 5 bar section one bar right.
In addition add five bars of low pp Eb semibreves starting on the 3rd of G. Tie three semibreves, followed by two tied semibreves.
2nd Cornet – final Eb in bar 135 should enter one bar earlier making three tied Eb semibreves. (i.e. 4 bars rest after G, not 5)
(all bands have received new pages of score & 2nd/3rd cnts for above two corrections)

JUPITER
Solo horn/1st Horn – 5th of N – Db not Eb on fff note
Solo cornets 1/2 – 2 before U – delete these notes (BGG) and insert diminuendo in previous bar (as per Flugel part in bar 74)
Glock – bar 355 last two crotchets should be Eb, Fb (as cornets)

b.106 solo cnt. cresc
b. 326 baritones mf

29th August
Bar 87 in Venus Bass Trom should be unison with Eb Bass. Change Ab to Abb.

26th August
In Venus 2 bars before D the Flugel is a tone too high. The D should be a C in bars 72-73.

21st August
Solo cornets 3/4 Venus bar 114 low Bb should be Cb.
Also please check Glock part bar 355 of Jupiter - it should mirror soprano corent line

VENUS JUPITER ERRATA
The arranger of the forthcoming British Open testpiece has fowarded 4BR details of the errata that now need to be checked and corrected by the bands before they get to Birmingham.
He has informed us that every band will get copies of what we have published directly.

Get your pens out then.......

VENUS
3rd Cornet – entry after G is one bar too early – shift all 5 bar section one bar right (to start bar 137 morendo al fine).
In addition add five bars of low pp Eb semibreves starting on the 3rd of G. Tie three semibreves, followed by two tied semibreves. These two long notes will precede the section you have shifted.
So it looks like this;
After rehearsal letter G you have 2 bars rest. Then 3 bars of low held Ebs, followed by 2 bars of low Ebs, then the 5 bar section which is marked morendo al fine. Do not worry if this sounds confusing- you will receive a new page!

It will look like this;
Rehearsal letter G is followed by 4 bars rest, then 3 bars of tied Ebs, then 2 bars of tied Ebs, then 1 bar of Eb.

JUPITER
Solo horn/1st Horn – 5th of N – Db not Eb on fff note (as already emailed)

OTHERS
b.106 solo cnt. cresc
b. 326 baritones mf

Each band will receive copies of page 1 of cornet 3, page 2 of cornet 2, pages 15-18 and 51-52 of score ready to insert if required.
If you have any enquiries please email back.
New pages will be sent out within a few days.

Hope this does not cause too much inconvenience! :shock:

Straightmute

I wonder if the combined forces of tMP could do something about this. After Prague and Planets (and countless others in the past) we ought to apply our minds towards what we can usefully do.

For starters, how about a thread for each of the new area pieces to be announced next week. Can we post any errors we find in score or parts on a new thread? We'd have the opportunity to discuss them here and hopefully ascertain the composers' intentions.

That way (a) we'd be helping each other out and (b) drawing to everyone's attention the magnitude of the problem.

Some publishers are very good and produce accurate work time after time, and with today's technology there are really very few good excuses for such poor products as we have seen lately.

It's sad that I'm assuming that there will be lots of errors again. I hope I'm wrong, whatever the testpieces, but I'm not altogether optimistic...

D