One Mouthpiece, K.I.A.

Jack E

As you may have noticed, it's pretty rare for me to be totally lost for words, but . . .

This mouthpiece is up for sale on Ebay, with a starting price of £19.99 (+ £4.70 postage), and the following description:
"Item is pre-owned, metal has minor rubbing to the plating, couple of small dents to the open end, minor marks, see picture."

Take a peek at the picture below, and see if you can spot the minor omission . . .

Mouthpiece, K.I.A..jpg

I have messaged the seller, pointing this out - I'll let you know if he / she responds.

Jack

Um . . . I dunno; I'd have thought a .357 Mag would go right through . . . so, maybe a .38 Special sub-sonic?
;)
Perhaps further testing is indicated. I sold most of my crappy mouthpieces, but I still have one left. Maybe use a 38 Special +P? If it goes through, then 38 Special would be the likely caliber, if it just dents it, then .357 MAG would be the one, and if the result is duplicated, we have the correct caliber in the +P. In any event, I could still sell it for a lot more than the .99 US starting bid that it could sell for now. Whaddaya think? What's cooler than a custom mouthpiece?

trumpetb

This appears to be a Denis Wick 4AM

However

The shape of the mouthpiece appears subtly incorrect for a Wick

The Words stamped on both my Wick mouthpieces appear as DENIS WICK . LONDON

With a dot stamped between the words WICK and LONDON

I have seen Wick mouthpieces on sale on ebay with the same subtly wrong shape as depicted here and with no dot stamped between WICK and LONDON

I cannot see the words wick and london on the image you provided so I do not know if the dot is present here but the shape of the mouthpiece seems wrong just like the mouthpieces that lack the dot, and it also appears to be made out of zinc and not brass.

Wick makes their mouthpieces out of brass blanks and not a white or grey metal like zinc so this item shown with the hole in it appears to be wrong for a Wick.

I deeply suspect then that there could be a manufacturer in china who is tooled up to manufacture false Wick mouthpieces with the wrong shape and the wrong material and if that is the case this could be one of them.

Members should be aware of this possible deception and take steps to make sure they are not deceived in the future.

Wicks are great mouthpieces, chinese clones of Wicks especially lightweight zinc copies are unlikely to be anything like as good.

What do you think on this.

Vegasbound

No it is an original Wick, Denis changed the designs in the mid 1990’s, original rim design to me is much better, also they became bigger, also the original gold was thin and notorious for coming off revealing the base plating and of course hand stamped

David Broad

Putting a hole in mouthpiece is a good way of stopping a particularly bad player ruining an otherwise OK performance.
It could be the vendor's next door neighbour sneaked in and did it to stop him/her practicing incessantly.
Just needs a hose clip and a bit of plasticine to fix it.

Jack E

Putting a hole in mouthpiece is a good way of stopping a particularly bad player ruining an otherwise OK performance.
It could be the vendor's next door neighbour sneaked in and did it to stop him/her practicing incessantly.
Just needs a hose clip and a bit of plasticine to fix it.
You've reminded me of an old joke I saw, back in the 60s. Man walks into the kitchen with an electric guitar:
(wife) "Where did you get that?"
(husband) "Off the kid next door."
(wife) "But you can't play that guitar!"
(husband) "And as long as I've got it, nor can he!"

Product tMP members are discussing