On track again.... Tuba practise?

jaberger

Hi

After almost 17 years I have now taken up playing again.

I have bought a used, but nice Eb tuba, and have started to practise. Something I suspect my neighbours do not appreciate as much as I do. :D

I will, hopefully, join the local band, and also play together with some friends in a brass quintett.

First, does anyone think it' s possible for me to learn to play decent again?
And what should I practice? Do you recommend any books/ exercises?

Any help/ tips will be highly appreciated.

Regards
Jan

PeterBale

Staff member
Hello Jan - good to have you on board.

I am sure you won't have too many problems picking things up again, even after such a long time. Some of the other tuba players will probably chip in with advice, but you may find this recent thread helpful:

http://www.themouthpiece.com/viewtopic.php?t=1122

For myself, I find a combination of long notes and any melodic material tends to do the trick.

Best of luck with the practice :!:

jaberger

Short report

Hi

This is big fun! I have been practising for a week now, and I seem to remember quite a lot. Even after all these years.

Why didn't I do this many years ago....
:D

Arban - Complete Method, is that something I should own? Or is it far above my level?

Regards
Jan

Aussie Tuba

Re: Short report

jaberger said:
Arban - Complete Method, is that something I should own? Or is it far above my level?

Arban is OK But there is lots in it you will Proberbly never use , I Use the " Wright and Round Complete Method " it is smaller and not so expensive as Arban and you are more likly to use more from it than you would the Arban .
It Worked for me !!! :D

geordiecolin

At the risk of re-opening a can of worms, I too would recommend Wright and Round. Its a good little book.

I do use Arban too though. Both Arban and Wright and Round are excellent for players of any standard.

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.