On this day.....

Dave Payn

Active Member
On this day - 15th April - musical anniversaries

1688 - Composer Johann Friedrich Fasch was born.
1894 - Bessie Smith - Empress of the Blues - was born
1958 - Buddy Holly's Fender Stratocaster guitar was stolen at a St. Louis concert.
 

Well Worth It

Active Member
Dave Payn said:
1958 - Buddy Holly's Fender Stratocaster guitar was stolen at a St. Louis concert.
During a concert :?:
That was careless. How did he not notice the guy take it out of his hands :roll:
 

Dave Payn

Active Member
Well Worth It said:
Dave Payn said:
1958 - Buddy Holly's Fender Stratocaster guitar was stolen at a St. Louis concert.
During a concert :?:
That was careless. How did he not notice the guy take it out of his hands :roll:

Must have been 'plucked' from his grasp! I'm sure he didn't 'fret' too much. Don't think he was the 'highly strung' sort. ;-)
 

lynchie

Active Member
ScrapingtheBottom said:
Dave Payn said:
And in 1951 the 'cellist Julian Lloyd Webber was born

He's a 'cellist is he? I just thought he was a professional loafer!

He's a proffessional? Oh good, I'm looking after my amateur status to loaf at the olympics...
 

Well Worth It

Active Member
On this day in 2004 I lost a £20 note down a grid.
Hardly historic, but it's something I'll not forget in a hurry.
Damned Yorkshire wind.
 

Dave Payn

Active Member
Musically, on this day.... 16th April.....

1924 - Henry Mancini was born
1935 - Bobby Vinton was born
1939 - Dusty Springfield was born
1947 - Gerry Rafferty was born
1963 - Jimmy Osmond (you remember, the hirsute Scouse git or whatever it was he sung about - ;-)) was born

in 1956 - Buddy Holly released his first single, Blue Days, Black Nights

In 1965 - The Hollies opened their first tour of the US at Brooklyn Paramount Theatre in New York

In 1974 - Queen held its first US concert at Regis College in Denver
 

2nd man down

Moderator
Staff member
Dave Payn said:
Musically, on this day.... 16th April.....

1924 - Henry Mancini was born
1935 - Bobby Vinton was born
1939 - Dusty Springfield was born
1947 - Gerry Rafferty was born
1963 - Jimmy Osmond (you remember, the hirsute Scouse git or whatever it was he sung about - ;-)) was born

in 1956 - Buddy Holly released his first single, Blue Days, Black Nights

In 1965 - The Hollies opened their first tour of the US at Brooklyn Paramount Theatre in New York

In 1974 - Queen held its first US concert at Regis College in Denver

Dave, in the nicest possible way I think you really need to get out more...
 

Dave Payn

Active Member
2nd man down said:
Dave Payn said:
Musically, on this day.... 16th April.....

1924 - Henry Mancini was born
1935 - Bobby Vinton was born
1939 - Dusty Springfield was born
1947 - Gerry Rafferty was born
1963 - Jimmy Osmond (you remember, the hirsute Scouse git or whatever it was he sung about - ;-)) was born

in 1956 - Buddy Holly released his first single, Blue Days, Black Nights

In 1965 - The Hollies opened their first tour of the US at Brooklyn Paramount Theatre in New York

In 1974 - Queen held its first US concert at Regis College in Denver

Dave, in the nicest possible way I think you really need to get out more...

Well, the nicest possible way would be the front door. Least nicest? probably out of the 4th floor window near where I sit! Anyway, all the info I get is here www.On-This-Day.com

;-)
 

Product tMP members are discussing

Top