Official tMP Yorkshire Regional 2008 thread

flash harry

I heard all 12 bands yesterday in the Championship Section - a first for me.

I thought Dyke were great - the best for me. The 2 bands that also impressed me were Carlton Main and Rothwell. Both were excellent and deserve their place at the Nationals.

B&R off number 1 were impressive - some people say there was no heart in it; however, I disagree. It was a well controlled, smooth performance and they made it sound easy. They can count themselves a little unlucky - maybe on another day it would have been a different result?

Apart from the lady not allowing us in through the side door at the start of the Championship Section (the queue had been forming for a least 30 mins without anything being said and no sign had been displayed) I thought the contest organisation was excellent. It was my first time at the Yorkshire Area and I think the Midland bods could certainly learn something from them. Maybe the change of venue this year will be the start... we'll see.

P.S. It's true, the 2nd cornet and Rep for Carlton Main were awesome - well done lads.

JR

oh and special thanks to phil garlick for stepping up and nailing the rep part. Top musician. Thank You Phil..
agreed!

And to Andy Pickles for coming out of retirement to play 2nd cornet

Is the hotel booked for both bands yet?!

Is Batesy still alive?

JR

Just highlighting that your band's confidence was placed a little too high.
I really don't understand why people have to knock others all the time.
Tuba1974 is just very proud of his band - nothing wrong with that. If you don't have ambition and don't believe in your own band then it's a poor showing.

flash harry

Thoresby connection? I don't know what you mean BrotherBone!

Yep, it's true. DJ and Swanny are quality. Miss them both.

andy;-)

. Stocksbridge andyorkshire imps are due to be relagated but its a

ll to confirm.Best of luck to all the finalists in london and harrogate
Shouldn't that be Stocksbridge and Sellers to be relegated? as they didn't compete they will get 13 points (last place +1).

leisa

andy;-);584688 said:
Shouldn't that be Stocksbridge and Sellers to be relegated? as they didn't compete they will get 13 points (last place +1).

Sellers dont exist anymore?! :-?

andy;-)

Sellers dont exist anymore?! :-?
Maybe, but a band has to not compete for 3 years before they are removed from the grading tables - see the regional website - to quote "Sellers International have not entered the 2008 contest but are graded in this section."

andy;-);584694 said:
Maybe, but a band has to not compete for 3 years before they are removed from the grading tables - see the regional website - to quote "Sellers International have not entered the 2008 contest but are graded in this section."
If this is definately the case, one or two bands will be extremely relieved. How does it work with Sellers though...I know they have folded, but officially, did they withdraw from the areas or are they officially 'struck off' and exempt from grading matters?

Tracey

If you look on Yorkshire's website the bands that haven't competed this year in all sections have been awarded last place, that includes Sellars, so according to that if 2 come down from Championship section it'll be Sellars and Stocksbridge that are relegated!

kiwis

Well done to Marsden, even though i am a brighouse lass at heart, i didnt think their performance was impressive sorry to say. Did anyone hear West Yorkshire Police band play in the 3rd section on saturday, mixed reactions at the results just want some opinions.

ta
Jayne

p.s. well done to my adopted village of slaithwaite.....

Hornic

Well done to everyone at YBS Concert. After a difficult couple of years the band is well and truly back on it's feet and yesterdays result was fantastic.

A big thanks to our MD Ian Craddock who put in a huge amount of work.

Well done Slaithwaite - we look forward to seeing you in Harrogate-and a big well done to all the other successful bands.

Thanks
Nic

MarkGillatt

2nd section proms rels

Hmmm, should be some interesting decisions to be made in this VERY tight section
I have worked out that

Slaithwaite 5 + 1 = 6
Strata 3 + 4 = 7
YBS 6 + 2 = 8
Kippax 2 + 6 = 8
Holme Silver 6 + 3 = 9
Frickley 7 + 5 = 12
Dodworth 6 + 7 = 13
Horbury 4 + 9 = 13
Wetherby 9 + 8 = 17
Clifton 6 + 11 = 17
Chapeltown 8 + 10 = 18

Pick the bones out of that then :wink:

Owen

Don't forget that the gradings are taken over three years, so you need to add in the 2006 placings as well...