Official tMP West of England Regional 2008 thread

Bari2

Someone from your band suggested a page or so back that Phil had maybe taken a few liberties with the score?

Not sure where anybody from Polysteel has said this on this occasion. Phil really tried to give a reading that stuck to the score this time particularly in relation to the tempos.

MoominDave

Here, rather cryptically:

I suspect that our interpretation may have contained slightly more ingredients than were listed on the adjudicator's tin and that's the risk we take. Still we know that it went very well, and that the audience liked our performance. It's not the first time that this has happened [to us] and I'm sure it won't be the last.

By the way - dickiesplitz - is that Richard Selvidge of Graham Cross' stag do organising fame?

Bari2

On sunday spoke to a couple of polysteel players to ask how they had got on and the response was "we were excellent" "not a single slip or blip". Now I like these people but thats a fairly arrogant approach?

If we've not played well then we will be just as quick to say so, and have done in the past.

I would also be very reluctant (as I'm sure many others would) to go as far as ever saying "not a single slip or blip" as this implies a performance couldn't have been improved and that's a dangerous and unmusical attitude to have.

Accidental

Supporting Member
I suspect that our interpretation may have contained slightly more ingredients than were listed on the adjudicator's tin and that's the risk we take.
Maybe I misinterpreted that, in which case I apologise.
Please don't get me wrong - I'm a big fan of Polysteel, and of Phil (right back from when he was the wunderkind in LSC and beating me at solo contests!).

BUT, in view of the fact that the only mention of Polysteel in this thread has been by members of Polysteel.... don't you think you guys are getting a wee bit too defensive?

Its a bummer you didn't get to London but its not the end of the world. 3rd is still a bl**dy good result, there's always next year, and we all know you're a fantastic band. :)

Trigger

I'd just like to back up the members of Polysteel Band in saying that we are not AT ALL an arrogant band. We go to all contests with an open mind, we DO NOT go expecting to win everything we enter! It is actually quite upsetting to read that some people think that of us!

Many times before we have come off stage and thought our performance wasn't worthy of winning. But there's a feeling that you get on stage after you've played well, and when the audience react as they did (at the end of the performance and in the bar afterwards) you tend to hope for a better result. (those of you slagging us off, surely you've felt this as well!!)

I can't speak for the other posts on here, but no where in my previous post did I mention a band's name when I made my reference to arrogance. I have only skimmed this thread, so don't know if anyone has slagged Poly Steel off (I certainly didn't). Perhaps a little sensative there.

My major issue with some of the posts moaning about the result, is that in doing that, they are being extremly rude towards the bands that did do well, who also worked very hard and felt they should be in the running.

I didn't play in the championship section, so was fortunate enough to hear the first seven bands (I suspect that the players of the first seven bands, didn't hear all of the bands, so perhaps aren't able to comment so reliably). Poly Steel, Cambourne and Woodfalls were all bands that received big applauses after their performances - I thought all three played very well and were in with a chance. However, I thought Woodfalls had the edge and I didn't hear Mount Charles.

Stop complaining about third place - it could be far worse.

JimboFB

Clearly gone wrong... in who's opinion? Are you arrogant enough to suggest you are more qualified to judge than the guys in the box, with their years of experience, who nobody objected to before the contest?

We all know audience preference often doesn't reflect the actual results - you only have to look at the YBS/David King history to see that. Someone from your band suggested a page or so back that Phil had maybe taken a few liberties with the score? It wouldn't be the first time, his interpetations are usually fantastric, and it often produces a great result..... but you risk the adjudicators frowning on it (again, like Mr King & YBS time and again) and perhaps thats what got you marked down this time?

I wasn't actually referring to Sunday or any contest in particular, so ARROGANT??? Certainly not. My point was why should this just be accepted? I know historicaly its what has happened and 'lifes not fair' etc etc etc, but maybe its a bigger issue than just accepting it if individual adjudicators are getting it wrong.

Referring to the adjudicating (again in general not just Sunday), what makes someone more qualified in your oppinion? Surely you dont have to have played for donkeys years in a top band to hear if things are right or wrong in relation to the score?

Vickitorious

I can't speak for the other posts on here, but no where in my previous post did I mention a band's name when I made my reference to arrogance. I have only skimmed this thread, so don't know if anyone has slagged Poly Steel off (I certainly didn't). Perhaps a little sensative there.

My major issue with some of the posts moaning about the result, is that in doing that, they are being extremly rude towards the bands that did do well, who also worked very hard and felt they should be in the running.

I didn't play in the championship section, so was fortunate enough to hear the first seven bands (I suspect that the players of the first seven bands, didn't hear all of the bands, so perhaps aren't able to comment so reliably). Poly Steel, Cambourne and Woodfalls were all bands that received big applauses after their performances - I thought all three played very well and were in with a chance. However, I thought Woodfalls had the edge and I didn't hear Mount Charles.

Stop complaining about third place - it could be far worse.

I think you'll find that all of the people from Polysteel who have posted in this thread have congratulated Woodfalls and Mount Charles on their results and we did the same in person yesterday.

Its amazing how people think contests are a matter of life and death looking at this thread!

Im glad to say Im still living the day after a contest even though we didn't win.

Trigger

Clearly gone wrong... in who's opinion? Are you arrogant enough to suggest you are more qualified to judge than the guys in the box, with their years of experience, who nobody objected to before the contest?

Here here. I for one was not dissappointed with the result and also heard talk in the bar to suggest that the two top bands were in with a chance before the results - clearly people were listening to different conversations.

Trigger

I think you'll find that all of the people from Polysteel who have posted in this thread have congratulated Woodfalls and Mount Charles on their results and we did the same in person yesterday.

I'm sure you have - but what good's that if you then go and moan to high heaven about the result and prove that you don't really mean a word of congratulations.

Vickitorious

I'm sure you have - but what good's that if you then go and moan to high heaven about the result and prove that you don't really mean a word of congratulations.

Re-read my post? Did I complain about the result or just say that we were disappointed or hoped for a higher result?

There's a difference!!!

Trigger

Re-read my post? Did I complain about the result or just say that we were disappointed or hoped for a higher result?

There's a difference!!!

Re-read mine then! I wasn't refering to your post in particular - I was refering to all those that were slagging off the results - and that's everyone not just Poly Steel players.

Vickitorious

Re-read mine then! I wasn't refering to your post in particular - I was refering to all those that were slagging off the results - and that's everyone not just Poly Steel players.

OK, Sorry I misinterpreted your post.

I'm on not on here to cause any trouble I'm actually just a harmless little horn player who wants to defend some very good friends in my band. :(

I'm not saying anything else on the matter or in the thread! It's just getting out of hand now and i'm sure these petty arguments were not intended.

This will probably be my last post for another 6 months!! :tongue:

Bye bye everyone!

xxx

Trigger

OK, Sorry I misinterpreted your post.

I'm on not on here to cause any trouble I'm actually just a harmless little horn player who wants to defend some very good friends in my band. :(

I'm not saying anything else on the matter or in the thread! It's just getting out of hand now and i'm sure these petty arguments were not intended.

This will probably be my last post for another 6 months!! :tongue:

Bye bye everyone!

xxx

I'm just a little horn player too :) and I don't want to upset anyone either. I don't even play in the section and in fact my band came last this weekend (quite deserved I might add). But I also have friends in one of the qualifying bands and have seen first hand how much work they put in and how happy they were to qualify.

I never get involved in these conversations on here, but put one post and like you say - all gets out of hand.

Last edited:
what were peoples oppinions on the way bands played??

I heard 2 bands

St Austell - what an improvement on last year, I felt they had some real classy soloists especially Graham Hooper on Trombone, Rachel Whittaker on Sop & Hannah Hawken on the end chair, there band sound was round and the only problem was some unforced errors. But such an improvement and one they should all be proud of.

Albourne - this is the first time i have heard them and felt the balance in the sections was abit top heavy, but a good reading from Melvin White

CJBaggins

Food!

Can i just say a congratulations to the Catering staff at the Riviera centre for those lovely flapjacks that they sell! just the right thing to eat before going on stage! Lovely stuff!!

also Congratulations to Helston Town for their victory in the first section:clap:

Fun weekend, shame about the weather tho, the wind quite seriously hampered my crazy golf skills! Thankfully no innocent people were injured!!:biggrin:

Wifey

I have to say I listened to quite of a few of the champ section yesterday and I would of had Polysteel 1st and Mount Charles 2nd!

tuba_wuba_duba

Dear all,

I enjoy healthy debate as much as the next man but i fear that those of you who have posted in response to some of my fellow Polysteelers, with the greatest of respect, may be taking things just a little out of context and perhaps too far.

I am not a regular poster on tMP so am far fro qualified to judge how these threads usually operate, but as far as I can tell no member of the band has shown any serious negative view towards any specific person or people, be they conductors, adjudicators or bands, within their posts.

There has simply been good natured and frank (and what I believe to be necessary!) discussion with regard to the inconsistent nature of adjudication, spanning all areas and sections at this present moment in time. What we can do about this situation is a topic for another thread all together, but surely the time as come to consider a regulated form of standardised adjudication style across our movement in all contesting arenas.

As a member of the PolySteel and I feel extremely proud of the performance given at the Riviera on Sunday, both from a technical and musical standpoint and whilst it was not with out the odd clip (as I can assure you all of the days performances were not!) I feel we achieved our goal of making a stand out performance of real musical worth, and it is of great regret that we will not be attending RAH this year.

Having said that, congratulations must be offered to SWT Woodfalls and Mount Charles. The chance to appear on the most famous stage in the world and get swallowed by the atmosphere is a golden one.

I think it is a question of if the cap fits, but in the early posts about the contest it was certainly Polysteel players making the most noise and if you read them there is no mention of other bands just a tirade of criticism of adjudicators.

Bari2

I think it is a question of if the cap fits, but in the early posts about the contest it was certainly Polysteel players making the most noise and if you read them there is no mention of other bands just a tirade of criticism of adjudicators.

The second comment by a Polysteel player after yesterday's contest said "Well done to Mount Charles and Woodfalls and to Lydbrook for a fine 5th place", so perhaps you either have a case of selective memory or just chose to ignore this completely in order to have another dig at Polysteel.:mad:

Product tMP members are discussing